• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin Thomas

The thing that I thought was so cool last night was you could just see him all of a sudden get confidence in his offensive abilities. He got a couple of shots to go down and I think he was like, "yeah, I got some game on this end of the floor!"

If you want to compare Devin to a former ACC great (which is way premature), Len Elmore is a little better than Tim.

I agree. This is why emotional people and idiots shouldn't post on a game thread.

I'll point out it was me who predicted a all frosh acc campaign for devin this year and got laughed at because he was a 3 star. When we talk stars just remember that Ty walker had 5 and tabb and Swinton had 4. Fuck you dave telep.

Bone there was nothing emotional about what I posted.

Racer's a douchebag who found the only post out of about 5-7 where I mentioned Moto where I didn't give him praise for his effort. It was an oversight. Of course he didn't bring up the others.

Tyler Hansbrough is the most tunnel-visioned dude in the world though. He never passes... ever. He also had a money jumpshot and was allowed to travel.

True, I've blocked out any memory about Hansbrough's passing abilities. I feel like Hansbrough's money jumpshot developed through his career, though. His freshman year was more about having good hands, footwork, and getting all of the garbage buckets. I'm just going off memory here, though.

That's just one comp. Who has another?

Obviously, I don't think Tim Duncan is a good comp.... they both pass well for their positions, but they're basically completely different players.

If you want another comparison, the first one I thought of was Sam Perkins. This is 75% based on their similar height and being left-handed. Obviously Devin doesn't have nearly the outside game Perkins eventually developed, but as a frosh, Sam's range only really went to the free throw line. Devin also takes up a lot more space.

Okay, but you've been accused of this before on game threads. I don't get posting on game threads. You want to share the experience with ... total strangers?

Here's what I recommend. Get yourself an unsympathetic wife who's only sports love is the Olympics and the NBA playoffs (a true blessing), someone who thinks staying connected to your alma mater this way is just beyond stupid. Get a kid who turns off the TV if he thinks you aren't giving him enough attention; then get yourself a nice broadband internet connection and DirectTV. This way you will NEVER EVER watch games in real time again. Now, you can fast forward through all commercials and thus prevent you from having the free time to post while watching the game. When you are done, it is midnight if you are lucky and check the box score and go to bed. No posting comments.

The benefit of this on the wife front far outweighs the loss of watching in real time. In fact, I can't imagine watching the NFL in real time anymore. It's just excruciating.

thomas catching the ball a little below the elbow and patiently waiting for cutters and shooters before deciding what to do is not bad offense to run. he made the right decision nearly every time.

FYC is right about hansbrough. dude was the biggest black hole i've ever seen in my life. i'd be surprised if he ever averaged more than 1 or so assist per game, despite being the center point of the offense, getting double teamed, and be surrounded by AA's.

thomas catching the ball a little below the elbow and patiently waiting for cutters and shooters before deciding what to do is not bad offense to run. he made the right decision nearly every time.

FYC is right about hansbrough. dude was the biggest black hole i've ever seen in my life. i'd be surprised if he ever averaged more than 1 or so assist per game, despite being the center point of the offense, getting double teamed, and be surrounded by AA's.

Yeah, I looked up Hollinger's scouting report on him after I posted that (I remember him playing the exact same way at UNC):

While Hansbrough's attacking, aggressive mindset is impressive and yields some positive results, one can't help wonder how much better he might do if he ever passed. Hansbrough is one of the league's most frustrating players because once he takes a dribble or gets an offensive board, he's never, ever giving it up, no matter how many defenders rotate in his way. Only three power forwards had a lower assist rate last season, even though he usually operated out of the high post -- "assist central" for most big men.

I'm having a tough time coming up with a good comp for Devin. He is super raw in areas and super skilled in others. Excited to se how he develops.

Question for the basketball experts here: explain to me why Devin got a flagrant one? To begin, it clearly wasn't intentional. Further, he was given no room to move - unless a big guy brings the ball below his waist (where it would be easily stolen), he's screwed. All coaches should coach defenders to stick their faces in the area of the offensive player's elbow.

It's a silly rule that is ruining college basketball. Purdue has been screwed repeatedly this year with similar calls.

Watching he and Cav dismantle the zone was a thing of beauty. Props to Cav by the way, kid has some game and hope he continues to stay positive and ride some of the dips in his 1st season. I like him and I think he adds some muscle to his frame in the coming 2 years which will help.

It was a correct call, but it's a dumb rule.

I was just looking for the language of the rule, but i couldn't find it. There really has to be some discretion between unnecessary contact with the elbows when the elbows are extended from the body, and contact made with the elbows tucked closely (as Devin's were).

Watching he and Cav dismantle the zone was a thing of beauty. Props to Cav by the way, kid has some game and hope he continues to stay positive and ride some of the dips in his 1st season. I like him and I think he adds some muscle to his frame in the coming 2 years which will help.

Cav really is a fine player, especially for a freshman. He gets a lot of flak around here, but that typically stems from him doing too much (i.e. shooting on far too many possessions).

He'll be a productive player for four years here though, which is great.

Yeah they both had great spacing, passing, and general awareness against the zone. It was fun to watch. I also like Cav's three point stance.

He reminds me alittle bit of me back in my 6 year old biddy basketball days- I was money!:D

Devin grew up.

And that high post-low post offense was fun to watch

Cav really is a fine player, especially for a freshman. He gets a lot of flak around here, but that typically stems from him doing too much (i.e. shooting on far too many possessions).

There was a play where he just stood at midcourt and watched two or three State players fly past on a fast break. Bz needs to make sure he's cracking down on that shit.

I'm definitely in the Cav camp. Smart ball player that had a rough start last night but came back and was instrumental in our 2nd half run. Just needs to keep his confidence up while he's being forced to play out of position.

Cav is going to a very good player for us. He just shouldn't have to be playing right now. He should be the 5th or 6th man off the bench, and learning his way in practice. Since we are so thin down low he is forced to play way more minutes than he is ready for, so he consequently looks terrible at times. He should come off the bench for spot minutes for the next 2 years, and I fully expect him to grow into a very substantial weapon by his junior year.

We have some talent on this roster. It is unfortunate that we will have to lose some (it would be bad for us to have a 7 man class finish together), but I think in the end we have 4-5 guys that REALLY contribute. I am still not sold on Bz as a coach, but all I really care about is winning and not cheating. If he can win, I will be fine with him as our coach. So far he has 1 win in 3 years, which is not enough to establish whether he can survive in the ACC. Bz is a prick, but so are a lot of coaches. He just needs to start winning more games like this. I would be a little sad as a coach at Wake if the students rushed the court at home against NC State. It really shows how little the fans expect of our team.

Wouldn't it be cool if Devin squeezed out another inch or so in height? He's still only 18 right?

I did not watch the game, can anyone comment on the play of State's big men? Were they just completely outplayed by DT, were there any interesting battles...? Etc...

Back