• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino: WFU source sez atmosphere in AD is "toxic"

So here is what I've learned from this thread (I've marked my favorite):

Mike Buddie is a Wellman mini-me.
Wellman is a puppet for hatch.
Wellman is an evil overlord.
Wellman is brain-damaged and is merely a figurehead.
Don Flow is really the man pulling the strings.
There is a toxic relationship between our biggest donors and the AD.
*Wellman waited until Bz's daughter started at Wake before hiring him.
Cassteven is responsible for Dino's payout.
Manning and Clawson have the real leverage in the department.
Dino was a horrible coach.
Dino was a great coach.

#pizzabuttfuckedapple

In my experience Mike Buddie is far from being Wellman's mini-me and he's no happier with Wake losing than anyone on this board. He won a World Series so at least he knows what it takes to be a champion. He's also an alum so has more than a "this is just a job" vested interest in how we perform.

In my experience Mike Buddie is far from being Wellman's mini-me and he's no happier with Wake losing than anyone on this board. He won a World Series so at least he knows what it takes to be a champion. He's also an alum so has more than a "this is just a job" vested interest in how we perform.

But is he WFU Class of 8x or WFU Law Class of 13?

If Buddie ran the Clawson search than he seems like a sound choice to me. Anyone else internal, no thanks.

His background is development so hopefully he has good fundraising chops too.

Yep- if Kersh is the new Pres in waiting then we should be in good hands. He's a fellow Class of '86 graduate and we talked a lot of sports together back in our days at MSD.:thumbsup:

I like Kersh. He came to Charlotte to speak a couple of years ago when I was really sour on Hatch, Grobe and Bz. He gave me hope that at least somebody high up at Wake cared about the school. He is a big sports guy, which is nice.

You will also have to give out goodie bags when you invite them to your birthday party so they feel like they are getting something back for getting you a present. Doesn't matter that you paid to entertain them for a couple hours and fed them pizza, cake and ice cream.

Manning will have to move the team post-game meetings at Chuck E. Cheese.

Again, I don't know the guy, and in fairness he might be a stud AD.

But this is one time we don't need an alumnus. We need somebody objective to get in there and start throwing furniture around. The AD is mired in a culture of losing and low expectations. We need somebody not burdened by the emotion baggage of being a Wake grad to take control. We also need somebody to steer us away from the pathetic "class, integrity, whatever" theme. I'm not suggesting for a minute those things aren't important - to the contrary, doing things with class and integrity is a given, and shouldn't be the basis for a marketing campaign.

Moreover, even well-loved alumni aren't destined for success just by becoming WF employees. Exhibit A: Rusty. Exhibit B: Randolph. Sad but true, at least to this point in his tenure.

I really hope that our next AD is an outsider and more importantly already an AD with experience making hires and fires. Promoting from within does not sound like a good idea.

That's what Wellman was when WFU hired him.

We need a person who will convince the administration to be more flexible on athlete admissions, if we will ever be competitive again. Hatch wants us to be top-notch academic as well as compete like Notre Dame. That will never happen here with the resources given to the Wake Forest faculty by our current administration. For example let's consider junior college transfers to the baseball program, as was prevalent from the 1950s until a few years ago. As is the case with basketball's one-and-done recruits, college is often just a stepping stone for very talented baseball players to pro baseball.

I can see an outsider buying into LOWF just as easily as an alum (everybody's second favorite team). I want someone that doesn't accept anything less than excellence in every aspect. If that is an alum that is passionate about his/her school, and takes those things that much more personally, so be it. There are plenty of Wake people on this board that expect excellence and don't want to settle for just competing and moral victories. Being a Wake "insider" doesn't mean accepting mediocrity (or worse).

Being a Wake alum is a factor to be considered. It's usually a positive for the reasons already given. More pride, more of a stake. However, what's most important is the right attitude and a demand for success. Cannot have anyone that will buy into LOWF one iota.

Again, I don't know the guy, and in fairness he might be a stud AD.

But this is one time we don't need an alumnus. We need somebody objective to get in there and start throwing furniture around. The AD is mired in a culture of losing and low expectations. We need somebody not burdened by the emotion baggage of being a Wake grad to take control. We also need somebody to steer us away from the pathetic "class, integrity, whatever" theme. I'm not suggesting for a minute those things aren't important - to the contrary, doing things with class and integrity is a given, and shouldn't be the basis for a marketing campaign.

Moreover, even well-loved alumni aren't destined for success just by becoming WF employees. Exhibit A: Rusty. Exhibit B: Randolph. Sad but true, at least to this point in his tenure.

Wellman isn't a WF grad & maybe that is part of the problem. Wake Forest grads may be more inclined at this point to take the bull by the horns to return our programs to levels we can be proud of.

If Buddie ran the Clawson search than he seems like a sound choice to me. Anyone else internal, no thanks.

His background is development so hopefully he has good fundraising chops too.

I'd go with John Currie before Buddie. Nothing against Mike, but I'd prefer someone who has some experience running an athletic department.

Wellman isn't a WF grad & maybe that is part of the problem. Wake Forest grads may be more inclined at this point to take the bull by the horns to return our programs to levels we can be proud of.

Eh. We have plenty of Wake grads with a loser mentality. I want a competent AD who is driven.

I like Clawson but Wellman/Buddie hiring the best MAC coach they can get is hardly a sign that Buddie is the guy.

Eh. We have plenty of Wake grads with a loser mentality. I want a competent AD who is driven.

I like Clawson but Wellman/Buddie hiring the best MAC coach they can get is hardly a sign that Buddie is the guy.

Agree. Seems to be some parochialism in the current leadership's approach to finding and hiring coaches.

Do I really need to read these 10 pages on how firing Dino was the right move, but hiring Buzz was a terrible move? Or can I just remember the 2819371937193 pages already written on the subject?

Yeah, probably should have hired Chip Kelly since we have tons of cash and we're really an attractive stop for a football coach.

I'd go with John Currie before Buddie. Nothing against Mike, but I'd prefer someone who has some experience running an athletic department.

What has Currie done at K State that is particularly impressive? He drove away a pretty successful bball coach to an inferior program and then hired a Big Ten retread who is currently dismantling the program.

To PH's point, I would prefer my AD to hire the best MAC coach instead of the worst Big Ten coach. Call it the Grobe / Prosser approach over the [Redacted] approach.

Back