• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Drinking Tolerance

I drink Vodka and red wine.

you missed the joke.

ALOT.png

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html

Hitting 40, I've learned a few things:

1) Having even a couple of cigs magnifies hangover 5-fold
2) Less of a hangover drinking higher quality liquor straight
3) If I drink heavily early and go to bed around normal bed time and get full 8 hours, minimal hangover. If I drink heavily and go to bed late and inevitably get up early because kids/body clock, much worse hangover. If I am able to stop drinking at normal bedtime, but still stay up later and sober up before bed, minimal hangover.
4) Pounding coconut milk/green smoothies helps -- I never remember to drink a lot of fluids before bed.

I am definitely much more able to manage hangovers in my old age. I don't feel like my tolerance has changed much, but it may be because I am drinking less but don't realize it. Moving to nicer bourbon/scotch/beer has definitely helped.

Biggest change as you age is your body will turn alcohol into fat with increasing facility.

:(

Wash down a couple of Winston's own Goody's powders with a Mountain Dew and then drink copious amounts of water

Still works on hangovers after all these years.

I have a prescription for a medication that helps with nausea. As soon as I wake up I take that, 2 extra strength Tylenol, tums and chug some water. If I can, I try to eat a banana, peanut butter and toast but most I just try to fall back asleep and not die.

My tolerance is high but my recovery time SUCKS.

Somehow on vacation though I can recover like a champ....maybe it's because I'm chasing the meds down with a bloody mary instead of fucking toast.

I haven't really seen my drinking ability with beer change but if I get into liquor too hard I feel like death the next day.

What really gets me now is if I go really hard two or three days in a row like on a bachelor party for a friend, a long weekend, a trip to Vegas or whatever the hangover the day after is usually a close to two day hangover that makes me want to do nothing. It's so damn rough and i'm not even 30 yet yeesh.

Tolerance is fine but hangovers are at least a day if I get banged up for real

My tolerance has probably increased and my hangovers decreased as I've aged. I have learned what gives me hangovers and what doesn't. I generally drink liquor with minimal mixers (i.e. scotch and soda, or bourbon and coke) or just straight. I limit the red wine consumption as that shit just destroys me the next morning if I drink more than 1 or 2 glasses. White wine is fine. I stay away from beer because it makes me fat, and I don't like what it does to my gastrointestinal system. As long as I stick to those rules, I rarely have anything worse than a mild headache which is easily fixed with two ibuprofen and my usual heavy dose of coffee.

Back