• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Derek Jeter

woah, me and Jeter have the same birthday. Nevermind, GREATEST EVER

Jeter is a perfect example of a player that the numbers don't tell the entire story.

During a pretty big period of NYY dominance he was so clutch on the big stage.

Jeter is a perfect example of a player that the numbers don't tell the entire story.

During a pretty big period of NYY dominance he was so clutch on the big stage.

Not only that, but he was the main player to emerge from the steroid era unscathed. Plus he managed to maintain a sense of privacy and lack of scandal as the biggest star in NYC while social media came to life and pretty much everyone else in the public eye has been caught acting like a douche at one point or another.

http://deadspin.com/derek-jeter-ass-eating-gossip-we-really-want-to-be-true-1636889346

i09bdlbkwzar9l8vwdam.jpg

All class.

Not only that, but he was the main player to emerge from the steroid era unscathed. Plus he managed to maintain a sense of privacy and lack of scandal as the biggest star in NYC while social media came to life and pretty much everyone else in the public eye has been caught acting like a douche at one point or another.

Serious question, and probably too cynical, but if Jeter had ever tested positive, would MLB let that information out?

Serious question, and probably too cynical, but if Jeter had ever tested positive, would MLB let that information out?

Not voluntarily. But you know TMZ has been chasing that for years and would have jumped on it if they could have.

Getting back to topics other than salad tossing, I had the good fortune to be at the game last night. I'm an Orioles fan who lives in NY and thus no great fan of Jeter other than for respect for his accomplishments as a fan of the game. I have to say, though, that it is just plain weird how the planets align for Jeter to come through, and he almost always does. The O's had to come back to tie the game in the top of the ninth. If they don't, then game over. Prior to that, all sorts of weird plays had to happen to get to the point where we had a tie game in the bottom of the ninth.

Anyway, it was fun being at the game and I was glad the result didn't matter for my O's (other than the remote possibility that we could have caught the Angels for best record in the AL, which wasn't going to happen so who cares?).

Probably couldn't have scripted a better NY finale than that.

I don't mind Jeter, and of all the Yankee d-bags, he was the least d-baggy.

Though...I'm curious. I realize he has the numbers and is up there on a few all-time lists. But couldn't one argue that is a product of playing 20 years?

Is he really an all-time great SS? At any point in his career was he considered THE BEST Shortstop? Seems like he was just always a part of good teams and was never really THE GUY, but maybe that's me and my limited attention paid to baseball the last 20 years.

Not trying to say he's not great, but I heard that mentioned earlier and was curious of others' thoughts.

He's somewhere between the 5th and 7th best SS of all time. Longevity definitely plays a part in that.

Back