• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

duke Game Thread (Thursday, 7:30, ESPN)

Agree to disagree against a 3rd string true freshman QB making his first start on a short week.
I mean not that we were the 86 Bears, but we held them to 267 yards on offense, only 86 passing. Forced 7 punts to our 4, held them to 4.4 yards per play to our 6.1. I mean it could be argued our failure to score in the red zone, two missed field goals and turnovers had a part to play. The defense literally played well enough to win by about every metric.

Guys/gals, you may want to consider saving your energy with your post game ranting, etc. After the first missed field goal I resigned myself to the fact that it would come back to haunt the Deacs. I assumed this because this is just one of those years. Sure enough, I settled back and watched the inevitable take place.
With that said, I will still pull for the Deacs to make a bowl and continue to be supportive of Clawson.

Guys/gals, you may want to consider saving your energy with your post game ranting, etc. After the first missed field goal I resigned myself to the fact that it would come back to haunt the Deacs. I assumed this because this is just one of those years. Sure enough, I settled back and watched the inevitable take place.
With that said, I will still pull for the Deacs to make a bowl and continue to be supportive of Clawson.

For me, ball game was the 2nd missed FG.

But yeah, the season's in the crapper.

Dumpster fire of a season. Kind of like how NC State fans feel every year.

Anyone attend in person? The crowd looked lol bad on tv.
I did, and the crowd was pretty bad. The internet told me the two sections closest to the endzone were reserved for the visiting fans. In practice, the first four sections (on my side at least) were majority Wake fans, and I could sit most anywhere without too much trouble. Short concession/bathroom lines though.

Clawson's record at Wake versus ACC opponents (as of 11/2/2023)
Notre Dame (0 - 3)
Clemson (0 - 10)
Pittsburgh (1 - 2)
Miami (0 - 0)
Georgia Tech (0 - 2)
Boston College (5 - 3)
Duke (4 - 5)
Florida State (3 - 6)
NC State (4 - 5)
Syracuse (5 - 4)
North Carolina (1 - 4)
Virginia Tech (2 - 2)
Louisville (3 - 6)

Clawson's overall record at Wake versus ACC opponents (as of 11/2/2023)
28 - 52
ACC Win % = 35%
ACC Loss % = 65%
this summary includes Notre Dame but excludes UVA. Clawson is 3-0 against UVA.

His overall record vs. the ACC (including two non-con games vs. UNC and the ACCCG vs. Pitt) is 31-49, with winning records vs. BC, Cuse, and UVA.

I did, and the crowd was pretty bad. The internet told me the two sections closest to the endzone were reserved for the visiting fans. In practice, the first four sections (on my side at least) were majority Wake fans, and I could sit most anywhere without too much trouble. Short concession/bathroom lines though.
It's so cool how you have so many schools so close together. Easy road trips. Minnesota football's closest road trips are Madison (3.5 hrs), Iowa City (5 hrs?), Chicago (7-8 hrs). For hockey we can get shorter trips for non-conference games at least. For hockey - St. Thomas in St. Paul (10 minutes), St. Cloud (1 hr), Mankato (1.5 hrs), Duluth (2 hrs).

I was there. Crowd was terrible.
We may not have great crowds, especially when either the weather or our team is bad - but nothing is as pitiful as a typical Duke football crowd. They came out pretty strong for a couple of games this year when things were going well - but the fans are disappearing fast. To get the students to come they raffle off cash every quarter - including $1000 in the 4th quarter, but you have to be there to win.
And that is even considering the fact that their basketball team creates lots of Duke fans.

Yes. We had a better crowd when we played Duke at home in 2019 and it was about 39 degrees and pouring rain than they had last night.

I hate going to games at Duke. It feels like we are playing in the MAC.

To be honest, I’m not even sure this game should have been protected as a rivalry game. For football, as seen by the crowd last night, I’m not sure either side cares much more about this game than any other game. Playing a ton of times and geographic proximity don’t automatically create a rivalry. Hell, I think we’re Clemson’s third most played opponent ever. That doesn’t make us bitter rivals.

This was just prior to kickoff from next to the student section. It was not a great crowd but it was cold as shit. I will also say The Wad has gotten much better since 2007 or whenever I was there last. I am told it was full for ND and Clemson this year and that most of those empty seats have been otherwise empty, and had opposing fans in them for those games. You could hear the QB clapping to snap the ball all night. Their band is also tiny and can’t be heard at halftime.

This was just prior to kickoff from next to the student section. It was not a great crowd but it was cold as shit. I will also say The Wad has gotten much better since 2007 or whenever I was there last. I am told it was full for ND and Clemson this year and that most of those empty seats have been otherwise empty, and had opposing fans in them for those games. You could hear the QB clapping to snap the ball all night. Their band is also tiny and can’t be heard at halftime.

And it was even sparser by the end despite it always being a one score game.

Back