• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Doral Moore

We get one discussion on how JC should have played more his freshman year, now Moore as well? Some of you are completely delusional.

Reading the last couple pages of the thread, I haven't gotten that sense at all...more lamenting of the fact that we didn't figure out a way to use Doral more in his sophomore campaign. But JC was playing at such a high level, you could tell Manning was reluctant to slow the tempo of the game down and play half-court sets that might have been more traditional for a big like him, as opposed to plugging him in as relief for JC and making Moore run all over the court setting high screens etc. when he wasn't \ isn't suited to that style of play.

Obviously Collins changed the calculus on how Danny probably envisioned his squad taking shape when he recruited Doral and Craw as his two foundational pieces in 2015. But that doesn't excuse Manning's failure to conjure up some more effective ways to get Moore touches and take advantage of his best assets at the time rather than pounding a square into a round hole. Again though, not sure anyone, not even Danny, expected the Deacs to have one of the most efficient offenses in the country last year, and unfortunately for Moore, it was predicated on tempo and high pnr screens.

moore averaged 3.8 ppg in 7.1 mpg as a frosh. sarr 3.2 in 15.1 mpg.

None of the big guys who occupied the 4 spot in the line up did much this past season. That is why there were 4 guard lineups.

Perfect example where raw numbers don't show everything. Doral could do one thing as a frosh- dunk. Sarr showed abilities to do many things. They are completely different players.

Perfect example where raw numbers don't show everything. Doral could do one thing as a frosh- dunk. Sarr showed abilities to do many things. They are completely different players.
that and he was a better rebounder, a better shot blocker, and a better rim protector than Sarr as a frosh.

You're really overrating what Sarr showed this year.

Sarr may have the potential to do many things well on the basketball court , but he has not shown the ability to do much of anything on the court at this stage of his career. I hope RJ is proven correct in his optimism towards Sarr.

Sarr has a ton of potential, I’m excited for his future and development. The pieces are there. Just need to put them together.

Sarr has a ton of potential, I’m excited for his future and development. The pieces are there. Just need to put them together.

Yeah. He still looked nervous at the end of the year. Once the game slows down for him and he gains some confidence, I think he is going to be very good for us.

We had a thread less than a year ago where we couldn’t come to a consensus about who should get the most minutes at C between Doral, SJM, and Sarr.

Yes, Doral had a couple of good games as a freshman, but he completely regressed as a sophomore, so let’s not pretend his improvement this year was only because he got minutes.

The dude put in work. Like it or not, you also have to give some credit to Manning.

It’s ridiculous to me that some of you are trying to use Moore’s excellent play this season to help build a case against Manning.

There are plenty of reasons to criticize Manning, but sophomore Moore was not good enough to take minutes from JC or Dinos.

This. I am pretty excited about sophomore year Sarr. He has a higher professional ceiling than everyone else on our roster coming back or considering coming back. He has a lot of incentive to get better.

Sarr is completely raw and makes tons of mistakes. Even so, he should have played over TT all year. I would have preferred Mitchel to start and Sarr to back up both.
Sarr is a good defender whose length and athleticism causes mismatches. He was not a great option but better than TT and better than the 4-guard waste and should have played more.

I can agree with that, for the most part. I still think he’s a 5 that can play spot minutes at the 4. Better for him to be on the court than sitting the bench, though.

Jesus Christ, either some of you have terrible memories or you've let your hate of Manning delude your thinking.

Doral was awful, awful, awful his first two years. The majority of posters could see something in JC, but hardly anyone legitimately thought DM could turn Doral into what he was this year.

Our fanbase needs to do two things on a semi-regular basis to settle any argument about the past:

1) Watch an entire game film from a random ACC weekday matchup from the season in question
2) Go back and read an entire game thread from a random ACC weekday matchup from the season or about the player in question

These dudes got it right:

Sophomore Doral was an absolutely terrible basketball player.

We get one discussion on how JC should have played more his freshman year, now Moore as well? Some of you are completely delusional.

Jesus Christ, either some of you have terrible memories or you've let your hate of Manning delude your thinking.

Doral was awful, awful, awful his first two years. The majority of posters could see something in JC, but hardly anyone legitimately thought DM could turn Doral into what he was this year.

Our fanbase needs to do two things on a semi-regular basis to settle any argument about the past:

1) Watch an entire game film from a random ACC weekday matchup from the season in question
2) Go back and read an entire game thread from a random ACC weekday matchup from the season or about the player in question

These dudes got it right:

You have a terrible memory or are a terrible judge of basketball potential.

Did I make up all the posters pining to see Collins and Moore play together?

The whole Moore vs. SJM vs. Sarr debate was purely based on end of the year playing time and "insider" noise that SJM was going to be the man this year. Of course, there was the typical freshman hype surrounding Sarr.

The whole Moore vs. SJM vs. Sarr debate was purely based on end of the year playing time and "insider" noise that SJM was going to be the man this year. Of course, there was the typical freshman hype surrounding Sarr.

You didn't make up all the people pining for the Doral/Collins lineup. They were mostly this year, though, retrospectively bashing Danny for not playing the two together as sophomores.

No, this definitely happened. But I'd imagine the calls for a JC/Moore duo were strongest at the height of ACC play in Doral's sophomore season. When we knew JC was a star and we wanted to see what he could do with some additional rim protection on D and with more space to work on offense. I could be wrong, but I doubt it was because of all of the potential we saw in Doral. I seem to remember general consensus being that Doral was bad​ and would never be good.

Somebody with more time and patience than me should find some old game threads.

Back