• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon

Preseason projections from the Charlotte Observer's Luke DeCock: Link.

"Among locals, I have Duke first, UNC second and N.C. State 14th, but there’s a big gap between the Wolfpack and Pittsburgh, a team that could struggle at a historic level."

I guess we're not local? :noidea:

Redacted says to hold his beer.

Moore's problem was clearly that the game was moving too fast for him. So it's not crazy to think that with more reps, the game would slow down and he would improve. Last year, it looked like he had decided what he was going to do as soon as he got to the offensive or defensive side of the court. As in "If I get the ball, I'm going to drop step right and go hard to the hole" or "if anyone gets a step past their man, I'm going to step up and swat it." Being more mindful and aware is obviously a byproduct of experience and commitment to learning the game. If that switch flips for him, the sky is the limit.

Last edited:
Preseason projections from the Charlotte Observer's Luke DeCock: Link.

"Among locals, I have Duke first, UNC second and N.C. State 14th, but there’s a big gap between the Wolfpack and Pittsburgh, a team that could struggle at a historic level."

I guess we're not local? :noidea:
The article was originally written for Raleigh's News & Observer.

However, WF is in-state & clearly close enough that it should have been included, especially since "Tobacco Road basketball" includes all 4 teams. Furthermore, if there is wire service between NC papers so that the Charlotte Observer uses N&O articles, the N&O needs to adequately cover each ACC school.

12/9. 15/10. 19/10. Point and rebound averages for the primary center during Manning's first three years as coach and a reason why he is considered an outstanding big man coach. There are some areas that I question Danny's ability. Developing big men is not an area of concern. Next up.

Moore's problem was clearly that the game was moving too fast for him. So it's not crazy to think that with more reps, that would slow down and he would improve. Last year, it looked like he had decided what he was going to do as soon as he got to the offensive or defensive side of the court. As in "If I get the ball, I'm going to drop step right and go hard to the hole" or "if anyone gets a step past their man, I'm going to step up and swat it." Being more mindful and aware is obviously a byproduct of experience and commitment to learning the game. If that switch flips for him, the sky is the limit.

His frosh year, he gained 40 pounds. In football if you are doing that, you get red-shirted. Doral should have been. Add to his frosh year, that he didn't play much as a HS senior.

Last year, he was looking over his shoulder to see if the hook was coming. This impacts your play.

With JC's success and the fact there is no one to rely on, maybe Doral saw the writing on the wall.

Remember, he arrived at 215. He's 280 now. That's a different guy.

JC and Moore were pretty even as freshmen. Moore, like almost all scholarship players, should not have redshirted.

His frosh year, he gained 40 pounds. In football if you are doing that, you get red-shirted. Doral should have been. Add to his frosh year, that he didn't play much as a HS senior.

Last year, he was looking over his shoulder to see if the hook was coming. This impacts your play.

With JC's success and the fact there is no one to rely on, maybe Doral saw the writing on the wall.

You posted literally the same thing this time last year. Looks like you've tacked on more excuses for his soph season.

It's OK, you don't have to continue trying to invent excuses for why a player has sucked. It's usually much simpler.

Moore was initially listed @ 250 lbs after he first enrolled. His official playing weight for his both his freshmen and sophomore seasons was 265 lbs. He's up to 280 now.

Moore just wasn't ready for primetime during his first two years.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/187916/doral-moore

"7-0, 215 | Class of 2015"

Rivals had him at 230. He was nowhere near 250 when he got to Wake.

When he first enrolled at Wake, he was listed at 250 lbs. That was from WakeForestSports.com.

http://web.archive.org/web/20150702...om/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/wake-m-baskbl-mtt.html

July 2nd, 2015. Unless you think he gained 35 lbs in a matter of weeks, then he was @ 250 lbs when he first got to Wake.

The article was originally written for Raleigh's News & Observer.

However, WF is in-state & clearly close enough that it should have been included, especially since "Tobacco Road basketball" includes all 4 teams. Furthermore, if there is wire service between NC papers so that the Charlotte Observer uses N&O articles, the N&O needs to adequately cover each ACC school.

The N&O has never adequately covered Wake and once [Redacted] showed up I think they decided to just abandon the effort altogether.

The physical part of the game has never been the issue with Doral IMO. He mostly sat on the bench at Montverde his senior year so he lost a lot of game experience, which you can not really simulate in practice, and it has taken him a while to understand the nuances of the game. He looked lost his first 2 years here and if that improvement in the mental aspect of the game has indeed happened, he will be a pleasant surprise for us and a nasty one for the rest of the league.

CBS ranking of all 351 teams

Has us at 86 right behind Illinois.

"86. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
John Collins is balling out for the Atlanta Hawks right now. If he were still at Wake Forest, I'd have the Deacs in the top 50. Still, Bryant Crawford's going to be one of the five best point guards in the ACC. "

TJDK.

CBS ranking of all 351 teams

Has us at 86 right behind Illinois.

"86. Wake Forest Demon Deacons
John Collins is balling out for the Atlanta Hawks right now. If he were still at Wake Forest, I'd have the Deacs in the top 50. Still, Bryant Crawford's going to be one of the five best point guards in the ACC. "

TJDK.

This guy is a clown. If Collins was at Wake, we'd be a top 25 team.

A good comp for Doral this year, in terms of progression under DM not playing style really, could be Jeff Withey at Kansas. 7 footer who was non-existent his first 2 years behind better players, who averaged 9/6/3.5 and then 13.7/8.5/3.9 his last 2. Ended up a 2nd/3rd team AA and co-DPOY. Would be pretty neat.

Illinois aside, that seems about right. Without a monumental improvement from Moore/SJM or Sarr being way ahead of schedule, we aren't going to be very good.

86 slightly low IMO but nothing to lose any sleep over. Likely a top 75 team who will have plenty of chances to play our way into the tournament, especially if we slightly overachieve.

Back