• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do negative fans hurt the basketball program?

Can't we just keep all of these same arguments in one thread?

To think they don't is naive and dispalys a shockig lack of knowledge of how things are.

To think they don't is to ignore what THOUSANDS of recurits have sPECIFICALLY said

To think they don't is naive and dispalys a shockig lack of knowledge of how things are.

To think they don't is to ignore what THOUSANDS of recurits have sPECIFICALLY said

Almost got me.

At what point did rj start caricaturing himself? Are we all a part of some elaborate meta Andy Kaufman-like ruse?

I'm wondering if our fans' sustained efforts to destroy Coach [Redacted] will take a long term toll on our basketball program.

We all see what happened when the lunatics at NC State ran off a fine coach in Herb Sendek. Major names in the coaching fraternity responded by denying their best offers, time and time again.

Now, their program has been in the desert for 5 years, and I doubt that their mediocre retread, Mark Gottfried, will turn their program around, no matter how many top recruits he gets.

If we continue to abuse our coaches in public forums, I think we might face the same fate. Neither coaches nor recruits want to face the kind of abuse our "fans" are creating.

I would assume that a public school population of 35,000 per annum could do a lot more damage than 4,000 from a private school that hasn't always had a home court advantage playing in their home town. So I don't think this really moved the national meter like you suggest.

Having said that, I don't think it's good practice to hammer our coaches or players however. I do think we - as a fanbase - have every right to question the logic of certain decisions. There's a big expanse of questioning and just drubbing. And when fans vocalize they are displeased w/ what is going on, that in many ways is more valuable than being silent. No coach or player wants to go to work for a group of apathetic (non) supporters. They probably do like the idea of turning around a fanbase that is excitable. Odom did it, Skip did it, Dino did it (queue up the nastygrams for me).

But the reality of things is, that this is NOT tantamount to NCSU drumming out Sendek, it's (if [Redacted] were to leave early) the equivalent of their pushing out Les Robinson.

Please come join our new sports messaging boards where we only say nice things about everybody and we overlook really crappy coaching hires and 40 point blowouts. Can be found at blackandgoldkoolaid.com. Moderator: blackgold.

ETA: Oh, noes! I was fooled! womp womp

Last edited:
Thousands, eh?

Link 10 recruits that have said something to that effect. Ten.

Don't quote this, but somebody just copy/paste this as their own post so rjkarl can try to sneak away from backing up this ridiculous claim.

Hook...line...

Question to RKarl. How long have you had this sitting out here just waiting for the perfect moment to show up?

Negative fans don't hurt basketball programs. They might hurt a recruit's feelings, but being negative about the state of the team doesn't inherently hurt the program. It also doesn't help the program, but not being of help is not the same as doing harm. This is a very important distinction to be made.

Question to RKarl. How long have you had this sitting out here just waiting for the perfect moment to show up?

Secret%20to%20Trolling.jpg

Back