• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon

Man, seems like there is an inordinate amount of justification on this thread for some really shitty basketball and inexplicable coaching decisions in this game. Yes, the key 3 players got the majority of the mins but the time for experimenting is the first half. And go figure we actually built a 17 point lead playing our best players and using sensible lineups. Then in the 2nd we bench Doral and eschew any sort of big man in the lineup because Queens' best player / 3 pt shooter is their tallest player, who happens to be NOT so tall?? How does that make any damn sense?

Danny's obstinance and stubborn ways already manifesting themselves because he hates playing zone. This ain't the NBA Coach and our guards are not as effective as you think they are when you don't have much of a threat or hint of an interior offense. No reason not to use Doral and pound the ball inside with a lineup of DM, TT, BC, Key and Chaundeac. Play a damn 3-1-1 or 3-2 zone and work on some situational stuff that will ACTUALLY HELP YOU IN THE REAL SEASON AGAINST D1 TEAMS.

I just don't understand the thinking to do so much tinkering in the 2nd half against a D2 team, rely too heavily on guards (two of whom should never be on the floor together due to size and duplication of role) and 3 pt shooting, along with a silly employ of a 4-guard lineup that plays Childress and Wilby together. Way to make Queens feel great about themselves.

Think that's about all you accomplished in this game. And turn off the fans in attendance with sloppy play and 20+ turnovers. Fun times.

Last edited:
Dude it's an exhibition game. It is meant for experimenting. It doesn't count on our record.

Man, seems like there is an inordinate amount of justification on this thread for some really shitty basketball and inexplicable coaching decisions in this game. Yes, the key 3 players got the majority of the mins but the time for experimenting is the first half. And go figure we actually built a 17 point lead playing our best players and using sensible lineups. Then in the 2nd we bench Doral and eschew any sort of big man in the lineup because Queens' best player / 3 pt shooter is their tallest player, who happens to be NOT so tall?? How does that make any damn sense?

Danny's obstinance and stubborn ways already manifesting themselves because he hates playing zone. This ain't the NBA Coach and our guards are not as effective as you think they are when you don't have much of a threat or hint of an interior offense. No reason not to use Doral and pound the ball inside with a lineup of DM, TT, BC, Key and Chaundeac. Play a damn 3-1-1 or 3-2 zone and work on some situational stuff that will ACTUALLY HELP YOU IN THE REAL SEASON AGAINST D1 TEAMS.

I just don't understand the thinking to do so much tinkering in the 2nd half against a D2 team, rely too heavily on guards (two of whom should never be on the floor together due to size and duplication of role) and 3 pt shooting, along with a silly employ of a 4-guard lineup that plays Childress and Wilby together. Way to make Queens feel great about themselves.

Think that's about all you accomplished in this game. And turn off the fans in attendance with sloppy play and 20+ turnovers. Fun times.

Agree. Manning lets other teams dictate his lineups instead of the other way around. Using his logic, Dean Smith would have benched all of his huge bigs who gave UNC such an advantage all of those years. Manning refused to play Doral with Collins and almost never played Collins with D Thomas. And would Wilbekin please graduate already?

I was at the ND exhibition game Friday night. It was sold out. Took me 30 minutes to scalp a ticket. Of course, they play in a properly sized arena. I see that there were 12,000 empty seats in Winston-Salem. This is not ok. We must start making good decisions instead of losing ones. Now is our chance to get it right.

I was at the ND exhibition game Friday night. It was sold out. Took me 30 minutes to scalp a ticket. Of course, they play in a properly sized arena. I see that there were 12,000 empty seats in Winston-Salem. This is not ok. We must start making good decisions instead of losing ones. Now is our chance to get it right.

You should have bought your ND season tickets while you were there so you could spend the season in a "properly sized arena" with people who might care what you think. We don't.

ND rarely sells out any game (other than Duke/NC). They played the local NAIA team which generated the sell out. That game is toughest ticket ND will have all season long.
That’s not me arguing your desire for a smaller arena, it’s just making sure you know ND men have trouble filling their arena all the time.

You should have bought your ND season tickets while you were there so you could spend the season in a "properly sized arena" with people who might care what you think. We don't.

The pictures above are embarrassing. Recruits see them. Fans see thousands of empty seats and don’t return. Why are we doubling down on this disaster?

The pictures above are embarrassing. Recruits see them. Fans see thousands of empty seats and don’t return. Why are we doubling down on this disaster?

Donald, Donald, Donald, how many times have we been through this? Raise about $100M to build it and to fund the upkeep and staffing, and Wellman light listen to you.

You might need to raise more to pay for the additional security campus will need due to all the extra people on campus for events, to buy tickets for events and just to visit.

The new scoreboard. It will always show video of the game. Boards in the 4 corners will give scoring and stats.

i-rLwkpsN-XL.jpg

Wonder if they could show the video along with the score, kind of like the Rockets do?

upi07.jpg
[/IMG]

Jumbotron not having the score is just awful.

It's an EXHIBITION game on a Friday night with big HS rivalry FB games all over the region including 2 remaining undefeated ones so lots of great sports fans were supporting their communities. I guess our latest commitment Jamie Lewis wasn't too upset!

Jumbotron not having the score is just awful.

Was that the plan all along? If it was, then I agree with you, the score should be up there. Otherwise, they might still getting familiar with all the new equipment and will have it up there in the near future.

+1, the amount of armchair quarterbacking on here over a fucking exhibition game is unreal.

Why should it matter if it's an exhibition or not? They played the game in front of a live audience unlike that situational scrimmage vs UMd. You might as well try to execute a game plan that not only allows some degree of experimentation, but also demonstrates a level of coaching acumen that would lead fans to believe we're better than the sum of our parts.

Doesn't matter to me if y'all think I'm overreacting. Blowing a 17 point lead against a D2 team in an exhibition is a bit of a portent. But it's funny how folks around here want to dismiss it because, well, I get it. Sometimes I don't want to give two fucks either, but I was hoping to elevate my already tempered expectations for this year. And losing to a D2 team isn't the same as nearly losing to a semi-pro team in '95. Some of those teams had some really good players from college. But y'all do you.

Why should it matter if it's an exhibition or not? They played the game in front of a live audience unlike that situational scrimmage vs UMd. You might as well try to execute a game plan that not only allows some degree of experimentation, but also demonstrates a level of coaching acumen that would lead fans to believe we're better than the sum of our parts.

Doesn't matter to me if y'all think I'm overreacting. Blowing a 17 point lead against a D2 team in an exhibition is a bit of a portent. But it's funny how folks around here want to dismiss it because, well, I get it. Sometimes I don't want to give two fucks either, but I was hoping to elevate my already tempered expectations for this year. And losing to a D2 team isn't the same as nearly losing to a semi-pro team in '95. Some of those teams had some really good players from college. But y'all do you.

I'll bet you $100 that we don't lose every game this year.

Some people have been around here long enough to know that trying to portend a season based on an exhibition game is a fool's errand.

Even if we turn out to have a pretty good year, I can almost guarantee you that there will be at least one sloppy game against a subpar team in Nov/Dec which ends up closer than it should have been. This team is a work in progress trying to put together some new parts after most of our post game graduated.

Again, IT'S A FREAKING EXHIBITION GAME.

Last edited:
Back