• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Relishing New Life, Challenge of Resurrecting Wake Forest

"He's the best big-man coach in the country," said Markieff Morris, now with the Phoenix Suns. "I owe most of my success to him."
(Thomas later reveals that Manning instructs the Demon Deacons to foul him forcefully each time he touches the ball during practice. If Thomas responds violently or even hints that he's frustrated, Manning makes him run.

In September the Morris twins, his protégés at Kansas, called to tell him they'd received long-term contract extensions from the Phoenix Suns. He said he takes just as much joy in seeing a guy like former Jayhawk Tyrel Reed earn various postgraduate degrees.

Good article. thanks for posting.

You beat me to it. So I'm bolding and quoting. Good article.

Manning is just plain terrific. My only concern is keeping him at Wake. He is a great person and a great recruiter which should, but not always, go hand in hand.

Let's not waste a moment speculating whether or not Wake got a great coach in Danny. He is great and thus the future of Wake basketball is equally terrific.

Manning is just plain terrific. My only concern is keeping him at Wake. He is a great person and a great recruiter which should, but not always, go hand in hand.

Let's not waste a moment speculating whether or not Wake got a great coach in Danny. He is great and thus the future of Wake basketball is equally terrific.

it's been said before but if someone lures manning away from here we will be in very good shape so it will not be a bad problem to have.

I just don't get this concern. For him to be lured away, he would need to get Wake back on top. What other jobs would he go to at that point? You figure a few years of rebuilding at Wake. At that point he's in his early 50's. Kansas, I guess, would be the obvious choice, but Manning is only 4 years younger than Self. Otherwise, he's on Tobacco Road, coaching one of the original ACC Big 4 teams, in the best conference, living where he grew up. If Manning succeeds at Wake, he retires at Wake, IMO.

Fantastic article and real insight into Coach Manning. Man it is nice to be positive about the future of the program. Damn shame our amazingly stubborn AD couldn't have done something before it was so decimated.

I just don't get this concern. For him to be lured away, he would need to get Wake back on top. What other jobs would he go to at that point? You figure a few years of rebuilding at Wake. At that point he's in his early 50's. Kansas, I guess, would be the obvious choice, but Manning is only 4 years younger than Self. Otherwise, he's on Tobacco Road, coaching one of the original ACC Big 4 teams, in the best conference, living where he grew up. If Manning succeeds at Wake, he retires at Wake, IMO.

Hope you're right

Reading the comments made me realize that we must now be every Jayhawks' fan de facto second favorite team.

He is pretty easily the most beloved player or coach in KU history, which says quite a bit.

As an alumnus living in Winston, his hire got me to buy season tickets for as long as he's here. I've talked to several other area alumni who are now WF fans too. Everyone loves the guy.

NBA job.

But if he gets one of those then he will have done an excellent job at Wake and I'm fine with that.

Last edited:
NBA job.

But if he gets one of those then he will have done an excellent just at Wake and I'm fine with that.

True. NBA job is the one thing I didn't consider. Fingers crossed that he simply enjoys the college game and being close to home more. But, even more so than worries about other college jobs, if he gets called up to the NBA, it's because he's done something really special at Wake.

NBA job.

But if he gets one of those then he will have done an excellent job at Wake and I'm fine with that.

from his comments he seems like more of a college coach then nba. more in to the molding of men than Xs and Os. Could be wrong, obviously, but that's how it feels.

There's probably like 10 no brainer jobs better than Wake if you're crushing it at Wake

Not too concerned about him leaving unless he wants a shot at the NBA

Danny is 'home' now. He grew up in Greensboro and as he said in the article, he's come full circle.
If he can coach at a great school in the ACC and live in an area that he loves, and the fans love him........why would he leave?
Don't say money. It's not an issue like an up an coming coach.

God, we are already wringing our hands about losing Manning...This Board needs to collectively see a shrink.

The Greensboro stuff may just be a nice PR talking point. Besides Kansas, other ACC jobs and the NBA, he would probably look at Ky,Fla,Az or Texas and maybe UCLA. Any others that would be hard for him to turn down?

Last edited:

Great article on Manning. This guy has it all together. Meticulous in all aspects of preparation whether it be basketball or personal issues. Very proactive. He is a winner who has been there and done that. Look for many great things from Coach Manning. My only lament is that it took four years of lliteral HELL for Wellman to realize this fact.

The Greensboro stuff may just be a nice PR talking point. Besides Kansas, other ACC jobs and the NBA, he would probably look at Ky,Fla,Az or Texas and maybe UCLA. Any others that would be hard for him to turn down?

Mich St/Mich? OSU?

Back