• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do conservatives still want Chris Christie?

Had dinner recently with a friend who's lived in Jersey for the last decade. Guy's a middle of the road 'Pub (neither a moderate nor a conservative) and a transplanted Southerner. He's now soured on Christie after strongly defending him after Bridgegate and believes he's more entertainer than pol and has no shot at President. Christie's net favorability is now underwater in Jersey for the first time. If Christie's falling in Jersey which blue or swing states would he carry? Walker and Kasich are better positioned to carry blue and swing states and GOP establishment likes Jeb better. Don't see any path for Christie and the other Govs don't need him as a VP.

Walker seems to get blue state cred but there are two things to remember. First, Wisconsin is fairly purple. Second, Dems hate Walker. Once he goes national, he will be divisive and his party will realize he doesn't have a chance in a general.

The divisiveness is the appeal of Scott Walker:

After the 2012 presidential election, the conventional wisdom was that Republicans needed to win over a greater percentage of nonwhite voters. But at Real Clear Politics, senior election analyst Sean Trende argued the opposite. For him, “the most salient demographic change from 2008 to 2012 was the drop in white voters,” and specifically, “downscale, Northern, rural whites.” It’s unlikely that these voters were liberal, and if they were in the electorate, there’s a good chance they would have broken for Romney in large numbers. ...

Which brings us back to Scott Walker. Unlike Mitt Romney—who was merely adopted by the world of racially polarized politics—Walker was born in it and molded by it... If any candidate could run a rigid campaign of polarization—aimed at winning as many white voters as possible—it’s Walker.

I'd be interested to see how the decrease in "downscale, Northern, rural whites" compared to the decrease in African Americans between 2008 and 2012.

Not directing this at Wrangor/wife, but I don't understand the circular logic of depending on self "research" to make medical decisions, but only to go against the already well established ( thus researched) guidelines from the medical authorities. Can the science behind immunization schedules really be debunked or overturned so easily? I'd say no. I mean, here in the good ol' US of A you're free to piss in the wind, but herd immunity should take precedence over your personal freedom IMO

they and jenny mccarthy know more than years of science

but they speak very loudly to those who watch oprah winfrey

Walker seems to get blue state cred but there are two things to remember. First, Wisconsin is fairly purple. Second, Dems hate Walker. Once he goes national, he will be divisive and his party will realize he doesn't have a chance in a general.

If both parties wanted to energize their bases, they'd run Walker vs Warren. Would fire up both sides because of candidates they love and candidates they hate. People may not like the Bushes or Clintons, but they also don't fire up their own parties' bases too.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/20...a_in_probe_of_former_port_authority_exec.html

Another sleazy story connected to Christie. Samson was allegedly Christie's mentor. Don't know if they'll ever be able to prove any direct involvement by Christie but there sure are a lot of shady/questionable thing out there already. Christie's become a stereotypical Jersey pol and a bully and at this point.

I'd think Hillary or Elizabeth Warren would want to take on a damaged Christie in the general election, especially the debates. Jeb benefits somewhat from a damaged Christie in the field (especially if Christie competes in Iowa), so I would guess both camps lay off him a bit for now. Could see Walker's camp taking a few shots at a wounded Christie.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/...l-sports-stadium-metlife-117808.html?cmpid=sf

Chris Christie racked up a $82,594 bill at the concessions operator at MetLife Stadium during the 2010 and 2011 football seasons, the New Jersey Watchdog reported on Monday as part of a broader look at how the New Jersey governor spent $360,000 of his state allowance over five years.
The New Jersey governor spent $300,000 of that amount on food and alcohol, the report said, and pointed to the stadium bill as the most notable spending spree.

Isn't that why he gets the allowance in first place - to buy food and drink for himself and those he is entertaining? Better at Giants Stadium than at the Bada Bing.

Was Christie rooting for the Cowboys from a bathtub full of nacho cheese? That's way worse than watching a soccer game in England on Super Bowl Sunday. Carson, Huckabee, and Fiorina can now pass him up in New Hampshire.

Was Christie rooting for the Cowboys from a bathtub full of nacho cheese? That's way worse than watching a soccer game in England on Super Bowl Sunday. Carson, Huckabee, and Fiorina can now pass him up in New Hampshire.

Who was it on here that said CC was the man and headed for the promised land (was it wrangor, I can't remember)? This guy is stereotypical Jersey bully and is now finished in politics.

It was Wrangor. He's the 2016 version of Ball State Deac and John Edwards.

Yeah, I really like Christie. But even I have to admit that his 2016 is in trouble. Still a lot of time left in the ball game. But he is in a pretty deep deficit right now.

Megyn Kelly asked Christie why New Jersey voters don't think he'd make a good President (by a 65-29 margin) and Christie said because they didn't want him to stop being Governor?!? Christie's approval rating is 35%. He's lost it big time.

Megyn Kelly asked Christie why New Jersey voters don't think he'd make a good President (by a 65-29 margin) and Christie said because they didn't want him to stop being Governor?!? Christie's approval rating is 35%. He's lost it big time.

That is one of the more absurd answers you will hear on the campaign trail.

Back