• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Did you renew your Deacon Club membership?

I don't understand some of the connections being made here. Obviously, we can disagree on leadership, direction, communication, etc. I'll disagree, but I can accept that some (many?) feel mistreated, lied to, etc. That's fine. I can understand not wanting to support that kind of system if you feel that way, so I would understand giving tickets away, not buying t-shirts, etc.

I just think it may be too much to equate all of that to then choosing not to contribute to scholarships for students. If my (very) small contribution can help support a scholarship for just one student-athlete, I feel good about myself and proud that I'm able to help a 19-year old kid who chose to attend my alma mater. I hope that kid has an amazing experience and grows to love Wake just as much as ALL of us do.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just sharing the way I approach this.

Not one cent. I'll go to a few football games this year where I can get free tickets, but I'm not buying any. And I won't go to any basketball games. Until Wellman and [Redacted] are gone, I don't any of my money going to fund their mess.

I don't understand some of the connections being made here. Obviously, we can disagree on leadership, direction, communication, etc. I'll disagree, but I can accept that some (many?) feel mistreated, lied to, etc. That's fine. I can understand not wanting to support that kind of system if you feel that way, so I would understand giving tickets away, not buying t-shirts, etc.

I just think it may be too much to equate all of that to then choosing not to contribute to scholarships for students. If my (very) small contribution can help support a scholarship for just one student-athlete, I feel good about myself and proud that I'm able to help a 19-year old kid who chose to attend my alma mater. I hope that kid has an amazing experience and grows to love Wake just as much as ALL of us do.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, just sharing the way I approach this.

Not ashamed to say that I don't feel compelled in the slightest way to give to anything as long as Ron Wellman is there. Kudos to those of you who feel differently, but there are plenty of more worthy causes in the world to give to imo. If the University wants my support then they will make an honest attempt to field winning teams and stop embarrassing all of us. If the administration doesn't care what I think...which becomes more and more apparent, then I can return the favor with my apathy. The attitude of the leadership with this high and mighty "right way" crap is just sickening.

Being smug about being good is one thing. We are just smug. Embarrassing.

Not ashamed to say that I don't feel compelled in the slightest way to give to anything as long as Ron Wellman is there. Kudos to those of you who feel differently, but there are plenty of more worthy causes in the world to give to imo. If the University wants my support then they will make an honest attempt to field winning teams and stop embarrassing all of us. If the administration doesn't care what I think...which becomes more and more apparent, then I can return the favor with my apathy. The attitude of the leadership with this high and mighty "right way" crap is just sickening.

Being smug about being good is one thing. We are just smug. Embarrassing.

The pomposity of the current administration is matched only by the level of their hubris.

I'm curious if all the contributions people who have posted on this thread even cover one year of tuition and fees for one student. Heck, one semester.

Yeah it's a pretty good argument to talk about the positive impact of donating but also downplay those who choose not to renew.

I'm curious if all the contributions people who have posted on this thread even cover one year of tuition and fees for one student. Heck, one semester.

I highly doubt it. I don't think my donation to the American Cancer Society is going to fund their research, and I don't think my gift to the Blood Water Mission is going to give a year's worth of water to a village in Africa any time soon. But I still feel good trying my best to help in whatever small way I can. I'd feel guilty not giving back to something I personally benefited so much from.

Not meant to guilt anyone else into feeling anything, just my personal opinion. If Coaches vs. Cancer or Habitat for Humanity lied to me one year about an event they were going to host, I'd be pretty upset. If I felt they didn't listen to my feedback or opinions on their organizations, I might not go to the event the next year. I would still give to support cancer research or Housing for those in need, though.

I know many of you are giving elsewhere. That makes sense to me. We all love Wake, though. I still choose to give to Wake.

Not one cent. I'll go to a few football games this year where I can get free tickets, but I'm not buying any. And I won't go to any basketball games. Until Wellman and [Redacted] are gone, I don't any of my money going to fund their mess.

This is basically what I'm doing. I'll probably go to the football game at Clemson with some Clemson friends to watch us get our asses kicked (haven't been there since the 2004 Marcus McGruder bullshit pass interference debacle).

I think undergrad institutions, especially ones that are considered more academic elite, will need to do a better job in the future to sell themselves and keep the connections to their alumni considering a majority of people go on to further their education. For me the only thing that Wake has over the other universities I attended was athletics, now I don't even have that. My professional career has been furthered a lot more by the name and education from the schools after Wake and so far they haven't shit all over me.

I doubled my Deacon Club contribution, bought my season football ticket and parking pass, and paid the balance owed on my permanent reserved seat. Cheap at twice the price.

I think undergrad institutions, especially ones that are considered more academic elite, will need to do a better job in the future to sell themselves and keep the connections to their alumni considering a majority of people go on to further their education. For me the only thing that Wake has over the other universities I attended was athletics, now I don't even have that. My professional career has been furthered a lot more by the name and education from the schools after Wake and so far they haven't shit all over me.

This is a great point.

Can you share the names of these schools? Btw, great post.

There are good reasons to give money to the DC and good reasons not to. I don't really begrudge someone making either decision.

I agree that it is pretty stupid of them to alienate this many alumni. $125 may not be the death of Wake Forest athletics, but killing that person's excitement for Wake is going to hurt the networking aspect.

I'm not pissed at anyone that gave, but I sure wish they wouldn't have. The older I get, the more urgent the shitstorm that Ron Wellman is becomes for me. I don't need a decade of suck. I may only have 25 years left, we need to get this shit moving.

I'm not pissed at anyone that gave, but I sure wish they wouldn't have. The older I get, the more urgent the shitstorm that Ron Wellman is becomes for me. I don't need a decade of suck. I may only have 25 years left, we need to get this shit moving.

^^^THIS^^^So much THIS^^^

Deaconstipation problems.

I gave the minimum for my level which would have been a 30%+ drop and sent a note recounting my unhappiness with the underachievement across the board, the direction of the programs, and the disgrace of taking the 1st amendment rights of students and tossing them from the joel. After years of giving and hoping to get to go to the ACC Tourney, now I can and I don't wnat to go. I leave when we lose so the book of tickets has not been a great investment when we go out in the first round consistently even before Buzz. Maybe if we do end up in NYC I can chill and hit a Broadway play or two while other teams contend for the ACC Championship.

Back