• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan on the GT Debacle

Get Spock to talk to him.

yesss

44710940.jpg

So lemme see if I have comprehended this correctly. We had "culture" problems. So we bring in Buzzdick to instill a better culture. So we clearly have a problem kid in Tabb (who I acknowledge was recruited by the prior coach). He's not hacking it in the classroom and has offcourt problems. So we lie for him and say he has mono. Then we give him 2nd and 3rd chances until we finally have to do something with him when he runs afoul of the law. Then the guy who allegedly ran afoul of the law with him gets to play his senior with no repercussions. And then our AD lauds Buzzdick for how he's cleaned up the program. Have I got it now?

Pretty much. Except that is just the tip of the iceberg of stuff happening over the last four years.

Pretty much. Except that is just the tip of the iceberg of stuff happening over the last four years.
Deman posted this on his own forum. Care to respond, Baby? Are some of the sophs having trouble in the classroom?

"I agree with this except for what the new coach will have to work with. If several players (which I think likely) transfer out AND have GPA's below 2.5, then we will take an APR hit and limit the number of ships he would be able to give."

Dear Devin,

We really appreciate your heart and hustle. We also recognize your improvement through dedication and hard work. You can rest assured that we fans have not abandoned the team, and we are not going to abandon the team. After all, we are still here. We just think that Jeff [Redacted] has demonstrated insufficiencies in so many areas that he is not fit to be the head coach at Wake Forest. He needs to go. Maybe it's time to call a team meeting and go see Athletic Director Ron Wellman and explain to him that Buzz is a loser and you guys want to win. Help turn the winter of our discontent glorious by dumping this son of dork.

Thanks,

sailordeac

I've posted this before and I'm sure I will post it again before the [Redacted] Error is a thing of our past.

The players need to do something similar to this:

I think Devin really messed up when talking about Miles.

What he should have said was "how the hell did Ovalnuts get a scholarship?"

I can only hope that one day all the things you have alluded to come to light.

We can hope because I have heard there is plenty that has been kept under wraps just to keep the "magic" of Bz happening. Typical college kid stuff, but still "stuff".

Well Devin had a reason to be POed - with himself. Bad enough to be called out by GT to shoot the FT at the end of the half, and then he responds with an air-ball.

When did they change this rule? Didn't the coach get to pick the player -- one of the 5 on the court -- to shoot the FTs? I guess I really have stopped paying close attention to these little things during the [Redacted] Error, but I don't get how it's fair to let the other team pick the shooter especially when Codi was injured by Tech's player when he fell on his leg.

Perhaps I'm conflating this situation with a technical foul situation where the coach picks, but someone help me out. Thanks!

When did they change this rule? Didn't the coach get to pick the player -- one of the 5 on the court -- to shoot the FTs? I guess I really have stopped paying close attention to these little things during the [Redacted] Error, but I don't get how it's fair to let the other team pick the shooter especially when Codi was injured by Tech's player when he fell on his leg.

Perhaps I'm conflating this situation with a technical foul situation where the coach picks, but someone help me out. Thanks!

What they're trying to avoid is someone faking an injury to gain an advantage (e.g., Devin faking an injury so that someone on our team who's good at free throws, assuming we have such a player, can take his free throws). People talk about it happening all the time in football for the defense to get rest vs fast tempo offenses (e.g., The Hat's Nascar Offense (note, tongue firmly in-cheek)), but I've never seen anything fishy in CBB.

What they're trying to avoid is someone faking an injury to gain an advantage (e.g., Devin faking an injury so that someone on our team who's good at free throws, assuming we have such a player, can take his free throws). People talk about it happening all the time in football for the defense to get rest vs fast tempo offenses (e.g., The Hat's Nascar Offense (note, tongue firmly in-cheek)), but I've never seen anything fishy in CBB.

I guess that makes sense, in the name of fairness. But I don't remember injuries, let alone fake ones, being such a problem in CBB. But then again, I really don't watch a lot of CBB anymore. Thanks Bzdoucheik!

I guess that makes sense, in the name of fairness. But I don't remember injuries, let alone fake ones, being such a problem in CBB. But then again, I really don't watch a lot of CBB anymore. Thanks Bzdoucheik!

Agree, it's a solution to a non-existent problem. The NCAA obviously doesn't have anything important to worry about like, say, the rampant cheating at our neighbor to the east or, you know, how the entire organization can continue to justify making millions of the backs of "student" athletes.

The best teams feed off their fans and their teammates. Duke is the prime example. This team, under [Redacted], has been determined to alienate their fans. It's obvious that's how [Redacted] has lived his life, and now he's in stilling that in these players. That is the most troubling thing, even beyond the losing. If Ron wants culture, this isn't it.

Its almost like Bz gets more joy out of spiting the fans than representing our university.

BobKnightFan (whatever the handle) can tell you about how Tacy tried to pull that off one time, which helped fuel a player rebellion against Gentleman Carl.

Somebody actually wrote this in the comments section:

Dan, as always, thanks for your good work. I enjoy reading your column. In my opinion you always deliver.

I would like to take a minute to point out a bit of persepective for some of my fellow Deacon fans. I admire the passion that our fans have, yet I believe that in some cases it clouds our judgement of the team. I was so proud of Coach Grobe because of how he prioritized the development of his players:

1.) Character
2.) Academics
3.) Athletics

I would love to have a national contender caliber program return to Wake, but I will always be proud that we have a program filled with class and dignitiy. It's important to remember (especially for those who have never played sports) the place that sports have in the players lives and our own as fans. Only a select few players make a living from this, but for most of them this is an opportunity to learn to work together to achieve a common goal, to grow as men (or women), and to get a world class education while doing it. The fans get to experience the enjoyment of watching their favorite team work and grow together as we draw parallels to our own lives - the true power of commitment, passion, and teamwork.

I would always enjoy more wins, but as long as the progam, players, and coaches show class, dignity, and respect, then I will never be more proud of my team.

Go DEACS!!!

That's the most well written example of LOWF I've perhaps ever seen.

That has to be a parody.

That has to be a parody.

Maybe. I have a hard time thinking anyone in their right mind would read that article, read quotes from players making excuses and throwing other players under the bus, and think "wow, I am so proud of this team and university."

Heard today from a buddy that's got buddies high up at Wake, he said no matter what happens the rest of the season Bzz is gone after this year

Back