• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you get a flu shot every year?

annual flu shot?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No, strong like bull

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • Other, for some reason

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters
You guys know it's scientifically impossible to catch the flu from the flu shot, right? These are the worst #anecdotes ever. Unless you're getting the nasal mist (the option for wimps afraid of needles), then there is 0% chance you got the flu from the shot. You were going to get sick anyway, and probably should have gotten the shot sooner.

Meh, I'll take my #anecdotes as they relate to me for my personal decision moving forward over your #advancedscience. But even if you're right and I was going to get sick anyway and the shot didn't prevent it, then what the hell is the point of getting the shot? I wasted $10 and a dead arm for an afternoon.

Fair enough, but I think minimizing the spread of a disease that causes over 200,000 hospitalizations a year and killed 140+ kids in the U.S. last year is worth a relatively painless shot. Its effectiveness is certainly much lower than a lot of vaccines, but even a 60% effectiveness rate in a disease that impacts so many people and is much more dangerous to certain people than people think is worth it.

Not if it makes me sick and/or doesn't prevent me from getting sick, which seems to be the case.

Better be careful throwing around the ethnic slurs, awar. You never know who the board gypsies are.;)

Haha I wondered who would comment on that. As I typed it I actually thought, "is this still something that's okay to say?"

Meh, I'll take my #anecdotes as they relate to me for my personal decision moving forward over your #advancedscience. But even if you're right and I was going to get sick anyway and the shot didn't prevent it, then what the hell is the point of getting the shot? I wasted $10 and a dead arm for an afternoon.

It's not #advancedscience, it's just science. Do you have a college degree?

Get it earlier in the flu season, and then it's more likely to be helpful since you'll have immunity built up before exposure... and "dead arm", lol. Sounds like something a 99 lb weakling would complain about.

We have way more posters that are academically qualified to be a a mid-90's Playboy Playmate than I anticipated.

You guys know it's scientifically impossible to catch the flu from the flu shot, right? These are the worst #anecdotes ever. Unless you're getting the nasal mist (the option for wimps afraid of needles), then there is 0% chance you got the flu from the shot. You were going to get sick anyway, and probably should have gotten the shot sooner.

>0% chance that you'll get Guillain-Barré

do you know many people who got the vaccine and got the flu, either b/c it was the wrong strain that year or "from" the vaccine?

tough sell: i don't get the vaccine b/c it's ineffective!!11 either that or herd immunity. one of those things. probably.

The background rate for GBS in the U.S. is about 80 to 160 cases of GBS each week, regardless of vaccination.*

*from the CDC

that's between 1000 and 2000 people per year, including vaccinated people

out of 300 million people.

lulz. do you carry sanitizer around and wipe down your door knobs and dollar bills, too?

Link to study showing the flu shot is ineffective? or study showing that GBS odds increase by getting a flu shot?

This year's flu vaccine is only 23 percent effective against this year's predominant strain, H3N2, according to a new report out today from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In the middle of a bad flu season, it turns out the vaccine doesn't offer much protection against the flu because the predominant strain is H3N2 because it has mutated since the vaccine was created and manufactured, according to the CDC.

23% = ineffective

On very rare occasions, they may develop GBS in the days or weeks after getting a vaccination.

CDC says flu shot increases chance of GBS.

23% = ineffective

CDC says flu shot increases chance of GBS.

Developing it in the days or weeks after getting the vaccine doesn't mean the vaccine caused that development.

So you took one year's effectiveness (and I'd still argue that 23% improvement is better than none) as gospel huh, or representative of the effectiveness in all years?

And it's been better than 23% 7 of those 10 years according to those stats. My point was that it doesn't make sense to cherry pick one year. It's averaged around ~40% effectiveness over the last 10 years.

If you were 40% effective at your job you would be fired.

Back