• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Don't sit in the upper deck!

While true, that's not a good analogy for a university. Think of it more as paying for research and development. Little cash flow produces little results.

We're talking sports teams here, not giving to the college fund.

Seems like a chicken/egg situation to me in a way.

Whether it makes sense to give in hopes that the $$ will help solve the problem, that's not what people are going to do. And there's very little an average donor can do to express dissatisfaction than limit his/her donation. If giving stayed at the same level, the AD would certainly read that as approval.

We're talking sports teams here, not giving to the college fund.

There's not much mindset difference. In fact, you're more likely to see returns on your athletic investment in the short term. Oregon wasn't all that good until Knight started pouring money in (yes I know that very few people have the wealth that he does). DV7 is right that it is a bit of chicken/egg but if we don't donate then we'll always be 3rd or 4th best in the state.

but if we don't donate then we'll always be 3rd or 4th best in the state.

We've been bad before and we've been good before. Donations have gone and and down along with it. The idea that we'll never be good again if people continue to withhold donations simply isn't true.

Honest question:

If you were a Deacon Club donor contributing $5,000 annually (or whatever the appropriate support level) for the benefit of purchasing seats in the lower level, would you feel cheated if WF allowed non-donors to sit in the unused seats next to you?

No.

We've been bad before and we've been good before. Donations have gone and and down along with it. The idea that we'll never be good again if people continue to withhold donations simply isn't true.

Tell that to nonrevenue sports. If you don't like the way that basketball is being run then you can dogear your donations for another sport or another area. I'm no happier than any of you that we have Bz but it's not going to stop me from donating. If you don't think that a lack of DC gifts isn't going to hurt/make us worse then I'm not sure you understand how the system works.

After the first three basketball games, I have some advice for the few thousand people still attending our games: Find a seat in the lower bowl! Our attendance is terrible, but the game atmosphere will be a lot better if we're all together, and closer to the court. With entire rows available down low, there is no reason to stay in the nose-bleeds. If you've got upper tickets, just wait 5 minutes after the tip and move down.

Judging from the pics I saw it looked like there were maybe 15 or 20 people in the upper deck last night. There were wide swaths with no one. So I think people are taking your advice.

Honest question:

If you were a Deacon Club donor contributing $5,000 annually (or whatever the appropriate support level) for the benefit of purchasing seats in the lower level, would you feel cheated if WF allowed non-donors to sit in the unused seats next to you?

Only if they were non-donors cheering for the other team. Especially the kind that wear light blue and suck.

Tell that to nonrevenue sports. If you don't like the way that basketball is being run then you can dogear your donations for another sport or another area. If you don't think that a lack of DC gifts isn't going to hurt/make us worse then I'm not sure you understand how the system works.

+1

They do know that the DC supports other sports than Basketball? The Field Hockey team is hurt by their lack of donations as well.

And they failed to make the NCAAs for the first time in a long time!

Sorry, I didn't see any mention of folks who live in Winston in your original post. Regardless, you obviously win the best fan competition since you would attend every game if you lived there. Congrats! :dancindeac:

Racer, coming from an asswipe who constantly pimps his tailgate. I thought that made you the uber fan around here.

Last edited:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With our present team and the size of our school the Joel is just too large. We are not receiving any support from the students or the faculty. They don't deserve their seats being reserved for them - the team deserves better support. And I am addressing the faculty as well as the students. There are Deacon Club members and/or local fans who are not DC members who would buy those seats and show up and use them.

I would close the entire upper section - and place drapes in front of the seats to fully close the upper area.
I would - and I would do this right away - move everyone from the upper sections to the lower section into any not sold seat including the student section and the faculty section. I would only sell the lower seats for the rest of the season including the big games of Duke and UNC. We need to fill the lower seats with fans who will support the team. Sell the student and faculty seats and the open lower seats on a first come/ first to be seated basis - open seating at a bargain price. Let's fill the Joel with fans!

Buying the Joel is another story with a bunch of ideas to be addressed on another thread.

Racer, coming from an asswipe who constantly pimps his tailgate. I thought that made you the uber fan around here.

My bad...I'll stop sharing my food and inviting out of town Deacons to tailgate with us. :beer:

You could practically do blow off of a hooker up there without being noticed.

It was about like that during parts of the 90's. I remember hanging out with friends up there and being kicked out of sections that were actually "closed"...i.e. the access tunnels were blocked and the ushers ran you out of the sections if you walked to them from another tunnel. Didn't expect to see if get to that point again. :eek:

after getting hosed buying lower level tickets last year, we bought cheap ones upstairs and have just sat where ever downstairs this year so far and plan to do the same for the rest of the year. When we picked our seats there were a lot more seats available as well as significantly better seats available

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With our present team and the size of our school the Joel is just too large. We are not receiving any support from the students or the faculty. They don't deserve their seats being reserved for them - the team deserves better support. And I am addressing the faculty as well as the students. There are Deacon Club members and/or local fans who are not DC members who would buy those seats and show up and use them.

I agree that the team should get better support. But if there are so many Deacon Club members and/or local fans wanting to attend the games, where are they? There are way more empty seats in the Joel than just the student and faculty seats. Based on the first 3 games attendance, there are plenty of seats for anyone who wants them.

Back