• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning Relishing New Life, Challenge of Resurrecting Wake Forest

Is this for real? If it was up to Ron [name redacted] would still be our coach.

"He has immediate credibility," Wellman said. "But that credibility is only good for so long, and then he has to perform."

Yeah I thought that was an interesting quote from Wellman too. Don't think he ever said anything that blunt about redacted.

The more I learn about DM the more I like the hire.

Being a student of the game, as he is portrayed, should alleviate some of the concerns about the in game learning he needs.

I'd say the biggest risk to DM leaving is if he can't get some big time recruits to come here. If he can bring in the top players this can be one of the best jobs in CBB. A rapid basketball fan base that has a low level of lunatics that will make your life miserable every day. Get us to a Final 4 and he's a god here, get KU/KY etc to a final 4 they want to know why you didn't win it all.

Clawson and Manning are the real deals. RW may have had a rough stretch, to say the least, but scored off the charts with these guys. Clawson will make us very good. We're going to be winning championships with Manning. Not just ACCT, but NCAAT.

Last edited:
If Manning was aiming for the NBA, he probably would have taken an NBA assistant job at some point.

Yeah I thought that was an interesting quote from Wellman too. Don't think he ever said anything that blunt about redacted.

That's why Ron Wellman is a piece of shit.

Manning is doing a very good job right now. Why is Wellman, in his capacity as Manning's boss, choosing to downplay his accomplishments on the basketball court and on the recruiting trail? A hire that struck a lot of folks as mediocre at the time is making Ron look competent again and that's his quote?

#WellmanOUT

I just don't get this concern. For him to be lured away, he would need to get Wake back on top. What other jobs would he go to at that point? You figure a few years of rebuilding at Wake. At that point he's in his early 50's. Kansas, I guess, would be the obvious choice, but Manning is only 4 years younger than Self. Otherwise, he's on Tobacco Road, coaching one of the original ACC Big 4 teams, in the best conference, living where he grew up. If Manning succeeds at Wake, he retires at Wake, IMO.
My sentiments exactly.

Good grief. Wellman was saying that at some point you have to perform beyond reputation, particularly with winning over players, and he HAS by proving to the players he is a good coach.

Good grief. Wellman was saying that at some point you have to perform beyond reputation, particularly with winning over players, and he HAS by proving to the players he is a good coach.
But that's just not the quote you give right now.

I would not be surprised if Wellman regrets letting Bz go because Bz had a winning record last year and it is unlikely Manning will have one this year. He probably thinks Bz would have 20+ wins and an NIT bid with this team.

I would not be surprised if Wellman regrets letting Bz go because Bz had a winning record last year and it is unlikely Manning will have one this year. He probably thinks Bz would have 20+ wins and an NIT bid with this team.

Completely plausible and that's why PE teachers from Bowling Green shouldn't be put in charge of evaluating basketball coaches.

"He (Manning) has immediate credibility" said Wellman.

That makes one of them.

NC State, South Carolina.

Look, if Manning succeeds here, there will be plenty of opportunities for him to get a higher profile gig someplace else that will probably pay better. KU is not the only place in the world that can happen.

Exactly. Pull for KU and Bill Self. Which is easy for me Bro in Law and Nephew are Alumni.

It feels so damn good to be reenergized on Wake Forest Basketball. Prediction...I will be willing to step in front of a locomotive for Danny Manning 24 months from now (if not sooner).

It's not the best quote, but it's not worth ranting about either. In context it was meant to say manning isn't just reputation, he is a good coach too.

It's funny, though, because Ron was plenty eloquent when it came to sticking up for [Redacted]. And that dude had no credibility on or off of the court.

If that's how the public face of Wake Forest athletics says "Manning isn't just reputation, he is a good coach too," then we're in trouble because that's not what he said. Danny has accomplished more as a coach of Wake Forest in six months than [Redacted] did in four years. He's definitely performing.

It feels so damn good to be reenergized on Wake Forest Basketball. Prediction...I will be willing to step in front of a locomotive for Danny Manning 24 months from now (if not sooner).

That train would probably go right through you and kill him too. Just push him out of the way instead.

At least Greensboro has moved 30 miles closer to Winston than it was when I first read this article. Someone at BR did some editing. That's rare.

Back