• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Do you get a flu shot every year?

annual flu shot?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No, strong like bull

Votes: 40 31.7%
  • Other, for some reason

Votes: 8 6.3%

• Total voters
The alternative is a "worker" that provides 0% effectiveness and doesn't reduce your chance of catching the flu at all. So I think in that case I'd take a "worker" that provides me with a pretty decent reduction in risk, especially since I have insurance and it's free.

If you were 40% effective at your job you would be fired.

Depends who his boss is.

buzz-in-greensboro1.jpg

The alternative is a "worker" that provides 0% effectiveness and doesn't reduce your chance of catching the flu at all. So I think in that case I'd take a "worker" that provides me with a pretty decent reduction in risk, especially since I have insurance and it's free.

GBS is also free. So enjoy that.

Cookout, here's the arguments you should be making.

Effectiveness is not the same as efficacy. So when we test for effectiveness, not only are tests from a very small sample in a few states, the tests aren't double blind, peer reviewed studies. They're open to all kinds of bias in selection, observation, confounding, information, etc. The biases you don't like when you're doing statistical measurements. All an efficiency study does is take two populations, one that has been given the vaccine, and one that hasn't, and compare the #s of who gets the flu between the two groups. So if the # of people who didn't get the flu in the non-vaccinated group is high that year, the effectiveness numbers will look low. Or if the # of people who got the vaccine who may have already had the flu before testing is high, the effectiveness numbers will look low.

Additionally, epidemiological numbers provided in effectiveness tests come from any respiratory illnesses reported. So that's not lab-confirmed results of influenza, it's anything that looks and feels like influenza.

Basically, the tests are nonsense and probably don't come very close to measuring how well the flu vaccine works.

Regardless, they're still benchmarks that scientists use to try and get better as the viruses mutate every year. Last year was generally considered a really bum year for the vaccine, largely because there were a ton of new strains out there that didn't make it into the vaccine. The universal vaccine isn't available yet and likely won't be for 20+ years.

Until then, it's still the right idea to get vaccinated, even if you're someone who doesn't get sick. First, because what's the harm, and second, because if you're immune, you can still carry the disease and spread it to olds and youngs and kill them.

Ha. I've gotten a flu shot already this year. You guys are just easy to rile up about things that are completely out of your control.

Ha. I've gotten a flu shot already this year. You guys are just easy to rile up about things that are completely out of your control.

lols

You gotta play this game with fear and arrogance.

Fear and ignorance.

No. Fear and arrogance, you, hayseed, not ignorance!

I know. I just like to see you get all worked up.

And like fucking clockwork, today both kids are flowing snot like a firehose. Fuck you, science. Goddamn millennial paranoid bullshit.

Eh, it's your wife's job to take care of them. As the breadwinner, you shouldn't have any concern or inconvenience unless it starts to cost you money.

This is like my mom's argument that "you never wore seat belts and you are fine."

You guys know it's scientifically impossible to catch the flu from the flu shot, right? These are the worst #anecdotes ever. Unless you're getting the nasal mist (the option for wimps afraid of needles), then there is 0% chance you got the flu from the shot. You were going to get sick anyway, and probably should have gotten the shot sooner.

And Pluto is a planet. Shut up #science.

Is "Indian-giving" an ethnic slur?

Are you really asking? Yes.
Now, I will give you that the PC police might be pushing it with our kids no longer being able to sit "Indian style", but yeah gypping and Indian giving are probably no bueno.

Back