• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Donald Sterling, Conservative Republican, set to receive NAACP

Wow. Banned for life, ordered to pay $2.5M fine, will be forced to sell the team. http://nba.si.com/2014/04/29/donald-sterling-suspension-fine-adam-silver-clippers/?eref=sihp

Silver don't play that.

MgnbZ.gif

Kareem's take:
http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/

..."Make no mistake: Donald Sterling is the villain of this story. But he’s just a handmaiden to the bigger evil. In our quest for social justice, we shouldn’t lose sight that racism is the true enemy. He’s just another jerk with more money than brains.

So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars.

The big question is “What should be done next?” I hope Sterling loses his franchise. I hope whoever made this illegal tape is sent to prison. I hope the Clippers continue to be unconditionally supported by their fans. I hope the Clippers realize that the ramblings of an 80-year-old man jealous of his young girlfriend don’t define who they are as individual players or as a team. They aren’t playing for Sterling—they’re playing for themselves, for the fans, for showing the world that neither basketball, nor our American ideals, are defined by a few pathetic men or women."

pretty much the same point Bomani Jones makes on the Dan Le Batard Show. It's long but picks up around the 4:45 mark.

His main point is that Housing Discrimination is real problem with pretty serious real world consequences (goes into Chicago's history of housing discrimination and how that's essentially fucked over the inner city) and that it has been widely known that Sterling was an egregious practitioner of Housing Discrimination since at least 2003, and yet no one really cared. But now people care when some OWG is essentially just saying OWG things in private to his mistress.

fuck him for what? you were completely wrong. or a liar. or stupid.

Naive little boy. The guy is a total champagne liberal whose money trail proves it. If you had any experience around such wealth then you'd have a clue to how the game is played by most of the super rich.

Naive little boy. The guy is a total champagne liberal whose money trail proves it. If you had any experience around such wealth then you'd have a clue to how the game is played by most of the super rich.

He is a registered Republican. You can't escape that fact.

He is a registered Republican. You can't escape that fact.

You just don't get it. That's ok. He's registered that way because all of his giving is to liberal candidates and causes. It's a game. There are plenty of examples of guys who lost political coverage and should have attempted to at least appear diversified.

A story I know first hand is that of Bernie Ebbers at WorldCom. He had been funneling a disproportionate amount of his "political cash" to Trent Lott. When Lott's gaffe occurred during the dinner for Strom Thurmond,the writing was in the wall for Ebbers. He lost his political cover and wound in jail.

But you can see, from this screenshot of his contributions that Bernie was all over the board in his contributions...but Dems were aware he was secretly funneling large amounts of money to Lott to disperse as Lott saw fit.

jk7riw.jpg

Let's see Sterling's contributions.

Meh. I don't see the relevance of Sterling's contribution history to a discussion of his contribution history. No possible relevance at all. Quite clearly the donations of one Bernard Ebbers are far more important when gauging how Sterling gives his money that how Sterling himself doles out his money. You have to be a next level Oracle to understand such things.

Let's see Sterling's contributions.

As you know by now,Sterlings awards from the NAACP are the result of that font of bootstrap largesse as doled out by the Republican National Committee. Neither you,Liquid,Ph or any of other 7 dwarves have any idea. No big deal. You have never witnessed it.

He's a registered Republican in a blue state.

Who knew that promoting the advancement and equality of African-Americans was something only liberal Democrats could do? I mean we see in practice that few Pubs actually care but in Lectro's world anybody that gives anything to the NAACP is automatically a liberal. Sad state of affairs that even a single citizen in this country thinks supporting African-Americans automatically makes you a liberal.

Republicans give money to the NAACP. Hell both Bushes and Reagan spoke to the NAACP.

It's always fair to show that people can exude ignorance beyond any political or ideological affiliation.

I listen to you midgets ramble on and on about ignorant right wingers and the butt fucking dumb you fly over from New York to LA. You are typical progressives and it's not that I don't agree with you in many instances when considering the pride-filled ignorance we sometimes see on the Right.

Ol' Lec gives you each this little nugget to live by. It is not perfect but more often applies than not.

"Republicans are proud of their ignorance and Democrats are so smart that they are stupid"

It's always fair to show that people can exude ignorance beyond any political or ideological affiliation.

I listen to you midgets ramble on and on about ignorant right wingers and the butt fucking dumb you fly over from New York to LA. You are typical progressives and it's not that I don't agree with you in many instances when considering the pride-filled ignorance we sometimes see on the Right.

Ol' Lec gives you each this little nugget to live by. It is not perfect but more often applies than not.

"Republicans are proud of their ignorance and Democrats are so smart that they are stupid"

So you couldn't find anything on Lycos for Donald Sterling campaign contributions, I take it? A little too much puddin in your britches this morning, Lectro?

You must be really proud of coming up with that statement then.

Now comes the "I was serious at first but now I'm going to pull the aw shucks I'm just kiddin'" bullshit.

Back