• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Diamond Deacs 2019 (Offseason) | 5 Deacs Drafted

If so, his first start of the year. Control has been a problem; then again, Muntz has only thrown 21 innings.

Realize college baseball numbers generally have inflated offensive numbers (and WF plays in a hitter's park), but WF's team ERA for the season is 5.96. Of the 16 pitchers on WF's roster that have played, only 3 have an ERA below 5.40. WF's 4 primary starters have the following ERAs: 5.60 - Peluse; 6.27 - Shuster; 6.49 - Cusick; 7.61 McSweeney. Yikes.

To expand -- Wake Forest pitching ranks last in the ACC in:

ERA (5.96, second is 5.14)
Hits allowed
Runs allowed
Walks (tied with Pitt)
Doubles
HRs (tied with GT)
Batting avg.
Wild pitches

Only team in the ACC without a shutout.

I'm curious as to the effect our pitching lab is having. I know it's a huge positive on paper but if we are changing pitching motions, it would likely take some time to adapt to those changes. I don't think it's a talent issue (at least with the starters) because Peluse and McSweeney have been effective pitchers in the past.

Muntz, I believe.

Will have to cobble together nine innings (as per usual) but with a tired pen. Guessing we’ll end up seeing McSweeney in relief anyway along with some combination of Hearn, Menendez, Bach and Fleming.

Hits allowed
Runs allowed
Walks (tied with Pitt)
Doubles
HRs (tied with GT)
Batting avg.
Wild pitches

Also a ton of passed balls and stolen bases (which of course are blamed on the catcher but there is joint responsibility)

I'm curious as to the effect our pitching lab is having. I know it's a huge positive on paper but if we are changing pitching motions, it would likely take some time to adapt to those changes. I don't think it's a talent issue (at least with the starters) because Peluse and McSweeney have been effective pitchers in the past.

The pitching lab was never supposed to have an immediate impact. They've thrown in it two or three times with all the lights and cameras on, so to speak, since it opened. It's a long-term developmental tool, and I'm not sure anybody said in January that it would have a direct impact on this season. If they did, apologies for being mistaken.

I think the biggest factor for the pitching problems is that they changed pitching coaches in what, mid-December? I'm not faulting Hobbs for leaving, nor saying Hendricks is a bad pitching coach, but I've gotta think when you go through an entire fall hearing one voice, and then that changes, it's going to cause some issues. Hendricks basically had two months, one of which the guys were actually on campus, to learn their strengths, weaknesses, pitches, ailments, etc. I hate seeming like I'm making excuses, but that seems to be the most-obvious factor when looking at why guys like Peluse and McSweeney have numbers so much worse than their first couple of seasons.

Hits allowed
Runs allowed
Walks (tied with Pitt)
Doubles
HRs (tied with GT)
Batting avg.
Wild pitches

And that's how a team with the most Home runs and best run total per game (7.8) in the ACC gets left out of the dance.

Seems like four more wins should put us in good positiong for the tourney between the ACCT and our four remaining regular season games.

Looking at RPI, we've got a lot of opponents who are close to the top 50 -- Liberty (54), BC (59), FSU (57), Virginia Tech (62). Would be good for some of those to sneak into the top 50.

I hope I will be eating my words but tonight’s lineup has Harvey, Long, Meuller, and Poteet. This is a must win game. Hope they step up.

I guess we will miss out on the post season to make sure the seniors don’t get their feelings hurt. Not chance we come back with 4 holes in the lineup.

Radford starting pitcher came into the game having yielded 20 earned runs in 20.1 innings on the year

He’s pitching a shutout through 4 innings tonight

Have the tying run at the plate. 8-5 in the 8th. Usually this is a big tease.

Never were going to make the tourney but tonight’s loss certainly doesn’t help.

With the ACC Tourney starting next Tuesday, WF's series at Clemson starts tonight. Essentially, an elimination series for WF as don't see WF getting an at large bid without at least taking 2 of 3 at Clemson. Hope WF's bats are ready to mash.

Some say every team "makes the play-offs." It's just a matter of when you are eliminated.

The state of the art pitching lab doesn’t seem to be working. What a crock. At least Manning makes Walter look like a decent coach.

We are getting carved up by 70 mph hanging breaking balls. We do not deserve making the tournament and are proving that with the last week of play. Is there a chance we lose Lanzilli to the draft?

Back