• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

duke Game Thread (Thursday, 7:30, ESPN)

When is the last time we've had the Thursday evening ESPN game (mid-season like this, not counting our season openers)? Feels like it's been a while but I can't place it.

Why? Just curious as to your thinking on it.

I went last year on Thanksgiving weekend and there was a decent crowd.
Week night. Duke has kinda imploded recently. It’s almost basketball season. Coldish weather. Duke fans suck in general. 15k May be a reach honestly.

New BOTG pod episode leading into this week's football game. Ben and I briefly break down the loss, discuss the QB position going forward (including Jeremy Hecklinski), the new ACC schedule and preview Duke.

Why Mitch Griffis isn't Sam Hartman and adapting is necessary + Keys to the Game and Predictions

A note from the pod on the Wake Forest offense going forward. We note beforehand that it's not just a Mitch Griffis problem, but some things certainly fall at his feet. He will probably start Thursday, but the leash is getting shorter and shorter.

"You can't put yourself in situations that are allowing your QB to be a detriment to your ability to win...you've got to find ways to elevate your QB, even when things aren't going well, and find ways to help HIM help YOU win.

"Wake Forest needs to find "things that work."

The only thing Griffis is doing right is not turning the ball over. Is that the leash?

My biggest problem with all of this is the continued investment in a QB who has very low floor and a very low ceiling. We at least know Marucci is capable of being near average.

A note from the pod on the Wake Forest offense going forward. We note beforehand that it's not just a Mitch Griffis problem, but some things certainly fall at his feet. He will probably start Thursday, but the leash is getting shorter and shorter.

"You can't put yourself in situations that are allowing your QB to be a detriment to your ability to win...you've got to find ways to elevate your QB, even when things aren't going well, and find ways to help HIM help YOU win.

"Wake Forest needs to find "things that work."
He made some plays in the 3rd Q vs. FSU, but if that doesn't carry over to Thursday, there should be a quick hook.

The only thing Griffis is doing right is not turning the ball over. Is that the leash?

My biggest problem with all of this is the continued investment in a QB who has very low floor and a very low ceiling. We at least know Marucci is capable of being near average.
Even the lack of turnovers is a more recent promising note. There were lots of "turnover worthy plays" per PFF this season.

Really, what we are saying is that Clawson proved in the Florida State game that he is going with Griffis for Duke and for the short future. At this point, I have no clue whether that will be the right decision.

But, if decision-making and execution continue to be an issue -- especially in games that are critical to a bowl berth -- I wouldn't be surprised to see Santino.

But, along with Mitch's clear issues, he's not being helped by pass blocking, play calling or just about any other part of the offense. It's a complete failure by nearly the entire side of the ball.

I'd like others thoughts: Are our offensive problems talent, coaching or both? Is it 50/50 or more like 90/10 talent/coaching?

I get that Griffis is talent-challenged but find it hard to believe the remainder of our offense just got this bad so quickly. Especially with a number of returning players. For example, I think our RBs have been very solid this year. There are bright spots. I just don't understand how an entire offense seems to have imploded with pockets of solid personnel.

I'd like others thoughts: Are our offensive problems talent, coaching or both? Is it 50/50 or more like 90/10 talent/coaching?

I get that Griffis is talent-challenged but find it hard to believe the remainder of our offense just got this bad so quickly. Especially with a number of returning players. For example, I think our RBs have been very solid this year. There are bright spots. I just don't understand how an entire offense seems to have imploded with pockets of solid personnel.

I mean, it just shows you how important a QB and offensive line are overall. It doesn't matter how good your receivers are if you can't get them the ball. The offense imploded because that isn't happening at all, and it's an offense predicated on the ability to throw and run the ball successfully interchangeably (and really throwing it successfully to get guys to back off).

Re: Santino - I feel like I watched a different version of him than y'all did in the Pitt game honestly. He won the game with some big time throws on that final possession, no doubt, and also had a dime to Grimes, but he also was as turnover prone as we've seen Mitch to be. It's a one game sample size in his first career start, so I am more than willing to cut him some slack and see what he can do moving forward since Mitch is not going to do that. At least we saw that Santino can make throws when given time - I don't think we've seen that from Mitch at all this year.

The difference between his stats in Vtech and FSU were the interception. In one game he got pulled and in the other he didn't. Maybe Davey C is only concerned about limiting the turnovers?

I mean, it just shows you how important a QB and offensive line are overall. It doesn't matter how good your receivers are if you can't get them the ball. The offense imploded because that isn't happening at all, and it's an offense predicated on the ability to throw and run the ball successfully (and really throwing it successfully to get guys to back off).

Re: Santino - I feel like I watched a different version of him than y'all did in the Pitt game honestly. He won the game with some big time throws, no doubt, but he also was as turnover prone as we've seen Mitch to be. It's a one game sample size in his first career start, so I am more than willing to cut him some slack and see what he can do moving forward since Mitch is not going to do that.
Santino's pocket presence was remarkably better, and he was more decisive when he decided to run or throw, which are two things people have been looking to see from Mitch all season. Its not that he is a better QB, its just he didn't do the things that Mitch did, which made people upset.

His decision making certainly appears to be better and quicker, which is probably what is required to have success with the blocking we have had this year.

His decision making certainly appears to be better and quicker, which is probably what is required to have success with the blocking we have had this year.

Santino making better and quicker decisions with a smaller playbook is a better option than Mitch with a larger playbook.

Essex, you or your cohost said “there’s certainly some talent there” with Mitch. Based on what? Because Clawson said so? Games against VMI, Elon, and Vandy?

Back