• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dave Clawson Credibility Watch

I think normal questions get real answers when Clawson is ready and able to provide them. I’ve never found him to be one to obfuscate his feelings when circumstances allow.
Circumstances definitely allowed about 7 weeks ago my guy.

Earlier in the year, folks were demanding Conor and ales cross examine Classon. Which was stupid.
If they want to be considered journalists they need to ask difficult questions. They should feed off each other impress conferences. Other than Conor they all seem more afraid about losing their access and free press box food than actually doing the job of journalists

If they want to be considered journalists they need to ask difficult questions. They should feed off each other impress conferences. Other than Conor they all seem more afraid about losing their access and free press box food than actually doing the job of journalists
That’s horseshit. They ask fine questions. Clawson is a smart seasoned coach. He isn’t going to give answers that embarrass players or otherwise might cause problems.

Again, look at his answers today. It’s not hard to figure out what he is thinking.

At least Clawson is looking at himself. This is completely on him. I give him credit for accepting it. 10 years ago, Grobe was giving us postgame crap like, "When they're ready to win, they'll win" before heading out for a quick 9 holes.

Marucci overcame his setbacks against Pitt and put together a game-winning drive with a game-winning TD pass. It was the best moment of the season, but Clawson sent a message to the team that a clutch performance doesn't matter by not rewarding Marucci for a job well-done. He gave the ball back to Griffis and we're stuck where we are.
Good post, although one of Grob's final presser he sincerely said "we are doing everything we can think of to get a win. We are trying to win." I think he went with "i want to win" too.

He was exhausted and exasperated in his tone as if he definitely was still engaged.

That’s horseshit. They ask fine questions. Clawson is a smart seasoned coach. He isn’t going to give answers that embarrass players or otherwise might cause problems.

Again, look at his answers today. It’s not hard to figure out what he is thinking.

Clawson is very bright. He's more than capable of answering tough questions without embarrassing players. The two are mutually exclusive.

It is pretty clear to me that we have a Grobe-style retirement in place situation going on here. The only real question is how long Currie allows it to continue before making the changes that we obviously need.
Completely disagree. While I don't think Clawson is worried for his job, he's certainly not comfortable with the state of the program. He deserves a chance at another rebuild.

Sig, I think Clawson could compare Griffis, Kern, and Marucci's play on the field and explain why he chose Griffis without throwing them under the bus.

It is pretty clear to me that we have a Grobe-style retirement in place situation going on here. The only real question is how long Currie allows it to continue before making the changes that we obviously need.

I've watched Clawson's post-game presser twice (below). Met the man several times. Grobe made it obvious he was done. This is eating Clawson up! We have to give the guy a chance to fix this. And I believe he will.
To your point, if he can't fix this in 2-3 years, then yes, Currie will need to make decisions. The time for that is NOT now.

The irony of posting this moments after the BSD piece is posted which makes it abundantly clear this is flat out wrong.

One of the themes of this season has been why have you continued to play Mitch. You can ask that in a way that elicits platitudes and coach speak: Why are you playing Mitch still? Well he looks good in practice all summer and each week and we think he gives us the best chance to win.

Or

What is it that Mitch doing in practice to separate himself from the other guys? Follow up: why aren’t those things translating to games?

One way is checking a box…the other is journalism

The slow mesh gimmick offense either has been figured out or Hartman is the only one that can run it effectively. Everyone has seen it enough and can stop it. It is pretty useless right now. And we aren't big enough or good enough to beat people straight up.

How many plays were slow mesh today, Bill Walsh?

The only thing worse than the performance today are the self loathing losers in this fan base that love to crawl out of the woodwork after a loss.
Brad Wesley would never

bullshit. why is it so clear to you?

The entire program is stale. No energy. No accountability. When Clawson gave a shit, we rarely if ever beat ourselves with dumb personal foul and unsportsmanlike penalties. Happens all the time now. That’s a sign of a coaching staff that has checked out, starting with the head coach.

If he hadn’t checked out, there is no way he wouldn’t have ridden the momentum from Marucci’s performance in the Pitt game. We had a chance to establish an identity coming off of that win, and he just chucked it all to put his guy Griffis back in there. He would rather be comfortable than win. Just like Grobe when he essentially gave up. The similarities are unmistakable.

Back