• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

UNCW just fired their head coach, former Heel asst., CB McGrath. Some schools take action quickly.

I can’t believe people would be down on Beilein when he was just hired to the NBA out of Michigan less than a year ago for being so awesome.

Ageism!!!

He’s still be one of the younger coaches in the ACC. Well, not really... But he’d be near the middle.

Exactly how I feel. Have gone well past anger to just laughing at the incompetence from the AD.

At this point, how many people will ever feel the way they did about Wake Basketball? I believe that ship has sailed forever.

Such an interesting question, and probably the biggest question lingering over Wake sports at the moment. I don’t know if I’ll fall back in love with Wake basketball. I’ve hated Wellman, Bzzz, and Manning for so long and so hard I doubt I’ll ever really care that much again, even if we are ever good again. I tend to think we are DePaul, San Francisco or Houston now. We’re fucked. I hope I’m wrong. But I’m pretty much over it now anyway.

I tend to think we are DePaul, San Francisco or Houston now. We’re fucked. I hope I’m wrong. But I’m pretty much over it now anyway.

It’s kind of pathetic, but I think the situation isn’t that dire solely because Wake is in the ACC.

I’d argue it’s much worse for Wake, SF, Houston and DePaul were in conferences that were much easier to climb out of the cellar than the ACC

Whenever you see an incredibly stupid basketball related post there’s like a 75% chance it was made by PTown or knowell. Definitely out on a 67 year old guy who in the last week called a bunch of players “thugs”.

Ok genius. We’ll just defer to you from now on.

Guy is like 70 years old! That would really excite the fan base and the recruits :rolleyes: By the time he could MAYBE turn us around, he'd be dead

It would be a Mack Brown-esque hire. Seems like that is working out just fine. I’m all for hiring Belien. It’s not like he looks physically or mentally out of it.

It would be a Mack Brown-esque hire. Seems like that is working out just fine. I’m all for hiring Belien. It’s not like he looks physically or mentally out of it.

Brown got fired for running a blue blood into the ground and was effectively unemployed for, what, five years? In contrast, Beilein won at least 30 games his last two years and got hired for a better job for which he was obviously a bad fit.

I would worry a little bit about how the whole thugs thing would impact his ability to recruit, but, as a college basketball coach, he isn't washed up in the way that Brown was / is.

Brown got fired for running a blue blood into the ground and was effectively unemployed for, what, five years? In contrast, Beilein won at least 30 games his last two years and got hired for a better job for which he was obviously a bad fit.

I would worry a little bit about how the whole thugs thing would impact his ability to recruit, but, as a college basketball coach, he isn't washed up in the way that Brown was / is.

I agree. I was trying to prove the point that being old doesn’t mean you can’t bring revitalized energy and excitement in the program. If you’re a good coach it doesn’t matter.

Belien is in much better health than Mack, and he’s also not as sleazy. I agree with you as well, he’s had about as much success as you could ask for at the collegiate level. Things just haven’t worked out in the NBA.

I agree. I was trying to prove the point that being old doesn’t mean you can’t bring revitalized energy and excitement in the program. If you’re a good coach it doesn’t matter.

Belien is in much better health than Mack, and he’s also not as sleazy. I agree with you as well, he’s had about as much success as you could ask for at the collegiate level. Things just haven’t worked out in the NBA.

Ok boomer

Such an interesting question, and probably the biggest question lingering over Wake sports at the moment. I don’t know if I’ll fall back in love with Wake basketball. I’ve hated Wellman, Bzzz, and Manning for so long and so hard I doubt I’ll ever really care that much again, even if we are ever good again. I tend to think we are DePaul, San Francisco or Houston now. We’re fucked. I hope I’m wrong. But I’m pretty much over it now anyway.

I went to watch us play at the Joel before the holiday break. I haven't been in years but had free tickets from someone I often go to football games with so didn't want to say no. Plus I took my son who couldn't remember the last time he'd watched a CBB game much less WF. It was like being in an alternate universe. I felt almost no connection to anything there. Weird. I showed my son where we sat for games when I was a student and it was surreal how far away that seems.

It will be very hard for me to care again, too. A coach with a great personality and a competitive team will help, but it will be hard to really care like I used to. I think it is time to start talking about the "lost generation" rather than the "lost decade."

Also, the only thing crazier than not wanting Beilein is hoping he'd come to wake. I would buy season tickets the day we announced hiring him.

Is Pat Kelsey back in the conversation this year? I think his weird deal with Winthrop and UMass ends this year. Winthrop lost at Cameron by less than Wake did. They also have a top 20 win over #18 St. Mary's (CA).

Let's see, he's about 70. That's a positive. He called his players "thugs". I'm sure other programs won't use that against us in recruiting.

This is a good place to start rebuilding a program.

Let's see, he's about 70. That's a positive. He called his players "thugs". I'm sure other programs won't use that against us in recruiting.

This is a good place to start rebuilding a program.

He is almost 67. Who cares? He could be 80 and have more energy and personality than our last two coaches put together. He has offered his explanation and apology for what he said, and met individually with his players who have said they support him. He's been around a long time and I haven't heard of him having a reputation or history of being racially insensitive.

It would be pleasant change for programs to have to recruit against us again...I doubt we get mentioned in many recruiting battles as it is. And I would think his 2 Final Fours, 2 Big Ten conference championships, and 2 regular season championships (in the last eight years) would be a fine place to start rebuilding a program.

I went to watch us play at the Joel before the holiday break. I haven't been in years but had free tickets from someone I often go to football games with so didn't want to say no. Plus I took my son who couldn't remember the last time he'd watched a CBB game much less WF. It was like being in an alternate universe. I felt almost no connection to anything there. Weird. I showed my son where we sat for games when I was a student and it was surreal how far away that seems.

It will be very hard for me to care again, too. A coach with a great personality and a competitive team will help, but it will be hard to really care like I used to. I think it is time to start talking about the "lost generation" rather than the "lost decade."

You are both wrong

Just in terms how you will react IF Wake ever returns to being good in MBB again.

I don't give a fuck either but you both know, just as I do, that the fire is still kindling inside of us and just waiting for a true catalyst.

Note to AD Currie: That catalyst isn't same old boring, terrible, and in over his head Danny Manning. Get rid.

As I've said over and over again, the AD should NOT hire anyone over 60 for Head Couch in 2020

Back