• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

deplorables - alt perspective

But I could be talking out of my butt, I don't want to put words in his mouth.

As much as the Pubs want it to be true - she wasn't calling conservatives deplorable.

District, doesn't matter what Pubs think, it matters what the voters thought! You just don't get it. Romney wasn't saying what the media said about the 47% either but it was how the voters took it. Hillary also vilified the coal workers and the coal industry! Don't think that didn't come back to haunt her in Sheets Byrd territory of WVa and also in Western PA.

District, doesn't matter what Pubs think, it matters what the voters thought! You just don't get it. Romney wasn't saying what the media said about the 47% either but it was how the voters took it. Hillary also vilified the coal workers and the coal industry! Don't think that didn't come back to haunt her in Sheets Byrd territory of WVa and also in Western PA.

Clean coal*

JH, it's pretty clear that many of the beliefs and qualities that you consider acceptable, PH considers deplorable. Though I am highly confident that if you pressed him on the issue, I doubt pH considers literally half of Trump voters to be bigots and racists, though it is still a large percentage, much larger than you would ever admit to.

I think xenophobic and Islamaphobic put them over the top. I don't know how conservatives can deny it unless they just ignore the meaning of those words.

I think xenophobic and Islamaphobic put them over the top. I don't know how conservatives can deny it unless they just ignore the meaning of those words.

What percentage of Trump voters would you say have an irrational fear of strangers or foreigners and what percentage have an irrational fear of Muslims?

538 published something useful to this conversation, as well, though trigger warning: it's #facts, not #feelings.

‘Normal America’ Is Not A Small Town Of White People

Shoutout to Sac-town! Only real Americans live here

knowell, where did you get that xenophobia and Islamaphobia are only "irrational" fears?
Makes it real easy for you call it rational to fear very broad groups.

knowell, where did you get that xenophobia and Islamaphobia are only "irrational" fears?
Makes it real easy for you call it rational to fear very broad groups.

pho·bi·a
ˈfōbēə/
noun
noun: phobia; plural noun: phobias

an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.

pho·bi·a
ˈfōbēə/
noun
noun: phobia; plural noun: phobias

an extreme or irrational fear of or aversion to something.

So you just ignored "extreme or?"

At least try to have a legitimate discussion.

So you just ignored "extreme or?"

At least try to have a legitimate discussion.

I apologize PH. It appears I was not trying to have a legitimate discussion by using the most common definition of a word.

Perhaps next time you can define the word for me so that I am aware that you would prefer to use a different definition of the word.

I will try to do better.

I apologize PH. It appears I was not trying to have a legitimate discussion by using the most common definition of a word.

Perhaps next time you can define the word for me so that I am aware that you would prefer to use a different definition of the word.

I will try to do better.

So you disagree with the definition you literally just posted?

I applaud whoever is behind this parody.

Because half of Trump's supporters are in those categories.

So you, like the Dem candidate for president, think half of your opposition is deplorable but also think this is true. That's just gold

"They see themselves as normal and others as not normal. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
This is true of the Democrats, as well.

"Far fewer. Religious conservatives draw from a higher power to make that distinction. Also there are plenty of Dems who grew up in middle America. Dems are more likely to question the idea of normal and realize all Americans are real Americans. B"

So you, like the Dem candidate for president, think half of your opposition is deplorable but also think this is true. That's just gold

"They see themselves as normal and others as not normal. Simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
This is true of the Democrats, as well.

"Far fewer. Religious conservatives draw from a higher power to make that distinction. Also there are plenty of Dems who grew up in middle America. Dems are more likely to question the idea of normal and realize all Americans are real Americans. B"

Nah nah nah nah nah nah

tintin, do you think racism, sexism, etc are deplorable?

JH, it's pretty clear that many of the beliefs and qualities that you consider acceptable, PH considers deplorable. Though I am highly confident that if you pressed him on the issue, I doubt pH considers literally half of Trump voters to be bigots and racists, though it is still a large percentage, much larger than you would ever admit to.

The problem is he listed three groups, and none of them were even close to something like "Educated, literate people who have decently reasoned lines of thought with which I happen to disagree."

Not allowing for the possibility of reasonable disagreement is an intellectual weakness.

Back