• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Devin

You can tack on the epic & memorable Richmond ending, too. He's had a nice run.

those tweets were before last night

but after the UL game. And a resurgent Devin lends credence to all the "big man developer" talk about Manning's role at Kansas. What's different about Devin's game this year - he hasn't physically changed much from last year. It's scheme and development (i.e. Manning). Giles is going to be good wherever he goes and will be drafted high wherever he goes. Selling him that his one year in college can be spent under someone who can really up his game is pretty big.

but after the UL game. And a resurgent Devin lends credence to all the "big man developer" talk about Manning's role at Kansas. What's different about Devin's game this year - he hasn't physically changed much from last year. It's scheme and development (i.e. Manning). Giles is going to be good wherever he goes and will be drafted high wherever he goes. Selling him that his one year in college can be spent under someone who can really up his game is pretty big.

But Giles' game is a lot different than Devin's game, right?

I get the overall point of anything giving Manning credence as a "big man coaching savant" is clearly a good thing, and agree with that, but Giles is such a unique talent and more than just a big man.

I get the overall point of anything giving Manning credence as a "big man coaching savant" is clearly a good thing, and agree with that, but Giles is such a unique talent and more than just a big man.

I mean, by all accounts he is pretty similar to Danny Manning in that regard, right?

I think that Devin focusing more on face up/using quickness in his moves to score rather than traditional big man power moves this year is closer to Giles game (although, I haven't spent much time watching Giles' games - just some highlights). But still the "look what I'm doing with DT, imaging what I can do for you" sell is pretty strong. Also, Manning's game was more than a traditional big man game as well.

I guess the hometown/school he's familiar with and playing with friends might be stronger sells, but playing for Manning is increasingly becoming a factor as well, in part because of Devin's play.

His game is so unorthodox he gives other centers fits.

I mean a one-footed step back shot off the glass? Up and unders, crazy reverse layups. It's fun to watch.

I keep thinking about him developing a better right hand and then I'm like well he is what he is...Just go with it.
The only thing more appropriate would be if he shot those flat FTs like Teachey back in the day...the ones that looked like they wouldn't even get over the front of the rim and then drop! LOL.

Manning is 16 games in and is getting prominent, positive mention by ESPN analyst. Other than "what were they thinking," was anyone saying anything remotely like that about Bzdel!k?

Not only is Devin playing some great ball, he's also become a vocal leader of the team and does a good job working to fire up the crowd.
I love what he's doing.
If he keeps working hard and improving like this, I can't imagine what he could be like by late season.
Devin - don't slow down!

Manning is 16 games in and is getting prominent, positive mention by ESPN analyst. Other than "what were they thinking," was anyone saying anything remotely like that about Bzdel!k?

Sure, but it was written by Steve Shutt for ESPN3 consumption.

I've been a critic. Very little to complain about the last two games. Well done Devin.

I think it is. IMO he's a superior athlete, and is just so quick on his first step and off his feet that almost no one can match him. Honestly, he's a much better version of CJ Leslie minus the crazy. He's going to be a great player.

Devin is playing exceptionally well.

At the end of the game last night after his last shot, Devin went after the ref holding up and slapping his own forearm (probably complaining about another no call). He was clearly frustrated with the outcome of the game and the officiating. Manning called a time out (I think) and Woodberry took Devin aside talked to him, sat him down and then they took him out of the game for the last sequence or two. He sat there, hung his head, looked like he was grumbling to him self, and didn't get in the huddle. That's a big improvement really. It's still a bit childish and disrespectful of the coach and the other players to not even get in the huddle, but its hard to blame Devin after the two or three games he's had and the losses mounting and last night especially after taking no foul shots. I like how Woodberry grabbed him, talked to him and sat him down. I think this staff is doing a better job of channeling Devin's emotions into defensive effort, rebounding effort, etc.

Devin is playing exceptionally well.

At the end of the game last night after his last shot, Devin went after the ref holding up and slapping his own forearm (probably complaining about another no call). He was clearly frustrated with the outcome of the game and the officiating. Manning called a time out (I think) and Woodberry took Devin aside talked to him, sat him down and then they took him out of the game for the last sequence or two. He sat there, hung his head, looked like he was grumbling to him self, and didn't get in the huddle. That's a big improvement really. It's still a bit childish and disrespectful of the coach and the other players to not even get in the huddle, but its hard to blame Devin after the two or three games he's had and the losses mounting and last night especially after taking no foul shots. I like how Woodberry grabbed him, talked to him and sat him down. I think this staff is doing a better job of channeling Devin's emotions into defensive effort, rebounding effort, etc.

of course: 20 shot attempts in the paint, 0 FT attempted, I'd be pissed too

Biased, I know, but no one remembers the latest McDonald's AA at a Duke or UK.

No one will ever forget Chill, Timmy and CP3. I get why he'd want to go elsewhere, but Wake does offer something neither Duke nor Kentucky can: a bigger legacy.

Back