• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Sterling, Conservative Republican, set to receive NAACP

Yeah I wasn't sure what the status was of Sterling before this, just figured he was an old single dude. But no, he's married and has this overt girlfriend as well who is being sued by his wife before this all happened in the first place.

Solid. This dude is scum.

PH: how can someone be non prejudiced and discriminatory? That doesn't make any sense. If there is no motivation to discriminate then why do it?

PH: how can someone be non prejudiced and discriminatory? That doesn't make any sense. If there is no motivation to discriminate then why do it?

It's in the article

Type II: The Unprejudiced Discriminator or Fair-Weather Liberal

The fair-weather liberal is the man of expediency who, despite his own freedom from prejudice, supports discriminatory practices when it is the easier or more profitable course. His expediency may take the form of holding his silence and thus implicitly acquiescing in expressions of ethnic prejudice
by others or in the practice of discrimination by others. This is the expediency of the timid: the liberal who hesitates to speak up against discrimination for fear he might lose status or be otherwise penalized by his prejudiced associates. Or his expediency may take the form of grasping at advantages in social and economic competition deriving solely from the ethnic status of competitors. This is the expediency of the self-assertive: the employer, himself not an anti-Semite or Negrophobe, who refuses to hire Jewish or Negro workers because "it might hurt business"; the trade union leader who expediently advocates racial discrimination in order not to lose the support of powerful Negrophobes in his union.
In varying degrees, the fair-weather liberal suffers from guilt and shame for departing from his own effective beliefs in the American creed. Each deviation through which he derives a limited reward from passively acquiescing in or actively supporting discrimination contributes cumulatively to this fund of guilt. He is, therefore, peculiarly vulnerable to the efforts of the all-weather liberal who would help him bring his conduct into accord with his beliefs, thus removing this source of guilt. He is the most
amenable to cure, because basically he wants to be cured. His is a split conscience which motivates him to cooperate actively with those who will help remove the source of internal conflict. He thus represents the strategic group promising the largest returns for the least effort. Persistent re-affirmation of the creed will only intenslry his conflict; but a long regimen in a favorable social climate
can be expected to transform the fair- weather liberal into an all-weather liberal.

What is ironic is how silent Lectro has been about the RW hero Cliven Bundy's racism, yet when this happens, he makes a big deal.

I didn't make a big deal of it, oh king of insinuation -- I just thought it odd that the biggest fucking story in the news hadn't made it to the boards. I just gave it a start.

I didn't make a big deal of it, oh king of insinuation -- I just thought it odd that the biggest fucking story in the news hadn't made it to the boards. I just gave it a start.

:squint:

It's been on the boards for a while IIRC. Using context clues, it may have been worthwhile to check the thread related to the league which Sterling owns about 3%.

:squint:

It's been on the boards for a while IIRC. Using context clues, it may have been worthwhile to check the thread related to the league which Sterling owns about 3%.

Yea, you stick to whatever you think the criteria for posting is...and I'll stick to mine. And if you don't like it,guess what,you don't have to read or comment. Isn't that a novel approach.

Have a great fuggin day, eh?

Yea, you stick to whatever you think the criteria for posting is...and I'll stick to mine. And if you don't like it,guess what,you don't have to read or comment. Isn't that a novel approach.

Have a great fuggin day, eh?

so "one thought, one thread"

If you would prefer, I could copy and paste all 8,000+ posts from that thread into this one for you.

Also, I'm really surprised no one has ever posted about the Shroud of Turin on the boards. Seems like an interesting topic for discussion.

It's in the article

Thanks Skins. The example I most commonly use is being in a group and someone tells an off-color joke and you don't speak up.

Perhaps you work for an employer who doesn't want to recruit a certain type of client.

So, Donald Sterling, Liberal Democrat, is actually a registered Republican. Real airtight sources there, Lectro.

So, Donald Sterling, Liberal Democrat, is actually a registered Republican. Real airtight sources there, Lectro.

You should probably start a new thread about this, or ol' Lec won't see it.

Look, if you guys wanna talk about Donald Sterling, Conservative Republican, I'll be glad to have that discussion on that thread. Until then, let's just keep to the topic at hand, ok?

lol

Interesting write-up from Joe Posnanski comparing Donald Sterling to Marge Schott.

NBA can't ignore Donald Sterling anymore

Thing is: We don’t live in the time of George Preston Marshall now. We don’t live in the time of Tom Yawkey. Heck, we don’t even live in the time of Marge Schott. Private is public now. Secrets are on Twitter now. What’s in the dark, much of the time, comes to a bright light. This is the lesson that corporations, leaders and sports leagues are learning way too slowly ... you can’t plan on keeping your skeletons locked in closets in this new age when every cell phone is a camera and every person has a Twitter account that can broadcast news to the world. The NBA should have known that there was every chance Donald Sterling’s “eccentricities” were going blow up in a big and humiliating way.

But the people who should be watching most closely are the people running leagues and business. Because Donald Sterling is hardly the only ticking time bomb out there. I remember when Marge Schott was getting punished by the league, a prominent executive in baseball told me: “She deserves to be suspended. But you know, we probably have 10 other owners who are more backward than Marge. Maybe more than 10.”

He wouldn’t tell me who they were. In those days you could keep that stuff quiet.

Back