• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan on the GT Debacle

Hate to burst the LOWF crowd's bubble, but a majority of ACC basketball starters (and a number of bench players) go on to earn their living playing basketball. At least overseas for a few years.

That has to be a parody.

I can't speak to this specific post but I highly doubt it's a parody. You would be amazed how many blue hairs continue to keep this enterprise afloat and believe EVERY word of what was written in that post. I know several of them. This is Wellman's base and he could care less if the rest of us go jump in the damn river. These widows have fortunes and Wellman's goons prey upon them. Hell, just grab a table at the Village Tavern and you'll see it up close on an almost weekly basis.

And, I suspect, BabyDeac will concur with every word I just typed above.

I don't doubt that they believe it, but after reading that article?

I can't speak to this specific post but I highly doubt it's a parody. You would be amazed how many blue hairs continue to keep this enterprise afloat and believe EVERY word of what was written in that post. I know several of them. This is Wellman's base and he could care less if the rest of us go jump in the damn river. These widows have fortunes and Wellman's goons prey upon them. Hell, just grab a table at the Village Tavern and you'll see it up close on an almost weekly basis.

And, I suspect, BabyDeac will concur with every word I just typed above.

Wellman's not exactly a young man, despite the fake tan and hair dye, and he's been around for 20+ years. It's not surprise that he's got certain folks under his culture spell.

So can you elaborate why no matter what happens he's gone when this season has already been more successful than and still has more potential than last year? What has changed?

Depending on how the rest of the season plays out, it is yet to be determined whether this year is more successful than last, especially relative to expectations. Given yet another year on the job, this season needed to be significantly better than last, and by any reasonable standard it is not yet clear that it will be, and has the potential to get ugly quick. Several key things are different since last year. So, to answer your question as to what changed ...
1) Expectations. Even if you want to argue that by playing a cupcake schedule the record may be slightly better this year, performance has fallen short of "successful", especially when considering whether a contract extension would be warranted.
2) Contract status. The clock is ticking. Another year has past. Going into the final year of a five-year contract, either an extension or a resignation will occur.
3) Another year of frustration. Bz's, not ours. Courtney has graduated. Nina is unhappy. He has offered to resign before. This time RW will take him up on the offer.
4) Money. Saved the most important one for last. That is the driving factor. Big $$ gave the AD a long leash, trusted the message, found that wanting, and has become increasingly impatient. They are expressing greater concern than ever. Small-donor contributions already had dropped significantly, but not enough to alter the commitment to the current situation given major-donor support. However, recently overall fundraising efforts have been impacted and the athletic situation in general, and the basketball program in particular, are frequently cited by donors declining to contribute, leading to support levels below expectation. Clearly, this negative impact is now being felt beyond the AD.

4) Money. Saved the most important one for last. That is the driving factor. Big $$ gave the AD a long leash, trusted the message, found that wanting, and has become increasingly impatient. They are expressing greater concern than ever. Small-donor contributions already had dropped significantly, but not enough to alter the commitment to the current situation given major-donor support. However, recently overall fundraising efforts have been impacted and the athletic situation in general, and the basketball program in particular, are frequently cited by donors declining to contribute, leading to support levels below expectation. Clearly, this negative impact is now being felt beyond the AD.

I hope so. So tired of this piss poor product. We'll be lucky to win 2-3 games the rest of the way.

I get a little kick out of the fact that [Redacted] tried to resign not once, but twice (and maybe three times?) while here at Wake. If it wasn't for Ron Wellman being a pig-headed jackass (that's a funny mental image...a donkey with a pig's head...) then [Redacted] would have coached at 4 colleges in his career and never completed 4 seasons as their coach.

This is the guy that talks about "building things" "the right way". What a fucking fraud.

I get a little kick out of the fact that [Redacted] tried to resign not once, but twice (and maybe three times?) while here at Wake. If it wasn't for Ron Wellman being a pig-headed jackass (that's a funny mental image...a donkey with a pig's head...) then [Redacted] would have coached at 4 colleges in his career and never completed 4 seasons as their coach.

This is the guy that talks about "building things" "the right way". What a fucking fraud.

Now there is a billboard idea! A picture of the "pig-headed jackass" with the caption, "MEET RON WELLMAN".

Back