• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Disco Dan Talks State Debacle (Well Done, Dan!)

Yes, he actually said that.

I'm not so sure that Bzz is gone. Remember, Wellman kept Caldwell around for EIGHT YEARS. He only had a winning season in his second to last year. Buzz would be with us at least one more year. I won't be watching Wake basketball but Bzz could be around. :rulz:

WF Football ≠ WF Basketball.

Caldwell was, what some might call, 'historically competitive' at WF.

Wake football is not Wake basketball. We had no expectations there. We were at rock bottom when he got here.

Wake football is not Wake basketball. We had no expectations there. We were at rock bottom when he got here.

Dooley's last game (1992 Independence Bowl win) was Wake's 1st bowl win (and 2nd bowl appearance) since the formation of the ACC in 1953. The '92 team actually finished ranked in both polls.

Caldwell wasn't left with many pieces for '93, but you'd have a hard time convincing me he came in at 'rock-bottom'.

We need to capitalize on our NBA stars while we still can as well. Duncan has been a force for such a long time that people take him for granted, but he has maybe two more years left. Even CP will be 29 this year. Those guys won't be around forever, much less playing at an elite level, to bolster our recruiting profile.

I don't want to come across as a bzzz apologist, because I, like everyone else feel that he needs to get out of dodge. Last night though is a pretty firm example of the team packing it in just as much as buzz. The lack of focus on the free throw line can't be blamed on buzz. The jokingly bad T/O's can't completely fall on the shoulders of buzz. The average game plan and below average in game coaching should fall on his shoulders though. Agree with the aforementioned post that there has never been a more fitting time for fresh blood in our basketball program.

For someone who doesn't "want to come across as a bzzz apologist," your posting history here indicates otherwise.

I love how Bz apologists like Creamy always spout off with "well Bz can't shoot free throws for them" when free throws is like the 25th most pressing issue in this program right now.

I don't want to come across as a bzzz apologist, because I, like everyone else feel that he needs to get out of dodge. Last night though is a pretty firm example of the team packing it in just as much as buzz. The lack of focus on the free throw line can't be blamed on buzz. The jokingly bad T/O's can't completely fall on the shoulders of buzz. The average game plan and below average in game coaching should fall on his shoulders though. Agree with the aforementioned post that there has never been a more fitting time for fresh blood in our basketball program.

Jesus Christ you can't possibly be serious... How is a team packing it in and a complete lack of focus not a responsibility of the head coach? Isn't he directly responsible for building his players confidence and keeping them focused? The team had a poor game plan and no focus to boot. That is a direct failure of coaching and leadership. Despite not wanting to come across as a Bzzz apologist you sure seem to give him a pass for just about every root cause of our failures.

Seriously unless Dino was sleeping with a student manager, that's his and his family's thing. I mean people still talk about Tommy Hearn as this great leader who moved Wake forward, but it's not as if he didn't have his (I believe acknowledged to be true) travel agent issues.

Jesus Christ you can't possibly be serious... How is a team packing it in and a complete lack of focus not a responsibility of the head coach? Isn't he directly responsible for building his players confidence and keeping them focused? The team had a poor game plan and no focus to boot. That is a direct failure of coaching and leadership. Despite not wanting to come across as a Bzzz apologist you sure seem to give him a pass for just about every root cause of our failures.

It's not Bz's fault! What exactly does a coach in the midst of his 7th consecutive losing season say to motivate a team after things have already turned south?

---

WF is now 5-29 (.147) in February and March under Jeff [Redacted]

In case you've forgotten.... Ron Wellman addressing the decision to fire Gaudio:

"I looked at our February and March records and how the performances declined rather dramatically. We were 16-17 in February in those three years and in March 4-7, and 1-6 in postseason play, including the ACC tournament."

Wellman admits at some point he had to ask himself "can that be rectified or should we move in a different direction. I chose to move on."

... and that, folks, is how you ruin a legacy.

Last edited:
For someone who doesn't "want to come across as a bzzz apologist," your posting history here indicates otherwise.

I don't give a damn about Buzz as a person or coach. I don't care who the coach is or who the players are, it takes both parties clicking for a team to have success. Buzz might be an easy target, but he isn't solely responsible for our poor free throw shooting or any other statistic. He hasn't been a successful coach and after this four year experiment he will be removed of his duties. As I said earlier, I'm looking forward to a new coach just like everyone else.

It's not Bz's fault! What exactly does a coach in the midst of his 7th consecutive losing season really say to his guys to get them fired up?

WF is now 5-29 (.147) in February and March under Jeff [Redacted]

In case you've forgotten.... Ron Wellman addressing the decision to fire Gaudio:

... and that, folks, is how you ruin your legacy.

At this point Dino looks like John Wooden in February and March compared to Bzzz.

I don't give a damn about Buzz as a person or coach. I don't care who the coach is or who the players are, it takes both parties clicking for a team to have success. Buzz might be an easy target, but he isn't solely responsible for our poor free throw shooting or any other statistic. He hasn't been a successful coach and after this four year experiment he will be removed of his duties. As I said earlier, I'm looking forward to a new coach just like everyone else.

Yeah, actually he is. When you call your players stupid in a post game presser that tells me all I need to know. He can not coach. Someday, I hope people with far more money than me realize this.

Everytime i log on here i keep hoping that I see a thread that either Bz has decided to go ahead and resign or is fired. I cant stand to even watch a game any more knowing he's still the coach. And to hear idiots like Elmore talk about a 5th year is unbearable. Please make this pathetic miserable excuse of a coach go away.

False. The coach is 100% responsible, Bzz or not. He either recruited poor shooters (his fault), can't coach FT technique (his fault), or can't build their confidence (his fault). The only thing the players are guilty of is committing to play for Bzz (and maybe poor attitudes a la Devin). Besides, FT shooting is about #145 on the list of things that matter at this point.

If bzzz isn't soley responsible for the performance of the basketball program, then why are we paying him $1.4 million to run it?

At this point Dino looks like John Wooden in February and March compared to Bzzz.

Here's a fun application/interpretation of the same stat:

Wellman told Andy Katz that the W/L record in February & March was the primary reason Dino Gaudio was fired following the 2010 season.

Bz, in his 4th season, has fewer combined wins in February & March (5) than Dino Gaudio's 2010 team (6).

I wonder what Katz' thoughts are on RW these days.

If bzzz isn't soley responsible for the performance of the basketball program, then why are we paying him $1.4 million to run it?

I'll take that gig. I can recruit culture with the best of them.

Seriously unless Dino was sleeping with a student manager, that's his and his family's thing. I mean people still talk about Tommy Hearn as this great leader who moved Wake forward, but it's not as if he didn't have his (I believe acknowledged to be true) travel agent issues.

Travel agent issues?

Back