• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dear Wellman, Bzz

Something to consider, if you are a student, email Ken Zick, VP and Dean of Student Affairs, and tell him how this is affecting your student experience. If you are an alum, email Mark Petersen, VP For University Advancement, and tell him how this is affecting you as an alum. Clearly Wellman and Hatch are going to give you canned responses. The others may as well but you're more likely to get a personal response. These gentlemen are on the University Cabinet and are "peers" with Wellman.

If you are a parent of a HS Junior/Senior, write to Martha Allman, Director of Admissions, and say why our sports decline might influence your son/daughter's decision.

While I don't expect this to greatly impact anything, it may help to get a more personalized response.

Writing to Martha Allman won't help...she is the one responsible for cutting out the "legacy" at Wake Forest and why we are down to below 20% North Carolina folks in the student body. She is on her own wave length. Unless the BOT changes things, it ain't going to get done.

Writing to Martha Allman won't help...she is the one responsible for cutting out the "legacy" at Wake Forest and why we are down to below 20% North Carolina folks in the student body. She is on her own wave length. Unless the BOT changes things, it ain't going to get done.

Is this true?

Is this true?

Yes, we are below 20% from NC now. When I was in school in the 70's we were at 50% and another 25% from the surrounding states. Now we brag about being from 45 or so states and 15 + countries. We have assoc admission directors in charge of Europe & China. So we have lost our way. No longer do we get local Southeast kids who know the ACC and our heritage. No longer do we try to let in "legacy" kids. We are a changed school and not for the better in my opinion. We are trying to be another Notre Dame and that is not going to happen.

That NC news is depressing.

Do people (other than thereff, who is an idiot) really have a problem if standards for legacies are being raised?

Sports, academics, school character, tuition...is there anything getter better at Wake? Seems like a school in decline. The 60K total price is fucking absurd.

Sports, academics, school character, tuition...is there anything getter better at Wake? Seems like a school in decline. The 60K total price is fucking absurd.

I think you'd be hard pressed to argue that academics at Wake are in anyway getting worse.

TheReff's ideal Wake Forest is not one I would have attended.

Do people (other than thereff, who is an idiot) really have a problem if standards for legacies are being raised?

No. Not at all. Legacy preferences are a huge disadvantage for minorities and poorer applicants.

240K for a liberal arts education is borderline insanity. I know TBR's mom and dad might agree.

Wake was ranked I believe as high as 19th in the 90's. It is now somewhere high 20's to low 30's. Either Wake is in decline or a buncha schools got better.

Of course the ratings could be meaningless...but on paper it seems academically Wake is not what it once was. Ty Kraniack serves as good example of what I think Wake is attracting these days.

Last edited:
Great derailment Reff.
I believe the thought is that you can't be a Top National Private University with a regional student body. Shame on our administrators for aspiring to be a Top National Private University.

Remind me again, what's bad about having international students?

Wake was ranked I believe as high as 19th in the 90's. It is now somewhere high 20's to low 30's. Either Wake is in decline or a buncha schools got better.

Of course the ratings could be meaningless...but on paper it seems academically Wake is not what it once was. Ty Kraniack serves as good example of what I think Wake is attracting these days.

National Rankings according to (mup.asu.edu/usnewsranking.xls and WFU News Service Records)
2012 - 27th
2011 - 25th
2010 - 25th
2009 - 28th
2008 - 28th
2007 - Could not locate
2006 - 27th
2005 - 27th
2004 - Could not locate
2003 - 28th
2002 - 25th
2001 - 26th
2000 - 28h
1999 - 29th
1998 - 28th
1997 - 25th
1996 - 31st
1995 - Not Top 25
1994 - Not Top 25
1993 - Not Top 25
1992 - Not Top 25
1991 - Not Top 25

Weren't we in the regional category during the early 90s, and not eligible for the national list? Thought we were higher than #25 at some point. Guess not.

Weren't we in the regional category during the early 90s, and not eligible for the national list? Thought we were higher than #25 at some point. Guess not.

That may have been what happened pre-1995. I believe you're right that at one point we may have been the #1 Regional University (for the South). Competing regionally and competing nationally clearly come with different priorities. I'm sure some would have us go back to just being a regional university.

07 Wake was 30th
04 Wake was 28th

1991 - 1995 perhaps Wake wasn't considered a national U. I can't remember...anyway looks like my #19 was too high. It also looks like 60K nows buys you the same eduction 20K would buy you 15 years ago. That is ridiculous.

07 Wake was 30th
04 Wake was 28th

1991 - 1995 perhaps Wake wasn't considered a national U. I can't remember...anyway looks like my #19 was too high. It also looks like 60K nows buys you the same eduction 20K would buy you 15 years ago. That is ridiculous.

You just can't say that. Look at the campus infrastructure changes alone over the past 15 years. I suppose in the purest sense it buys the same diploma but it certainly doesn't buy the same educational and/or collegiate experience.

That's true, BDer. And you can see the same trends in tuition and infrastructure across American higher education. Not sure if it's better though.

Last edited:
Ultimately, this ties back to my original post on this thread. The "experience" is more important than ever. Thus sending a message to Ken Zick is important for students. Additionally, Alumni approval/giving is one of the top priorities so messaging Mark Petersen is important for alums.

Originally Posted by KingDeac
Senior Advisary Counsil - Athletics
Administration - Doug Bland, blandwd@wfu.edu
Administration - Corey Jenkins, jenkinca@wfu.edu

Yea, don't email these two. The SAC has 0 governing power.

Doug Bland was a total suck-up brown nosing toady when he was an undergrad, and I have no reason to think that anything about him has changed since then. Don't bother writing him.

For me sports were king. In my 4 years we had 2 Sweet 16's, a Final 8, and 2 ACC Championships. All at less than 20K a year. Now you pay 60K to witness Bzzz. That alone should shake current students the core.

The fancy buildings and better food may enhance your experience on campus but the diploma is worth about the same as in the 90's. In my experience the diploma is of marginal value outside the south.

Last edited:
Back