• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon

I disagree. A 21 win resume heavily depends on the quality of the wins.

I guess what I am saying is that if we get to 21-22 wins, we probably beat someone worth mentioning as a "key win" in the ACC along the way.

And in theory we'd have no "terrible" losses, which should keep our RPI and KenPom respectable.

ETA: We'd look a lot like Miami did last year... 21-11 after the ACC tourney (where they went 1-1), 10-8 in the ACC, and zero OOC top 100 wins.

Last edited:
Every year people write about how team X's weak OOC schedule will hurt them come tourney time, and every year people can't believe that team X got into the tournament despite playing such a weak OOC schedule. It's like death and taxes.

Agreed. A lot like last year, we need to be playing well at the end of the year. We can't come limping in to postseason play with 19-20 wins and expect to make it.

Every year people write about how team X's weak OOC schedule will hurt them come tourney time, and every year people can't believe that team X got into the tournament despite playing such a weak OOC schedule. It's like death and taxes.

For as bad as everybody seems to think our non-conference schedule is, it is devoid of bad teams completely. The worst team that we play all year according to KenPom is 223rd in the country. Obviously that can change as the season goes along, but we only play one team worse than 200 the entire season.

While a lot of folks think that most non-conference teams (for example, Georgia Southern and Green Bay) are the same, that is simply not the case, as there is a huge difference between those two teams (105th and 243rd in KP). That is a pretty big difference in RPI at the end of the year.

We will always have the chance at knocking off big name teams since we play in the ACC, so I am fine playing a schedule that includes a bunch of 100-200 ranked teams that will keep our RPI/SOS reasonably high instead of tanking against a Presbyterian or MEAC team. It's definitely not the schedule we played last year, but still presents challenges that won't hurt us significantly statistically.

I strongly agree with this. It seems like the committee says "we care about who you play" but then penalizes teams who take on tough OOC opponents, yet lose. Our schedule will always be hard enough based on our conference season alone, that our OOC schedule shouldn't matter too much.

I strongly agree with this. It seems like the committee says "we care about who you play" but then penalizes teams who take on tough OOC opponents, yet lose. Our schedule will always be hard enough based on our conference season alone, that our OOC schedule shouldn't matter too much.

That is the argument used for years to justify the SEC very weak OOC football schedule... plus they always played at home. It has changed some in recent years... In basketball, IIRC Indiana comes to mind as a team that had a top 5 toughest schedule, lost many of those, won 19 games or so and didn't get the invite.

I forgot that Brandon tackled Grayson Allen last year

That was awesome

I forgot that Brandon tackled Grayson Allen last year

That was awesome

I remember it more as a shoving him onto a chair. I lost sleep over losing that game. It would have been incredibly sweet to watch Harry and Allen come off the court disappointed after those altercations. What I want to see more than anything is Craw and Chill flexing on Allen after beating Duke this season.

if Doral can average 23/10/2.3 blocks a game then we might lose him to the NBA

It's my recollection that Doral was more coveted than JC coming out of HS.

Moore is 7-1 280 and reasonably athletic. Think about that.

Always had the potential to be a monster. Hope this is his season to emerge.

Before making the mistake of going to Montverde, Doral was ranked as highly as #33 on ESPN. After changing HS, he dropped to in the 70s on ESPN. Doral was ranked higher than JC.

What's amazing is that after adding nearly 60 pounds, Doral hasn't lost his hops or speed.

If he plays 25 mpg, 10/8/2 are very realistic.

If we can get Olivier to play PF by early January, our D will be much improved. If you watch the practice tape, it sure looks like Danny is thinking about doing this.

Back