• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan Talks Clemson Win

Truth. Maybe I'm being paranoid...I just don't want to settle for a above average coach this season when we could endure one more year of pain for an exceptional coach in 2016

I think our chances of landing an exceptional coach are better now than they would be in one (or two? why did you say 2016?) year(s). We will be the premiere high major job available this spring and there is no guarantee that will be the case in a year or two.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot and all that.

I think our chances of landing an exceptional coach are better now than they would be in one (or two? why did you say 2016?) year(s). We will be the premiere high major job available this spring and there is no guarantee that will be the case in a year or two.

Gotta strike while the iron is hot and all that.

typo, 2015. Yeah, we will certainly be the best of what's available for this coaching search. We just need to nail this one home. I haven't been as nervous for any game this season as I am about the upcoming coaching search.

Karl Hess did the Wake game last night, I think it was the first time back in Winston in several years so I called him over before the tipoff and asked if he had forgotten the way to Winston since we had not seen him here for a while and he said almost, he saw one of our seat neighbor's child sitting on my wife's lap and gave him the ball to hold. He then asked if he could dribble so he bounced it a few times and Karl said" he could play for Wake, oops my bad" with a chuckle, I busted out laughing. Gotta love Karl Hess.

typo, 2015. Yeah, we will certainly be the best of what's available for this coaching search. We just need to nail this one home. I haven't been as nervous for any game this season as I am about the upcoming coaching search.

I don't see the talent pool for coaching candidates getting any better than it is this year either. Howland, for sure, will get a job this offseason. If Shaka or Marshall won't take our job now, they won't take it next year. Several of our mid-major targets will get better jobs this offseason as well so Mike Lonergan, Mike White, etc... could be off the table.

I don't see the talent pool for coaching candidates getting any better than it is this year either. Howland, for sure, will get a job this offseason. If Shaka or Marshall won't take our job now, they won't take it next year. Several of our mid-major targets will get better jobs this offseason as well so Mike Lonergan, Mike White, etc... could be off the table.

Yep. We're lucky that two of the better candidates from 2010 are still available.

Dude, do you not realize how much [Redacted] probably dropped that night?

First, they probably got the mozz sticks because they are unearthly good there, that's $6 right off the bat!

And I am sure Buzz probably tipped at least 12-13% on the pretax bill.

Karl Hess did the Wake game last night, I think it was the first time back in Winston in several years so I called him over before the tipoff and asked if he had forgotten the way to Winston since we had not seen him here for a while and he said almost, he saw one of our seat neighbor's child sitting on my wife's lap and gave him the ball to hold. He then asked if he could dribble so he bounced it a few times and Karl said" he could play for Wake, oops my bad" with a chuckle, I busted out laughing. Gotta love Karl Hess.
Haha that's pretty funny. He's been doing ACC games since '97 I believe.
Also nice work identifying Intense Wake Fan, sorry for labeling him as a big donor, bad assumption on my part. He was the only fan who could be heard last night.

Last edited:
"He said `Well why don't we got to the Rotisserie Factory here in Winston-Salem and see Simone the owner. The last coach I took there won, so let's go again.'

That Simone???

Too bad bz's contract doesn't say, "if you suck we can fire you on the spot...free!" He's already milked MILLIONS for doing the worst coaching job in the history of Wake basketball. That should be enough!

Too bad bz's contract doesn't say, "if you suck we can fire you on the spot...free!" He's already milked MILLIONS for doing the worst coaching job in the history of Wake basketball. That should be enough!

Why stop at Wake Forest basketball?

Truth. Maybe I'm being paranoid...I just don't want to settle for a above average coach this season when we could endure one more year of pain for an exceptional coach in 2016

we'll have to get really lucky to get an "exceptional" coach.

If you go back and look at all of the hires that got made the same year we hired Buzz I know a lot of people were calling some of the other hires exceptional... and now they're soon to be on the trash heap.

Couple that with the fact that our program is in freefall and I'm not sure we'll get anything better than an above average coach. What we need is an above average coach who has the ability to get even better and who can / does recruit.

Did everybody really let this quote go by:

"We''ve got to bring more heart guys. You're not playing with anything"

So the freshman is telling the upper classmen that they are not playing with heart or enough effort. Seems are players didn't dispute that. Maybe we should just put McClinton behind the bench?

Despite our current problems, we've still had quite a bit of success in the past and are know as a school that places high value on hoops. At worst we should attract rising coaches that want to make their mark. The bar is incredibly low right now. Pending transfers he'll have experienced players who should be able to produce a winning season and at worst an NIT bid. If he finishes over 500 and makes the NCAA's he'll be the king of Wake Forest.

The biggest challenge always is finding a guy who buys into selling what Wake has to offer. Great education and elite level basketball. So you have to have guys like Skip and Clawson who can sell that message.

He only has 1 year left on his contract now, and if it was written into his contract that he gets the full amount with just 1 year left then Wellman is a fucking imbecile.

So a $2MM buyout then?

Back