• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon

What bothered me about the Queens game is that everyone on our team should be better than everyone on their team. So it shouldn't be close. And I do agree DM needed to get a lot of guys in and see what they can do. For the most part, the "backups" didn't do well at all in my book. I am very concerned that Crawford and Key are about our only two guys I am comfortable relying on to be able to play at ACC level. No one else has done it yet. We better hope DM, Thompson Chaundee and Chill all step up and play really well in large roles, otherwise it is going to be a long year. Too many question marks for my liking this year, and the poor showing against Queens sort of solidified that thought.

Bryant Crawford pre-season press:
"When Bryant Crawford plays basketball, his main goals are leading Wake Forest to more victories and to success in the postseason.

But along the way, he probably wouldn’t mind getting a little bit of respect for his own play. Strangely, Crawford has found that respect difficult to come by.

Last season, Crawford averaged 16.1 points (14th in the ACC), 5.5 assists (second) and 1.5 steals (sixth). His assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.39 was fourth among the top 20 in assists, and his 82 percent free-throw shooting ranked him ninth. He shot 35 percent from 3-point range.

He joined Dennis Smith Jr. – who was the ninth pick in the NBA draft – as the only ACC players to average more than 16 points and five assists.

Advanced statistics showed Crawford’s impact as well. For example, in offensive box plus/minus (BPM), Crawford ranked third in the league, according to sports-reference.com. That stat estimates a player’s performance relative to league average, which is 0.0. Crawford’s 7.1 ranked behind only Luke Kennard’s 8.4 and Justin Jackson’s 7.5. Both were top 15 picks in the NBA draft.

Yet Crawford couldn’t even make any of the three All-ACC teams or garner an honorable-mention notation in the official voting (done by the coaches and select media). In the voting by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association, Crawford edged in at the bottom of the honorable-mention voting.

Certainly, Crawford ranks behind some of the top players: Guards voted ahead of him included NBA draft picks Kennard, Donovan Mitchell, Smith Jr. and Dwayne Bacon. They also included players such as Joel Berry II and Andrew White III, who also had excellent seasons.

But then the list gets shaky. Six other guards received more votes: London Perrantes, Davon Reed, Matt Farrell, Jerome Robinson, Steve Vasturia and Seth Allen. None of them posted numbers like Crawford’s, and by the time you get to Vasturia and Allen, it’s really head-scratching.

But that was last season. Certainly with many of those names cleared out, including his teammate and All-ACC first-teamer John Collins, Crawford will get more respect, right?

Well, not judging by the preseason All-ACC voting done by media at Operation Basketball. Crawford didn’t make either of the two teams that were announced. Players ahead of him included Bruce Brown Jr. of Miami, Quentin Snider and Deng Adel of Louisville, Josh Okogie of Georgia Tech and Robinson of Boston College.

Brown Jr. and Okogie had excellent freshman seasons last year, but their votes are based on potential, as their numbers don’t match what Crawford did last season. Robinson is the league’s top returning scorer, but he also finished second in the league in turnovers and shot 42 percent from the field and 33 percent from 3-point range.

The Louisville choices are the most odd, however. As a junior last season, Snyder averaged 12.4 points, 4.1 assists. He didn’t contribute much elsewhere and shot 38.5 percent from the field. As a sophomore, Adel averaged 12.1 points and 4.5 rebounds.

Perhaps voters still have the image of the freshman Crawford in their minds: turnover-prone and taking bad shots. But that version of Crawford only showed up here and there last season.

While these slights don’t really mean anything significant, Wake Forest can only hope that they add motivation for Crawford to have an even better season."

Wake Forest is hoping to make it big by playing small

Manning is going the small-ball route out of necessity and because his four best and most experienced returning players are all guards.

"At the end of the day, I've got four really good guards, so we're going to end up playing small a lot of the time," Manning said. "We'll try to dictate matchups by going small. The guard will be the driving force behind our team this year."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-11-08/college-basketball-wake-forest-hoping-make-it-big-playing

Wake Forest is hoping to make it big by playing small

Manning is going the small-ball route out of necessity and because his four best and most experienced returning players are all guards.

"At the end of the day, I've got four really good guards, so we're going to end up playing small a lot of the time," Manning said. "We'll try to dictate matchups by going small. The guard will be the driving force behind our team this year."

http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-11-08/college-basketball-wake-forest-hoping-make-it-big-playing
Interesting that Manning a.) doesn't view Chaundee as a guard, and b.) doesn't view Chaundee as better than Chill or Wilbekin (suppose you could argue he doesn't necessarily say that, but it can be inferred).

Regardless, RJ is gonna blow a gasket over this article.

yeah but he says we used 4 guard last year and he counts arians. chaundee is a guard on the official roster. melo is a guard/forward. i like using 4 guard in spots but i'd prefer if two of them weren't chill and mitch at the same time and replaced by chaundee or melo.

i didn't see the queens game and have no gauge for melo at all, but i'm fine with a decent amount of wilby or chill + craw, woods, and chaundee. that is really only small at one position and i think we could get away with it easily against most lineups.

I'd never heard of FloHoops before but they have a new follower after that video.

Jay Bilas' 25 Pre-season All-Americans

First Team

Miles Bridges, Michigan State Spartans
Bonzie Colson, Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Grayson Allen, Duke Blue Devils
Ethan Happ, Wisconsin Badgers
Yante Maten, Georgia Bulldogs

Second Team

Marvin Bagley III, Duke Blue Devils
Joel Berry II, North Carolina Tar Heels
Allonzo Trier, Arizona Wildcats
Michael Porter Jr., Missouri Tigers
Devonte' Graham, Kansas Jayhawks

Third Team

Robert Williams, Texas A&M Aggies
Deandre Ayton, Arizona Wildcats
Trevon Bluiett, Xavier Musketeers
Jalen Brunson, Villanova Wildcats
Jock Landale, Saint Mary's Gaels

Fourth Team

Kevin Knox, Kentucky Wildcats
Collin Sexton, Alabama Crimson Tide
Bennie Boatwright, USC Trojans
Jevon Carter, West Virginia Mountaineers
Angel Delgado, Seton Hall Pirates

Fifth Team

Jaylen Adams, St. Bonaventure Bonnies
KeVaughn Allen, Florida Gators
Reid Travis, Stanford Cardinal
Mohamed Bamba, Texas Longhorns
Bryant Crawford, Wake Forest Demon Deacons

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21250068/the-bilas-opus-gives-everything-need-know-college-basketball

Back