• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Relishing New Life, Challenge of Resurrecting Wake Forest

"Remember, it's a process," Williams says. "You'll get there. But it's a process."

A short time later, in his private dressing room, Manning leans back in a leather chair and shrugs when asked about Williams' comment.

"He's right," Manning says. "It's definitely a process.

"But who says it has to be slow?"

<3

"He's the best big-man coach in the country," said Markieff Morris, now with the Phoenix Suns. "I owe most of my success to him."

(Thomas later reveals that Manning instructs the Demon Deacons to foul him forcefully each time he touches the ball during practice. If Thomas responds violently or even hints that he's frustrated, Manning makes him run.

In September the Morris twins, his protégés at Kansas, called to tell him they'd received long-term contract extensions from the Phoenix Suns. He said he takes just as much joy in seeing a guy like former Jayhawk Tyrel Reed earn various postgraduate degrees.

Good article. thanks for posting.

Very good article. Recommended reading. Helps to understand who DM is.
Also makes me grateful that he's our coach, hopefully for a very long time.

Manning said the private school with approximately 8,000 students has higher admission standards than most of its competitors in the ACC, a conference whose depth is a challenge for even its elite basketball programs.

Wait, what?

"Playing Duke and Louisville close doesn't mean anything to me," Manning says. "Coaches get fired for moral victories. A lot of coaches out there have great graduation rates and a lot of moral victories—but at the end of the day, they don't have jobs."

That's why Manning will continue to get up for 7:30 a.m. film sessions. It's why he'll spend his summers traversing the country to recruit when he could be sitting at home, basking in his NBA riches. It's why he'll continue to read playbooks and seek advice from mentors.

Just like he was after all of those knee injuries, Manning is determined to conquer his newest challenge.

And too stubborn to fail.

"This is my passion," Manning says. "No one can take that away."

This is a damn breath of fresh air. We are going to be good again.

Awesome article! I'm all in with DM. I think he's going to serve MSD very well over his tenure here. Go Deacs!

Wow! I knew I liked Manning from the early first impressions and his pretty straight-forward approach to answering questions at a post-game presser (and for being nice to my mom at the Deacon Store! ;) but this article makes me love the man.

His earnest approach, coupled with his presence borne of his success playing, as well as his ability to communicate effectively should bring him many wins and success at Wake. You're on notice ACC!! Go Deacs!

That is a really well written article. Possibly the best I have ever seen on BR. There is a lot of trash on that site.

Thanks for sharing.....

Had some questions about the hire initially, and he's got some growing to do in the position, but I surely like where this team seems headed.

I hope we make a little bit of noise (at least) in the ACCT.

Good stuff, that article has me fired up! I'm convinced some very good times are coming.

It is a pleasure to watch Manning and Clawson build their respective programs. We have a lot to look forward to with these guys in charge.

Back