• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Anybody nervous yet that Manning will be back next year?

I am. Unlike some other people, I don’t have any inside sources. But i’m concerned. The team played very well today. It looked like a well oiled machine. One thing that (I thought) would give the athletic department no choice would be attendance and fan feedback. But there was a really good crowd at the Joel today. It was loud. Coming off of one big win, and we had a great atmosphere.

The thing Currie has to realize, is that if the season was flipped, there would be no excitement now to end the season. We lost to Charlotte, got beat by State at home in front of nobody, lost to Duke by over THIRTY, lost to Boston College, and lost to a bad VT team by 10 on our home floor. 14th place in the ACC is unacceptable to be polite. This cannot be overlooked.

If Danny Manning wins the ACC tournament, or somehow finds a way into the NIT, I don’t think I could be upset with Currie retaining Manning. He’s got some talent on this team. We saw today an NBA talent, that wasn’t worth a damn coming into Wake. Chaundee Brown is outstanding. Neath is going to be a star. We have potential to be a very good basketball team. I know it’s not what we or I want long term, but I don’t think I could be upset at Currie if Manning found a way to do the things above, which we thought were impossible about a week ago.

I would want to what grad transfer he’d guarantee playing time for before retaining him under any circumstance.

I'll start getting nervous at halftime on Saturday of the ACCT if we are still alive.

This is why you fire someone in the middle of the year - you don't allow them to go on a run. I will say that I have been impressed with this team especially once Chaundee came back. Can't help but think if he had played the whole year that we might be 500 in conference. The team has consistently played very hard and the offense has improved with better ball movement.

Anybody nervous yet that Manning will be back next year?

More than nervous. He was retained last year with a team that played awful and lost 20 games with no chemistry and little effort.

Currie can legitimately point to improved play down the stretch and say the team has turned a corner.

I would bet on a return if Wake plays at all well these last few games.

This is why you fire someone in the middle of the year - you don't allow them to go on a run. I will say that I have been impressed with this team especially once Chaundee came back. Can't help but think if he had played the whole year that we might be 500 in conference. The team has consistently played very hard and the offense has improved with better ball movement.

Yes, same guy.

Not the same Chris King.

I am blown away that there are some fans that are actually wanting Manning to come back. I have heard from a couple of fans that I actually like and respect. It's just stupid, pathetic and embarrassing for the fan base as a whole.

Not the same Chris King.

Yeah, I don't think it's the same guy. Surely the article would have said so.

I'm glad that Manning is ending his tenure on a high note, but it should still end his tenure. Nothing short of an ACC tourney title and deep run in the NCAAs (which are not happening) should be enough for him to keep his job. Even if a light somewhere is really starting to come on for him, it's time to move on.

I’m not gonna say I’m worried... But we have two VERY important games next week on the road against in-state rivals.

Those are not games that would be good to win if we want a new coach.

Yeah, I don't think it's the same guy. Surely the article would have said so.

I'm glad that Manning is ending his tenure on a high note, but it should still end his tenure. Nothing short of an ACC tourney title and deep run in the NCAAs (which are not happening) should be enough for him to keep his job. Even if a light somewhere is really starting to come on for him, it's time to move on.

Agree, and it doesn't sound like what a former player would say. It's not the Chris King that found Tim Duncan and embezzled from the University.

Assume it's this guy
5c22660a00e24327b8d68d40b86e1a7e.jpg

I think the recent success dooms Danny more. It shows there is decent talent to have won much more than we have this year.

I prefer Miller to Forbes for a variety of reasons. But still hoping for a bigger splash hire.

Say what? Forbes' resume is 100 times better than Miller's. More successful in the same conference and a much more impressive tenure as an asst coach. The only issue with Forbes is his association with Pearl at Tenn and his reliance on Jucos at UTC. As has been stated a billion times on here, Currie has a history with Forbes, so he should already have a good feel if he fits/doesn't fit with Wake.

Financial reasons. If he’s back, which may very well be the case, it all boils down to financial reasons. Don’t trouble yourself with things you have no control over.

Shaka's team playing him out of the Manning replacement sweepstakes. TX beat TX Tech.

Fuck all of you people who are enjoying this little run of passable results. You are the reason this basketball program is mired in a death spiral. What a joke.

We are mired in a death spiral because we apparently gave manning a contract that we can’t afford to terminate. If he’s back it’s because Currie couldn’t raise the money. It’s not because 1000 more people came to the Joel to see us beat a below average ND team.

I obviously don't know the exact numbers but the data laid out by Conor's article would indicate we are hemorrhaging money in attendance revenue. Lowest average attendance ever at the joel. Yeah it's time for a change

Lowest attendance in the Joel ever, finish in bottom half of ACC standings, worst recruiting class in ACC next year, 5 of 6 losing seasons for Manning, Childress, Sarr and Brown could all be gone. NO WAY IN HELL Manning should be back next year regardless of a few lucky wins or regardless of buyout. Currie needs to make the right decision.

Back