• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Derek Jeter

Fine. But Buck wasn't managing like it was the playoffs or their backs were against the wall. Was really just pointing out that the Angels could be hosting the Tigers in the DS.

There's a huge difference between giving a pitcher a rest and intentionally a game. Grooving the pitch would have been intentionally losing a game.

Buck didn't take his sluggers out of the game. He clearly wasn't trying to lose the game and clearly cared about winning or his other scrubs would have taken their places.

There is also a difference between a rested pitching staff and regulars. I don't think the pitch was grooved or the Orioles were trying to lose.

There's a huge difference between giving a pitcher a rest and intentionally a game. Grooving the pitch would have been intentionally losing a game.

Buck didn't take his sluggers out of the game. He clearly wasn't trying to lose the game and clearly cared about winning or his other scrubs would have taken their places.

I still say pitch wasn't grooved, Meek just sucks.

I just looked through the box scores, the O's bullpen was getting lots of work during the previous week or so. A starter hadn't gone more than 6 innings since last saturday when Tillman went 7. O'Day, Brach, and Hunter had all pitched two days in a row. Andrew Miller is basically the only other guy that could have come out for the ninth, but the O's are definitely trying to limit his innings as well.

I think Buck obviously wanted to win the game, but he wasn't going to destroy his bullpen for a 1% chance at winning home field advantage. I think home field advantage at that point would have required the O's winning out and the Angels losing out.

Grooved mean intentional not that a bad pitcher made a terrible pitch.

It's not about home field advantage. It's about who you play in the first round.

Grooved mean intentional not that a bad pitcher made a terrible pitch.

It's not about home field advantage. It's about who you play in the first round.

We already clinched the two seed. We would have had to win out to get the one seed. It wasn't going to happen.

Actually before that loss, they still had a mathematical chance to get the #1 seed. Had they won and swept and the Angles lost 2 of three, the O's would have gotten the #1 seed.

If Detroit holds on, it's a huge difference to play Detroit and their starting staff versus either of two teams that are falling apart and have little to no playoff experience.

so on thursday, what do you put the O's chances at getting the 1 seed? 5%? Is it worth killing your bullpen one week before the playoffs start for a 5% chance at maybe getting the 1 seed?

also, playoff experience has no effect on playoff performance. this was confirmed by numerous studies. you really should read the grantland article: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mlb-playoff-myths-to-ignore/.

so on thursday, what do you put the O's chances at getting the 1 seed? 5%? Is it worth killing your bullpen one week before the playoffs start for a 5% chance at maybe getting the 1 seed?

also, playoff experience has no effect on playoff performance. this was confirmed by numerous studies. you really should read the grantland article: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/mlb-playoff-myths-to-ignore/.

WHY DO YOU LIE*?

*use objective data-supported research to support your arguments

Numbers without context are useless. Were some of the teams old and over the hill? Did some of the teams have injuries? Was some of the "experience" back-ups and middle relievers versus Cy Young winners who are in their prime?

I'm not talking about a generalization. I'm talking about a specific team, with specific players.

This is the problem with those who believe generalized stats give you all the answers.

Actually before that loss, they still had a mathematical chance to get the #1 seed. Had they won and swept and the Angles lost 2 of three, the O's would have gotten the #1 seed.

If Detroit holds on, it's a huge difference to play Detroit and their starting staff versus either of two teams that are falling apart and have little to no playoff experience.

If the Os were shooting for the 1 seed, they would have had to scout about five teams. As the 2 seed, they only have to scout the Tigers and Royals. Preparation is very important in the playoffs. Also, the O's were able to get healthier.

Tim isn't really beloved. I think everyone respects him. I also think he will just retire rather than announce his victory lap. I imagine he would absolutely hate the attention of a farewell tour like Jetes. The next basketball player we will likely see do something like this is probably Lebron.

That's fair. I didn't meant he would be the next with a tour etc. just the next all time great, known as a classy player, respected by those who aren't fans of his team etc. There aren't many of those left, especially with free agency.

Kobe def doesn't fit because everyone hates him except for Lakers fans.

Kobe def doesn't fit because everyone hates him except for Lakers fans.
Which will only make it all the more hilarious when they do the Kobe farewell tour. There will be many awkward hugs involved. What are the odds Kobe gives part of his farewell speech in Italian?

Were Stern still reigning, a Kobe farewell tour would be more likely.

This is playing out exactly how Buck envisioned when he called for the grooved pitch to Jeter in his final AB.

Back