• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's Latest Blog Post

I have posted before that there is literally nothing Bzz can do to win me over. I don't care how many games he wins (not that I'm really worried about that actually happening).

Ditto. Can't stand him.

Among our problems is just plain shooting ourselves in the foot. On one hand we seem to be able to over come this several times during the games but it finally breaks us.

Some that I remember off the top of my head.

- The 7 point Danny Green play (i.e. intentional foul)
- Green with two moving screens on two of three times on offense
- Miami game, we foul the shooter, he misses the FT, they get the rebound, we foul them again, they miss, they rebound, they hit a 3 for a 5 point trip
- Miami scores, Travis makes a lazy 2 ft pass to TC that is intercepted for a layup. Then CJ is trapped and we cough the ball up for an easy transition basket, we give up 6-7 points without even taking a shot.

We've done this game after game, frequently the team buckles down and comes back from it but eventually this becomes the breaking point in the game, so you can assume that we've gone from a close game to an immediate double digit deficit.

You just can't continue to do this. I'd be hard pressed to see the 'coaching' issues in the examples above.

Then you add in the fact that we go cold from the floor and it multiplies quickly.

I don't know if Bzz is the right coach, but some of this garbage is self inflicted by our players.

We'll be better next year, but I have not seen anything in the coaching or recruiting that indicates that [Redacted] will elevate the program.

50 games in, and we are fundamentally weak. We lack discipline on defense and seem to have no plan on offense. The one promising thing is our transition offense has improved majorly. These aren't talent issues; they are coaching issues.

The offense was compitent in the first half yesterday. They were setting solid screens, moving the ball from side to side and kept Miami off balance. The zone was aggressive enough keep Miami in check.

The second half was a joke.

So, at the end of the day I'm tired of even assigning blame. We obviously lack talent, we have no depth, our coach seems unable to keep their minds in the game and fails to make in game adjustments when the opposing team makes their own. Meh.

We have a good class coming in. We'll see what Bzz does with it.

You should read the comments section. deacfreke and Dan are going at it. Dan just bitchslapped deacfreke on a manner that is going to leave a mark for quite some time. LOL.

Among our problems is just plain shooting ourselves in the foot. On one hand we seem to be able to over come this several times during the games but it finally breaks us.

Some that I remember off the top of my head.

- The 7 point Danny Green play (i.e. intentional foul)
- Green with two moving screens on two of three times on offense
- Miami game, we foul the shooter, he misses the FT, they get the rebound, we foul them again, they miss, they rebound, they hit a 3 for a 5 point trip
- Miami scores, Travis makes a lazy 2 ft pass to TC that is intercepted for a layup. Then CJ is trapped and we cough the ball up for an easy transition basket, we give up 6-7 points without even taking a shot.

We've done this game after game, frequently the team buckles down and comes back from it but eventually this becomes the breaking point in the game, so you can assume that we've gone from a close game to an immediate double digit deficit.

You just can't continue to do this. I'd be hard pressed to see the 'coaching' issues in the examples above.

Then you add in the fact that we go cold from the floor and it multiplies quickly.

I don't know if Bzz is the right coach, but some of this garbage is self inflicted by our players.

So learning to set proper screens, teaching the team discipline, and getting proper rebounding position are not things that coaches coach?

When we have better players are we reach 6th or 7th in the conference the celebration is going to make me sick. The time is now, let's make a run at someone with a ceiling worth celebrating that we can build a program around. Bz was never supposed to be the long-term answer. Cut the cord.

Funny thing is that last season we had quite a bit more athleticism, but all the buzzsuckers were telling us that our two most athletic players leaving would be addition by subtraction so even though we might not win very many more games we would certainly look much better.

Huh...

I just believe bzzz is our sendek. He may never endear himself to our fanbase.

Watching bzzz when Chase went down with an injury right in front of him, told me all I needed to know. His non-verbal language says it all.

Sendek >>>>>>>>> Bz

The Sendek hatred at State wasn't rational. The guy took them to a couple of Sweet 16's and rebuilt their program. Under Bz we are historically terrible, and unlike Sendek and State we were a tournament team the year before Bz got here.

We'll be better next year, but I have not seen anything in the coaching or recruiting that indicates that [Redacted] will elevate the program.

50 games in, and we are fundamentally weak. We lack discipline on defense and seem to have no plan on offense. The one promising thing is our transition offense has improved majorly. These aren't talent issues; they are coaching issues.

You need talent to execute a game plan. They are interrelated. Look at Jim Caldwell - with and without Peyton Manning. Did his coaching change dramatically in one year?

You need talent to execute a game plan. They are interrelated. Look at Jim Caldwell - with and without Peyton Manning. Did his coaching change dramatically in one year?

I don't think you're making the point you are trying to make. Yes, talent can cover for a bad coach. We saw that with Dino. Are you saying that is our best hope for [Redacted]?

I don't think you're making the point you are trying to make. Yes, talent can cover for a bad coach. We saw that with Dino. Are you saying that is our best hope for [Redacted]?

No, I am simply saying people are judging his coaching as poor. Given the talent level and lack of depth I don't think that is a reasonable assumption, or, at least an assessment that can be accurately made yet. We'll know more next year and, I personally think many of the skeptics will be surprised.

Bzzzz is almost 60 years old and has a losing record in college basketball. His only success was with a ready made team at AF.

That's why people are skeptical.

And to say that no assessment can be made after two years isn't accurate also. You can see signs of development even with bad teams (BC this year is a good example).

There is no pressure from the top down to actually win games and it is reflected in Bzz's coaching and the players' performance.

I wish somebody with the power would tell Bzz he's gone if doesn't win at least two more games this year. Just to see how he would coach if there was actual pressure to win games.

Andy,

Sorry to disappoint you. Also sorry you didn’t read my post carefully enough to see the following phrase: “To me the knock on Wake Forest is not the 12-15 record, or 3-10 mark in ACC play. I never expected the Deacons to do much better.’‘
I crunched a few numbers this morning to emphasize what I thought was a pretty clear point. The margin of loss in Wake’s 10 ACC defeats is 18 points. The Deacons have lost to N.C. State by 36, to Virginia by 24 (with Tony Bennett pulling his starters midway through the second half), to FSU at home by 23 and to Clemson at home by 20. The only loss of fewer than 10 points was 70-64 at Maryland. The Deacons have been beaten by at least 15 points in seven of their 10 conference losses, and they haven’t sniffed a win against a team still harboring hopes for an NCAA Tournament berth.
BC, a team with less experienced talent than Wake (or maybe anyone else in major college basketball) knocked off FSU. The Eagles lost to State by five, to GT by 4 and to Virginia Tech by 1. I watched the game at Blacksburg, and the Eagles played good basketball. They’ve clearly improved by leaps and bounds this season. I wish I could say the same for Wake, but the facts say otherwise.
As for the part about tarring and feathering Jeff [Redacted]. For the record, I am categorically, four-square in opposition against any such measures being taken. Too much work. Way too messy.
But then again, what’s the point of putting words in someone’s mouth if you’re not going to use those words against them.

Dan Collins on 02/19/2012 (11:36 am)

So learning to set proper screens, teaching the team discipline, and getting proper rebounding position are not things that coaches coach?

When we have better players are we reach 6th or 7th in the conference the celebration is going to make me sick. The time is now, let's make a run at someone with a ceiling worth celebrating that we can build a program around. Bz was never supposed to be the long-term answer. Cut the cord.

That's why I say 'among our problems'.

At the same time these mini meltdowns are huge contributors to blow out losses and not keeping games close.

"I'd be hard pressed to see the 'coaching' issues in the examples above."

That was just a ridiculous line in your post. WTF do you think coaches do?

"I'd be hard pressed to see the 'coaching' issues in the examples above."

That was just a ridiculous line in your post. WTF do you think coaches do?

So the coaches need to 'coach' Travis to pay attention when in bounding the ball after a made basket?

If we need our coaches to teach that we might as well give up.

90% on 10% of the players, obviously.

Also, NC State's losing effort from yesterday is main headline in the sports section on the Journal's site today. We're officially so irrelevant the paper in the school's city doesn't even put a loss as the top story.

Back