• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

duke Game Thread (Thursday, 7:30, ESPN)

Not to excuse Griffis' bizarre unforce fumble at all, but, it seemed like the Duke QB did the same thing a couple of times? It was like the ball was super slippery or something. I know cold weather can make the leather slippery but jeez?!

Not to excuse Griffis' bizarre unforce fumble at all, but, it seemed like the Duke QB did the same thing a couple of times? It was like the ball was super slippery or something. I know cold weather can make the leather slippery but jeez?!
He did? When. He got hit on a play that popped the ball up for an INT. But I don't remember any unforced fumbles on his part.

I think it’s also telling we didn’t see Wesley Grimes at all tonight. He has been so bad this year. That’s what hurts about this loss. Our receivers were fuckin’ balling when they were able to make plays.
Was he injured? Left the program?

I would disagree that Wake got beat in all three phases of the game. Special Teams absolutely. We outgained them 400-257 and 6 to 4.5 yards a play, had a more successful 3rd down rate, had a higher red zone success rate (this was basically a tossup though) and lost the turnover battle. The two turnovers, the two missed field goals, and the idiotic penalties on their last two scoring drives were the difference.

It doesn't matter at all since we lost but I'd imagine on the "how badly did we lose" chart and post game win expectancy charts that we "did not lose badly at all" and "should have won" based on how the game played out. Of course this gets into why did we lose and I think you don't have to look much beyond ill timed Mitch Griffis, bad kicking, dumb defensive plays, and somem questionable coaching decisions.
I thought our defensive game plan was fine, good even. Our D still isn't good enough to win the game for us and will have its breakdowns, but we didn't just give up cushions on 3rd down like we have in the recent past. We forced a few punts at critical times, which is what we need to do even if we risk the occasional big play.

Special teams is getting a bit of a pass IMO. It wasn't just the missed FGs, every time we traded punts it seemed like we lost 10-20 yds of field position. Duke's punts travelled longer, and it almost every one, possibly every one, was fair caught.

I thought our defensive game plan was fine, good even. Our D still isn't good enough to win the game for us and will have its breakdowns, but we didn't just give up cushions on 3rd down like we have in the recent past. We forced a few punts at critical times, which is what we need to do even if we risk the occasional big play.

Special teams is getting a bit of a pass IMO. It wasn't just the missed FGs, every time we traded punts it seemed like we lost 10-20 yds of field position. Duke's punts travelled longer, and it almost every one, possibly every one, was fair caught.
The punt hang times were very noticeably different too.

Yeah, we got worked on those two first half drives but the defense was good in the second half until we gave them the ball at midfield twice.

The defense also forced a three and out to start the second half, which was great for our momentum. We got the ball at the 34, put together a nice drive, and then missed a 39 year field goal.

Duke's first three drives of the second half resulted in 12 plays, 22 yards, and 3 punts.

Biff has sold me - Defense is just fine.

Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

Looking forward to the glowing ogboards.com reports on the defense next weekend after a MJ Morris led squad with no offensive line and 1 receiver hangs 30+ on the scoreboard.

Biff has sold me - Defense is just fine.

Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

Looking forward to the glowing ogboards.com reports on the defense next weekend after a MJ Morris led squad with no offensive line and 1 receiver hangs 30+ on the scoreboard.

The defense played will enough for Wake to win that game last night.

It's very obvious live that he looks at one receiver and if that dude isn't open then he runs. I suspect the coaches told him to do this to avoid sacks since he has no pocket presence and can't progress through reads.

The one play where he went through some progressions and found Hite for a 1st down was promising.... Then shortly after that, he fumbled.

Back