• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin

MichDeac25

Reaction score
:bowrofl: Dude deserves his own thread. People have called him out big-time in the past for disappearing against top competition, being too emotional, etc. But damn, his play against Louisville and Duke with two of the top big men in the country was absolutely spectacular.

Against Duke/Okafor:
He had 24 and 5 with 3 ast, 4 steals, and 1 block on 12-20 shooting against Duke.
Okafor - 12 and 11, 1 block, 5 TO on 4-6 shooting

Against Louisville/Harrell:
He had 31 and 11 with 2 blocks and 1 steal on 11-14 shooting.
Harrell had 25 and 13 with 1 block on 9-14 shooting.

If he continues to play like this, we're going to beat a bunch of teams and his name is going to get a lot of press. Take him to school, Danny.

His game is so unorthodox he gives other centers fits.

I mean a one-footed step back shot off the glass? Up and unders, crazy reverse layups. It's fun to watch.

I keep thinking about him developing a better right hand and then I'm like well he is what he is...Just go with it.

I'm starting to think that Manning might be the big man coach he was billed to be.

We're extremely lucky that Devin stuck it out at Wake instead of transferring.

Agree that Devin has stepped up. I was very vocal with my criticism of Devin earlier this season and I'm glad he's made me eat my words with these last few games. The big thing is that he has played much smarter recently. He always had the talent, he just needed to relax and do the things that he could do versus trying things that he couldn't.

Hope he keeps it up.

Last edited:
Not really sure there's a better compliment to Devin than coach K having to bench the mighty Okafor on defense since Devin led all scorers in the game.

His game is so unorthodox he gives other centers fits.

I mean a one-footed step back shot off the glass? Up and unders, crazy reverse layups. It's fun to watch.

I keep thinking about him developing a better right hand and then I'm like well he is what he is...Just go with it.

So unorthodox, weird, and awkward that it helps him.

Dude has been balling out these last two games. Major props to him.

Having a dominant hand (so dominant that you can barely use the other hand) is actually a good thing for *some* big men. It leads to quicker decisions, you can develop more moves to get to the same point, your footwork gets established, you know where to line up in the post, people can get in O-reb position, etc. Obviously in most situations it's better to be 2-handed, and I'd be surprised if Coach Manning didn't work on developing a right hand with Devin over the summer.

The last two games are perfect examples of why DT should let his talent and his game speak for themselves and lose the clownish antics. If he can do this against two of the best team defenses in the country, the rest of the season (and next year) should be special for him.

Having a dominant hand (so dominant that you can barely use the other hand) is actually a good thing for *some* big men. It leads to quicker decisions, you can develop more moves to get to the same point, your footwork gets established, you know where to line up in the post, people can get in O-reb position, etc. Obviously in most situations it's better to be 2-handed, and I'd be surprised if Coach Manning didn't work on developing a right hand with Devin over the summer.
The weird thing is that he's left handed but likes playing from the right side. Probably helps him out as it is unorthodox for most players trying to guard him.

Played great last two games. Still needs to chill and get back on D after scoring.

To be fair, Devin had at least two full speed fast break layups where he had a man to beat. One he finished with his left, one he finished with his right. He also had a couple drives where he started left, pump-faked, then finished right. He's definitely getting more comfortable finishing with his right. I think where he still struggles is when he starts going right - like his spin move - and then comes back left since the defenders are expecting it.

I'd rather him get that set shot going. If he could keep guys just a little more honest - last night he missed two outside shots early that Okafor dared him to take - he'll get by guys with that first step of his instead of running into contact and having to do something creative.

It goes something like this:

HARRY - COME TO WAKE FOREST AND STUDY UNDER COACH MANNIG!

You can come to Wake Forest and learn from the best and be a part of something. You will be revered and worshiped, not be just another in a long line of McDonald's All-Americans walking through a revolving door. Come to Wake and make something of your self. Stay close to home and not play for the pussy Coach Cal.

The weird thing is that he's left handed but likes playing from the right side. Probably helps him out as it is unorthodox for most players trying to guard him.

It's really not that crazy. On most moves, his body is between his ball and the basket from the right side. If he started from the left, any move to the middle would have have his left hand closest to the basket, thus exposing the ball to the defender rather than using his body as a buffer.

I almost fell out of my chair when he finished with is right on that layup.

Guy has been a warrior the last 2 games.

Back