• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke's schedule

wfu22fan

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
Seven(7)wins against teams with a losing record( NCCU, Troy, Memphis, WFU, UVA, Navy and NCSU), Miami at home and at VT( who lost to Md at home). That's a joke! When we won the ACC in 2006, we played Clemson, VT, at FSU, at Md, at UNC, at NCSU, at Miss and Syracuse at home. Duke was the only cupcake , although we just squeaked by them. Talking about the stars lining up. UNC will be their toughest game of the year .

Last edited:
You know what, though? That's better than we have done against teams with losing records. Nobody is saying that they should be in the NT hunt, which is the only place that SOS really matters in football. If they take care of business, they can get to the ACC championship, which is what every team in the conference should have as their goal. I hate that Wake lost, but I don't begrudge Duke for winning.

And if Duke wins the Coastal look who they will face...LOL, a David/Goliath scenario...

Having attended today's game, it appears both teams were close to equal in talent.

Duke won the games they were capable of winning. That's coaching.

Meanwhile, we crapped the bed with some half-ass option and essentially threw the season away in the first three weeks. We have very, very poor coaching.

Wish Duke well and hat's off to Cutcliffe. He's built a very nice program. Don't forget he replaced an ACC-leading QB and receiver from last year and improved his team's record this year.
With our bunch, we would have hand-wringing and whining that we are young for 2-3 years.

Yes, Duke's schedule is not exactly murderer's row, but I give them credit for doing what they have done this year. I think they have a very tough game ahead of them next week against Carolina, and if they win in Chapel Hill, they deserve their trip to Charlotte. If Carolina wins, there will be either a 3, 4, or 5 way tie for the Coastal Division championship, depending on the VT-UVA and Miami-Pitt games. Does anybody know all of the tiebreaker scenarios?

I forgot the ACC Championship game is in Charlotte. Does the winner get to face UNC-C or is that just an unfair matchup?

It's a joke- we should schedule NCCU next year also- although maybe not in basketball!:tard:

Yes, Duke's schedule is not exactly murderer's row, but I give them credit for doing what they have done this year. I think they have a very tough game ahead of them next week against Carolina, and if they win in Chapel Hill, they deserve their trip to Charlotte. If Carolina wins, there will be either a 3, 4, or 5 way tie for the Coastal Division championship, depending on the VT-UVA and Miami-Pitt games. Does anybody know all of the tiebreaker scenarios?

This was the breakdown headed into this week: http://www.syracuse.com/patrick-ste..._football_weekend_rewind_al.html#incart_river

ETA:

Duke wins Coastal if Duke beats UNC.

Virginia Tech wins Coastal if Virginia Tech beats Virginia and UNC beats Duke.

Georgia Tech wins Coastal if Pittsburgh beats Miami, UNC beats Duke, and Virginia beats Virginia Tech.

Miami wins Coastal if Miami beats Pittsburgh, UNC beats Duke, and Virginia beats Virginia Tech.

Last edited:
This was the breakdown headed into this week: http://www.syracuse.com/patrick-ste..._football_weekend_rewind_al.html#incart_river

ETA:

Duke wins Coastal if Duke beats UNC.

Virginia Tech wins Coastal if Virginia Tech beats Virginia and UNC beats Duke.

Georgia Tech wins Coastal if Pittsburgh beats Miami, UNC beats Duke, and Virginia beats Virginia Tech.

Miami wins Coastal if Miami beats Pittsburgh, UNC beats Duke, and Virginia beats Virginia Tech.

Thanks CumberlandDeac!

When we won the ACC in 2006, we played Clemson (loss), VT (loss), at FSU (7-6, worst FSU team under Bowden), at Md (average team, probably on par with this year's BC, at best), at UNC (3-9), at NCSU (3-9), at Miss (4-8) and Syracuse (4-8) at home.

Not exactly murderer's row, either

Didn't we lose to Clemson and VT?

Yes, Clemson on a blocked FG return, and we held out a few players against VT - such as Kenny Moore- so we could be healthy for Md. Vt wasn't in our division . We blew out FSU and Md on the road.

Seven(7)wins against teams with a losing record( NCCU, Troy, Memphis, WFU, UVA, Navy and NCSU), Miami at home and at VT( who lost to Md at home). That's a joke! When we won the ACC in 2006, we played Clemson, VT, at FSU, at Md, at UNC, at NCSU, at Miss and Syracuse at home. Duke was the only cupcake , although we just squeaked by them. Talking about the stars lining up. UNC will be their toughest game of the year .

Navy is 7-4 going into the Army game, so they could end up with nine wins if they win their bowl game.

Yes, Clemson on a blocked FG return, and we held out a few players against VT - such as Kenny Moore- so we could be healthy for Md. Vt wasn't in our division . We blew out FSU and Md on the road.

IIRC, a W meant absolutely nothing for WF @ VT in '06.

The ACC title hunt would come down to the final week, regardless, because of H2H records and the dynamic created by a potential 3-way tie. Wake had every reason to prepare for MD the following week & not VT.

Ironically, it was that game that made people in Blacksburg question the legitamacy of the crown that year.

Complaining about Dukes schedule is sour grapes. Duke has had a great year and shown an ability to overcome adversity. They lost their first two ACC games of the year both at home, which would've been too big a blow for a lot of teams to come back from including ours I'm sure. Instead they've just gotten better as the season has unfolded, because of good coaching I believe. I agree UNC will probably be their biggest challenge of the season, UNC is playing well and they'll be very motivated. Sure things have worked out in their favor in a lot of ways this season, but anybody that has a clear memory of 2006 knows a lot of things worked out in our favor in 2006 too. We had to overcome some things like season as well and I will always be extremely proud of that team for doing that, but things worked out in our favor in that season. For the record IF Duke gets by UNC I don't think they've got a chance against FSU, but I would be pulling for them.

Complaining about Dukes schedule is sour grapes. Duke has had a great year and shown an ability to overcome adversity. They lost their first two ACC games of the year both at home, which would've been too big a blow for a lot of teams to come back from including ours I'm sure. Instead they've just gotten better as the season has unfolded, because of good coaching I believe. I agree UNC will probably be their biggest challenge of the season, UNC is playing well and they'll be very motivated. Sure things have worked out in their favor in a lot of ways this season, but anybody that has a clear memory of 2006 knows a lot of things worked out in our favor in 2006 too. We had to overcome some things like season as well and I will always be extremely proud of that team for doing that, but things worked out in our favor in that season. For the record IF Duke gets by UNC I don't think they've got a chance against FSU, but I would be pulling for them.

Good post. Agree with everything, minus pulling for Duke against FSU in the ACCCG.

No sour grapes here but it can't be denied that dook has played Miami without Johnson, Wake without Camp, and will play the tarholes without Renner and perhaps, criminal charges still pending, F$U without Famous Jameis- although that likely will not make much of a difference since they'd still lose by 30 instead of 50 in the ACCCG. And no I will never ever pull for dook!

The planets have aligned for dook's run.

There's no question they did for ours too -- the ACC was terribad that year, especially at the QB position. I find it hard to believe a division winner will EVER have a QB worse than Reggie Ball.

Also, I'm not sure UNC is worse off with Williams at QB

No sour grapes here but it can't be denied that dook has played Miami without Johnson, Wake without Camp, and will play the tarholes without Renner and perhaps, criminal charges still pending, F$U without Famous Jameis- although that likely will not make much of a difference since they'd still lose by 30 instead of 50 in the ACCCG. And no I will never ever pull for dook!

The planets have aligned for dook's run.
Agree 100%.

Back