• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

deplorables - alt perspective

538 published something useful to this conversation, as well, though trigger warning: it's #facts, not #feelings.

‘Normal America’ Is Not A Small Town Of White People

Interesting, I love being right. All his hand-wringing that the dem party or liberals or coastal elitists are out of touch with real America has been a misread. They are real America, and their opposition is very interested in some "good ole days" that are long gone and a completely unreasonable ideal for modern policy. Jesus

Interesting, I love being right. All his hand-wringing that the dem party or liberals or coastal elitists are out of touch with real America has been a misread. They are real America, and their opposition is very interested in some "good ole days" that are long gone and a completely unreasonable ideal for modern policy. Jesus

TITCR.

But, for the sake of fairness, it's really worth pointing out that Democrats are completely out of touch with real people, too. If the Clinton email fiasco revealed anything, then it's that the party has been co-opted by elites who hold the working class (of all races, if we're being honest) in contempt unless they fall in lockstep with the message. The only way forward for the Democratic party is a progressive politics that looks for solutions to empower its base that really lost an awful lot - whether we're talking about employment, health and life chances, etc. - over the last 20 years. Sure, there have been some really important gains, particularly in terms of civil rights to select classes of Americans - but ignoring what has been lost and just how devastating the losses have been to working and lower middle class people across demographic and geographic categories will be key to reviving the party.

Ellison for DNC, Brown/Becerra for Prez 2020. Get it done, Dems.

she was trying to hold back, she and many of her supporters really think that about 90% of the Trump voters were deplorables

What percent would you estimate are xenophobic or Islamaphobic?

They see themselves as normal and others as not normal. Simple as that.

This is true of the Democrats, as well.

Far fewer. Religious conservatives draw from a higher power to make that distinction. Also there are plenty of Dems who grew up in middle America. Dems are more likely to question the idea of normal and realize all Americans are real Americans. B

Far fewer. Religious conservatives draw from a higher power to make that distinction. Also there are plenty of Dems who grew up in middle America. Dems are more likely to question the idea of normal and realize all Americans are real Americans. B

Meh, what's the data on this?

#anecdotes: Liberals on my facebook feed appear to be equally tone deaf in their appeals to normalcy as conservatives. Each believes that their ideology is right/representative.

You're saying this on a thread named after the dem candidate for president calling half of conservatives deplorable. P good

You're saying this on a thread named after the dem candidate for president calling half of conservatives deplorable. P good

She called people who engage in those isms and phobias "deplorable." Do you not think racism, sexism, etc are deplorable?

She called people who engage in those isms and phobias "deplorable." Do you not think racism, sexism, etc are deplorable?

You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?”

You know, to just be grossly generalistic, you could put half of Trump’s supporters into what I call the basket of deplorables. Right?”

You may be right in this case, but your lack of self-awareness is stunning.

As long as our election systems mathematically favor rural voters than we will continue to have these results. The Republican party was very smart to encourage rural/urban partisanship. Democrats weren't counting on rural whites becoming a voting bloc.

As long as our election systems mathematically favor rural voters than we will continue to have these results. The Republican party was very smart to encourage rural/suburban partisanship. Democrats weren't counting on rural whites becoming a voting bloc.

I don't have the data in front of me, but did rural whites become a voting bloc in ways that deviated from past elections? Or, was it that suburban (or exurban) whites voted in non-traditional ways as a bloc?

Because half of Trump's supporters are in those categories.

I don't have the data in front of me, but did rural whites become a voting bloc in ways that deviated from past elections? Or, was it that suburban (or exurban) whites voted in non-traditional ways as a bloc?

The rural/urban divide extends beyond the presidential election deep into local politics. States like NC and Kentucky which had very recently been very politically competitive are now conservative dominated because of rural polarization. Of course a rural/urban divide also falls along the lines of education and age divisions.

You ever grow weary of being right all the time?

She was off on where not how many.

A college professor thinks a solid half of his political opponents are deplorable. Gives diversity lectures. Probably doesn't see the problem with this hypocrisy.

JH, it's pretty clear that many of the beliefs and qualities that you consider acceptable, PH considers deplorable. Though I am highly confident that if you pressed him on the issue, I doubt pH considers literally half of Trump voters to be bigots and racists, though it is still a large percentage, much larger than you would ever admit to.

Back