• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dems might name Keith Ellison as DNC Chair

He is my rep. in Congress. I don't think anyone views him as incredibly thoughtful or effective. He isn't horrible. But he also isn't amazing. Once you are elected in this district as a Dem. you pretty much have a job for life. He is a pretty likable guy after you are used to him and he has a reputation for sticking to his guns. He can though come across personally as a bit combative. He will not be viewed as a moderate. Putting him in charge is a nod to his passion for get out the vote campaigns more than anything, something that has been openly discussed on the radio here in the Land of 10,000 Lakes..

I don't know his role in any of this, but Minnesota had the highest voter turnout by percentage again in 2016 (dropped from 76% to 74% from 2012 to 2016) and has the best (least restrictive) voter laws in the nation: online voter registration, same-day registration, early & weekend voting. I think GOTV and access to polls are every bit as important as policies when it comes to DNC organizing.

I don't know his role in any of this, but Minnesota had the highest voter turnout by percentage again in 2016 (dropped from 76% to 74% from 2012 to 2016) and has the best (least restrictive) voter laws in the nation: online voter registration, same-day registration, early & weekend voting. I think GOTV and access to polls are every bit as important as policies when it comes to DNC organizing.

Yep. And Democrats done realize that all of these things need to be done in order to take advantage of demographic advantages. In order for that to happen, Democrats need to win local and state elections.

Why is it "astounding" that 33% of House Dems come from those states? Those states have 20.5% of all the Members in the House. Thus to have 33% in those states is about right. It means a little 2/3 of the Representatives from those states are Dem.

72% of House Members from TX an GA are Republicans and over 52% of those representing FL are GOP.

Numbers without context have no meaning.

You're completely missing the point of that stat.

His role in all of that is ZERO. l have never seen anything as bat shit crazy as a Minnesota caucus btw. The level of potental fraud in those things is off the charts. In 2008 I went to the Democratic caucus. Anyone could have voted 6 or 7 times no problem. And the GOP one is really no different save the neighborhood where I live does not have enough GOPs to make it as easy.

Election day is a lot different as you do have to prove who you are and are forced to go and vote at a prescribed location.

Why is it "astounding" that 33% of House Dems come from those states? Those states have 20.5% of all the Members in the House. Thus to have 33% in those states is about right. It means a little 2/3 of the Representatives from those states are Dem.

72% of House Members from TX an GA are Republicans and over 52% of those representing FL are GOP.

Numbers without context have no meaning.

I think the bigger point is that the Dems have lost an awful lot of representation in states other than CA and NY - which is true.

lol ok then

here's from his website:

Minnesota is known for our clean and fair elections, along with routinely having the highest voter participation in the country – usually over 70%. This is made possible because of Minnesota's election laws, which I believe should serve as a model for the rest of the United States. I am proud to author legislation that would bring the Minnesota model of Election Day voter registration to the rest of the country. It's a common sense measure that brings more people into the democratic process.

In a stunning development, MOM has today taken his name out of consideration for DNC chair. No word on Bobby Lutz yet.

I think uniformity in election law, as well as redistricting would be very beneficial to restoring some sanity to our election process.

I think uniformity in election law, as well as redistricting would be very beneficial to restoring some sanity to our election process.

Get the fuck rid of caucuses. Horribly undemocratic. I'm also not fond of parties using conventions to pick their nominees as opposed to primaries. That's how VA ended up with Kookinelli and EW Jackson as nominees, and thus how we ended up with McAuliffe as governor instead of Bolling.

Back