• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Danny Manning replacement search thread

Okay, then can you forward a copy of the contract so we can confirm.

I'm so confused as to why any single Coach is the answers to all of our problems. Coaches come and go. They also die. We have generally sucked for decades regardless of whom the Coach was with the exception of some normal outlier type luck mainly caused by Tim Duncan falling in our lap.

Don't get me wrong. I want to buy out Manning AND invest in facilities--namely a basketball home. But if faced with choosing one or the other, I would definitely choose the option of infrastructure that will last decades not a quick Coach for our team that is still going to suck through 2025 minimum.

Wake had way more success, which I will define as winning record, NCAA tournament appearances and upper third finishes in ACC regular season, than the four years of Tim Duncan. Tacy's teams made the elite 8. Odom's teams made NCAA tournament before TD arrived. Skip's teams made the NCAA Tournament and had winning records. Most here recognize a good coach could have Wake thete again.

Netflix is wishin' n hopin' that the contract has no acceleration clause.
Truth is, who the hell knows if it does or not?

Ron Goddamn Wellman negotiated this fucking thing. He could've given Manning anything. And, until I see evidence to the contrary, that's what I'm angrily assuming.

I'm so confused as to why any single Coach is the answers to all of our problems. Coaches come and go. They also die. We have generally sucked for decades regardless of whom the Coach was with the exception of some normal outlier type luck mainly caused by Tim Duncan falling in our lap.

Don't get me wrong. I want to buy out Manning AND invest in facilities--namely a basketball home. But if faced with choosing one or the other, I would definitely choose the option of infrastructure that will last decades not a quick Coach for our team that is still going to suck through 2025 minimum.

Totally disagree. College hoops is a coach's medium. So is college football. There are plenty examples of programs who have amazing seasons and/or make wild Final 4 runs with horrific infrastructure but great coaches (who are also savvy dynamic recruiters despite shitty facilities). Hell, they've even made inspirational movies about some of these programs.

I think you have a bit of an issue of crafting the narrative to fit your thinking. This is a common problem successful people have. And then they simply don't have enough people in their lives calling them out for it. So, you're welcome.

Not to mention that facilities are top notch right now, aside from perhaps the actual arena where we play the games.

It's the coach that has been the missing piece over the last decade... Not sure how you could argue otherwise at this point.

why do y'all even respond to DR at this point? if he's not trolling, then he's an idiot and doesn't have 1/10000th as much sway as he believes that he has. i can't believe he incepted some of y'all into believing wes miller and Cameron indoor (Winston-Salem) can fix this shitshow.

why do y'all even respond to DR at this point? if he's not trolling, then he's an idiot and doesn't have 1/10000th as much sway as he believes that he has. i can't believe he incepted some of y'all into believing wes miller and Cameron indoor (Winston-Salem) can fix this shitshow.
He started the incepting in 1976.
Only he knew the Golden Child, Wes Miller would come. If only we built what Duke had not yet done.
Such is the High Holy Wisdom of Donald Ross.

Ross is spot on, let’s keep doing what we’ve done - been really successful since 1962

In the 20 years from 1990- 2010 Wake made 14 NCAA tournaments and over that span had the 4th highest winning percentage in the conference, trailing Maryland for 3rd by only one game. While we aren’t elite we are certainly a top 50 program at a minimum. Why would anyone act like we are a perennial doormat?

In the 20 years from 1990- 2010 Wake made 14 NCAA tournaments and over that span had the 4th highest winning percentage in the conference, trailing Maryland for 3rd by only one game. While we aren’t elite we are certainly a top 50 program at a minimum. Why would anyone act like we are a perennial doormat?

We went to the post season 18 out of the 20 years preceding [name redacted]. 14/20 were to the NCAA's. Only one losing season in those two decades. We were better than a Top 50 program over that span...more like Top 25.

From March 2014:
Despite the Buzz error, since Odom started in 1989, Wake is still ranked #22 in Top 25 appearances, #23 in Top 10 appearances, #25 in Top 5 appearances, and #23 in #1 appearances. For the more recent years during which Skip and Dino coached, Wake was #15 in Top 25, #15 in the Top 10, #17 in Top 5, and #15 in #1 appearances.

How long do you need to be a doomat for it to become perennial?

We're at a decade.

And ranking and win/loss aside, watching Wake play was so much fun before the bzzaster and the mannequin.

We’ve made 2 straight bad hires. Get it right this time and we can bounce back pretty quickly. We aren’t at the point of no return, not even close. Look at the 10 years before Bennett got to Virginia as a good example.

I recall Liquid Karma specifically predicting that BzHire would put us in the wilderness for a decade. Boy was he right.

We’ve made 2 straight bad hires. Get it right this time and we can bounce back pretty quickly. We aren’t at the point of no return, not even close. Look at the 10 years before Bennett got to Virginia as a good example.

I concur if you believe the current regime is able to 1)identify and 2)hire a coach approximating Bennett who had won 67% of his games (at Pac12 doormat Washington State).

I don’t think any of us know what hire Currie would/will make but I’m choosing to be optimistic. Wellman is gone and I’m going glass half full with Currie until he proves otherwise.

I will say most UVA fans were initially upset about the Bennett hire. No way he can recruit good players to that style of play, won’t work in the ACC, etc.

Totally disagree. College hoops is a coach's medium. So is college football. There are plenty examples of programs who have amazing seasons and/or make wild Final 4 runs with horrific infrastructure but great coaches (who are also savvy dynamic recruiters despite shitty facilities). Hell, they've even made inspirational movies about some of these programs.

I think you have a bit of an issue of crafting the narrative to fit your thinking. This is a common problem successful people have. And then they simply don't have enough people in their lives calling them out for it. So, you're welcome.

Yeah. Butler went to back to back title games.

What a shitty LOWF take. Why even bother? So wanna be power brokers can have their names on a building?? Are you saving up? Give me a break. We are much more than getting lucky with Tim Duncan.

Back