• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did you renew your Deacon Club membership?

Assuming no one is cooking the books, that is really surprising.

#LunaticFringe

Yeah, I think that was a middle finger from Ron to those of us who bailed out because of him and Bzz.

wish there was a poll so i didn't have to read the thread :(((((((((((

I suspect that the harshness and radical opposition of a few have provoked the larger donors to register their disapproval by increasing support. I doubt that very many are OK with the current status of either the basketball or football programs; however there maybe a strong disapproval of the way a few have expressed their opposition. The constant negativity is producing results; but those results are not what is intended.

Just an opinion.

So we have spiteful fools increasing their donations toward a poor product.

Or the guy who cooked the books at KK is cooking them at Wake.

Might be a combination. The desired result was public awareness that the state of our athletic program was unacceptable to a portion of the fanbase willing to put their money where their mouths are.

That was achieved.

I actually went back to see if I could find a similar email from the DC in years past, and I could not. Perhaps I just didn't find it, but this is basically a middle finger to the lunatic fringe.

Driven by one or two delusional large donors I am sure.

So we have spiteful fools increasing their donations toward a poor product.

Or the guy who cooked the books at KK is cooking them at Wake.

Might be a combination. The desired result was public awareness that the state of our athletic program was unacceptable to a portion of the fanbase willing to put their money where their mouths are.

That was achieved.

Outside of supporting Ron's massive ego and wealthy donors' collective ignorance, what would the point of cooking the books be, at this stage?

Those are two pretty big reasons. Not sure they need another one.

Those are two pretty big reasons. Not sure they need another one.

There doesn't seem to be any institutional advantage, though. The University will still have to pay for scholarship, real estate, and expenses - that the AD's decreased earnings can no longer pay for - out of its own coffers. For as big as Ron's ego seems to be, Wake is still first and foremost a nationally-renowned university. It seems like any impinging on its primary function as an institution would be a bigger issue than sticking it to the lunatic fringe.

You'd think. Doesn't mean it is.

There doesn't seem to be any institutional advantage, though. The University will still have to pay for scholarship, real estate, and expenses - that the AD's decreased earnings can no longer pay for - out of its own coffers. For as big as Ron's ego seems to be, Wake is still first and foremost a nationally-renowned university. It seems like any impinging on its primary function as an institution would be a bigger issue than sticking it to the lunatic fringe.

Yeah, but he is also trying to tell the borderline-lunatic fringe (like the people on this thread who have continued to donate) who are the fence about pulling money that they should side with the peer pressure to give, not the peer pressure not to give. "It's okay, people with a lot more money than you, and thus a lot smarter than you, are still giving. Be like them." Whatever the current donations are, he is trying to maintain them through the next few years of Bzz-ball.

An increase of 3%, btw, cannot be historically competitive. And I tend to doubt that 4,000 total donors was impressive.

Back