• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's Latest Blog Post

Yes, coaches should teach discipline and how to set screens.

And yes, I agree we might as well give up. That's what we've been doing anyway.

Among our problems is just plain shooting ourselves in the foot. On one hand we seem to be able to over come this several times during the games but it finally breaks us.

Some that I remember off the top of my head.

- The 7 point Danny Green play (i.e. intentional foul)
- Green with two moving screens on two of three times on offense
- Miami game, we foul the shooter, he misses the FT, they get the rebound, we foul them again, they miss, they rebound, they hit a 3 for a 5 point trip
- Miami scores, Travis makes a lazy 2 ft pass to TC that is intercepted for a layup. Then CJ is trapped and we cough the ball up for an easy transition basket, we give up 6-7 points without even taking a shot.

We've done this game after game, frequently the team buckles down and comes back from it but eventually this becomes the breaking point in the game, so you can assume that we've gone from a close game to an immediate double digit deficit.

You just can't continue to do this. I'd be hard pressed to see the 'coaching' issues in the examples above.

Then you add in the fact that we go cold from the floor and it multiplies quickly.

I don't know if Bzz is the right coach, but some of this garbage is self inflicted by our players.

Gotta agree with this. Bzz certainly hasn't done anything to prove he's anything close the the answer as a head coach but several of the problems the team has are just the players making awful basketball plays that no coaching will help. The talent infusion next season should help a ton.

"I'd be hard pressed to see the 'coaching' issues in the examples above."

That was just a ridiculous line in your post. WTF do you think coaches do?

What do you think about the TO's this year where Tony gets ripped in the half court, or Nikita throws a pass off of someones foot. You don't point that at the coaches do you?

Tony is not good at basketball, I give you that. But if you think this team is playing to its talent level then I have nothing for you. We are getting demolished in about every ACC game and have not gotten better since the season opened against Loyola. What are we paying him for? Any DI coach or assistant could produce these results. The ceiling is low and next year we'll just get the youth excuse all year. Sometime the excuses are going to have to stop and you have to see reality.

No I agree with you on that, guess just saying that it's not only bzz, which honestly probably doesn't need to be said when a season is going like the past 2.

Let's make this whole thing black and white. It's either all Bzz's fault or the players fault.

Can't possibly be a combination of issues. :tard:

So you agree we need a new coach and some new players? Good, we've got the latter part coming. It's that first part that's a problem.

When speaking to former WFU BB players recently I asked what the problem was and the response was "don't have the talent"

"What I’ll be looking for over the final three games of the regular season leading into the ACC Tournament is a team that plays good, solid fundamental basketball—regardless of the score or circumstances. I haven’t seen that often from Wake this season."

THANK YOU DAN!

Gotta agree with this. Bzz certainly hasn't done anything to prove he's anything close the the answer as a head coach but several of the problems the team has are just the players making awful basketball plays that no coaching will help. The talent infusion next season should help a ton.

And don't you think it is a huge fucking red flag that a coach hasn't done "anything to prove he's anything close to the answer as a head coach" in nearly 2 years of coaching here?!?!

It's like you see the evidence, but just refuse to make a logical conclusion from said evidence. Mind boggling.

So the coaches need to 'coach' Travis to pay attention when in bounding the ball after a made basket?

If we need our coaches to teach that we might as well give up.

I/E Clemson @ LJVM, 5 minute TV time out and we get the ball out of bounds.....result = 5 second call and we turnover the ball.
In the 5 minutes allowed, our coach can not draw up an inbound play!!??!?!

Next year's lineup will be:

PG: CMM/Tony
SG: CJ/Chase
SF: McKie/Moto
PF: Thomas/McKie
C: Thomas/Desrosiers

Factor in some minutes for Rountree, Cavanaugh, Green, I suppose and the likely event that one or more players transfer from our current rotation due to attrition.

I still don't see us winning any more than 16-18 games next year with this coaching staff.

Even though I can't stand Nikita, and Ty is still severely limited offensively, I think the fact that we're losing two seniors who play significant minutes is being overlooked a bit with the overinflated expectations of the freshmen.

Last edited:

Factor in some minutes for Rountree, Cavanaugh, Green, I suppose and the likely event that one or more players transfer from our current rotation due to attrition.

I still don't see us winning any more than 16-18 games next year with this coaching staff.

Even though I can't stand Nikita, and Ty is still severely limited offensively, I think the fact that we're losing two seniors who play significant minutes is being overlooked a bit with the overinflated expectations of the freshmen.

I swear, if we go from two years of blaming our collective youth (under the premise that we'd NEVER blame it on youth) and then in year three, blame our presumed horrid 2012-13 season on losing these two, I'll lose my freaking mind.

Well, just get ready for it. Because I promise you it will be one of the "talking points" the same way commentators continue to talk about how much of a "force" Carson is defensively and how "improved" Chennault is.

Nothing against those two, but this will be a big positive. The fact that they have to play significant minutes this season is one of our biggest issues. They would be 5 to 8 minute players on a bubble team.

It's not being overlooked by Buzz. I promise you that we are going to hear early and often about how "young" our team is next season, despite the fact that Buzz promised, at his introductory press conference, that he would never use youth as an excuse.

If we had guys from the 2011 recruiting class who were now sophomores that we could slot in to help, that's one thing, but [Redacted] largely took 2011 off. Unless Fischer makes a huge jump, we're completely relying on a giant freshman class. That's dangerous, even with a good head coach.

And don't you think it is a huge fucking red flag that a coach hasn't done "anything to prove he's anything close to the answer as a head coach" in nearly 2 years of coaching here?!?!

It's like you see the evidence, but just refuse to make a logical conclusion from said evidence. Mind boggling.

I tend to air on the side of giving him a chance with a team that I feel actually has the talent, if coached properly, will be able to fight for a possible NIT/bubble spot. I don't think any coach in the world could have put together a respectable team the last two seasons. Too many holes. I've you talk about me like i'm some complete idiot who is going around touting Bzz as the next Coach K, when I feel i'm being decently rational in my analysis. I've said on other threads he's losing any support I have left for him after performances like the Clemson games, but that's okay for you to ignore. Sorry I like to go through this season with a more positive long term outlook than some of you.

I'm a very optimistic sort of fan in most cases (Hell, I think the M's might get to around .500 this season...they won't.) There is nothing that Mr. [Redacted] has shown to have me keep that optimism. Nothing.

Back