• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dan's Latest Blog Post

I respectfully disagree, tau. I believe a lot of coaches could have done more in the last two years. I'd argue, most coaches, considering this will be the second straight year we will finish in the bottom third of all NCAA teams.

But that's just me. Guess I have higher expectations.

We're looking at two more years of the youth excuse. Four total.

Agreed. What is equally disturbing is that I've seen absolutely ZERO player development in the first two years. NONE.

It appears that McKie has regressed slightly and TC has been a complete train wreck. Have seen absolutely no improvement
from Carson or Nikita. I'll give a slight nod to Ty Walker's improvement but it appears to be more determination on his part than coaching.

Last edited:

We will have a senior, three juniors and three sophomores.

Five of those returnees will have played a ton of minutes. Green and Fields have at least gained some game experience.

Overall as a team we won't be that young. If the powers that be try to sell youth to the fan base that will be a joke.

Maybe he uses youth as an excuse instead of saying the players are aren't any good. Everybody hates it when he says we are young, what would everybody say if he said the players were not good at basketball?

Success in college basketball is largely dependent on two things: skill (talent) and experience. Relative to the rest of the ACC, I'd classify the Buzz era like this:

Last year:
Skill/Talent: Slightly Below Average
Experience: Far Below Average
Result: Far Below Average

This year:
Skill/Talent: Far Below Average
Experience: Below Average
Result: Far Below Average

Next year (proj):
Skill/Talent: Average
Experience: Far Below Average
Result: Slightly Below Average

Agreed. What is equally disturbing is that I've seen absolutely ZERO player development in the first two years. NONE.

It appears that McKie has regressed slightly and TC has been a complete train wreck. Have seen absolutely no improvement
from Carson or Nikita. I'll give a slight nod to Ty Walker's improvement but it appears to be more determination on his part than coaching.

You can't just post in caps like its fact.

CJ Last Year - 10.3 pts in 32 minutes at 38.4% FG, 34% from 3
CJ This Year - 16.8 pts in in 35 minutes at 48% FG, 44% from 3

Travis LY - 13 pts in 31 minutes at 49%,
Travis TY - 16 pts in 35 mins at 46%

CJ is playing very well this year on a team with much less talent. McKie is holding steady but unfortunately doesnt possess the skills to be "the man".

Carson is a slowly developing big man (how many times have we seen this happen to young 7 footers)

Nikita is what he is. There is a reason he didn't play at GTown.

Tony is a young, wild, out of control PG (see Ish Smith - not saying he will be nearly as good as Ish but had amazing development from frosh to senior).

Before JTT left he was showing better shot selection, defense and poise. Granted, this was outweighed by the regression of Ari.

You can't expect Bz to turn Tony into CP3 throughout the course of a long, tough season.

-ProudBzWaitandSee

^^ I can post in CAPS because it's MY opinion. Apparently, you don't read things closely.

But, I do appreciate the athletic department's efforts on a cold, snowy Sunday evening.

Its snowing in Winston? Thats crazy.

So your opinion is that CJ hasn't gotten better this year?

CJ last year didn't score as much because he was forced to run the point. CJ Harris is a good basketball player, but no one saw him as a point guard. This year he is playing his natural position, thus he shows improvement. Can't give this one to the coaching staff

We will have a senior, three juniors and three sophomores.

Five of those returnees will have played a ton of minutes. Green and Fields have at least gained some game experience.

Overall as a team we won't be that young. If the powers that be try to sell youth to the fan base that will be a joke.

Get ready because our team is six freshmen and some Dino recruits.

I think Nikita is playing better this year. Someone else has to score and his drives and play around the basket is better. So, then they sluff off him some, and to get back to where he can drive, he shoots the 3 to get them to come out on him. Trouble is, he makes few of the 3s and does this too often - negating most of the around basket improvement. So, a smaller net plus.

For reasons I can't fathom the ball ends up in Nikita's hands for a three far too often. And far too often Nikita is willing to jack it up. Not that it really matters but it would be nice if it were in Travis or CJ's hands.

Nobody will be looking for an excuse next year. Bobby Knight and Pete Carill combined couldn't win with a team that boasts CJ, Travis and Chase as their only scorers with no post presence and a suspect point guard. We'll learn a lot next year. I think many will be surprised (including at how much better Travis and Chase will be with a better supporting cast).

You need talent to execute a game plan. They are interrelated. Look at Jim Caldwell - with and without Peyton Manning. Did his coaching change dramatically in one year?

I just have to pull this back out again. Are you trying to use Coach Caldwell as a example of a good coach in some crazy defense of Coach [Redacted]? On a Wake board? Really?

This might be as good an example as you will find of how far around their ass the supporters of Coach [Redacted] will go to get to their elbow. Wow.

On another note, if people want to suggest that the talent level is so bad that it is impossible to come up with any way to measure Coach [Redacted]'s job performance, that is insane.

On another note, if people want to suggest that the talent level is so bad that it is impossible to come up with any way to measure Coach [Redacted]'s job performance, that is insane.

Exactly. You need low talent and poor coaching to reach our level of bad.

Back