• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke's schedule

Duke has beaten better teams than that this year -- VT and Miami. They were great wins because of their significance, but that was the worst FSU team in the last 30 years and Maryland was nothing special
That's bullshit. VT lost at home to Maryland the next week and Miami isn't good - we had them beat, remember ? And the Duke - Miami game was in Durham and the Canes were without their best player. If we had Camp, we beat Duke. The teams were pretty even talent wise. Duke had better running backs

Forgive me, but I don't see anyone that Maryland team beat ranked in the final top 25 in '06.

Who between @ USC, vs #2 FSU (who BC was competitive with for a half), @ top 10 Clemson (who BC was competitive with the entire game) and @ UNC (during the Heels' five-game win streak) would that Maryland team have beaten?

I'll help you out -- NO ONE
Lots of closet Dookies on this board. Won't matter, because Dook won't beat UNC and would have no chance against FSU.

I think FSU and Clemson are clearly better than anybody in the ACC in 2006 but that the league was much deeper in 2006. So if you don't have to play either team, you are playing a much easier conference slate.

The Coastal Division is absolute crap this year.

VT loses to sub .500 Atlantic team Maryland at home, 4-3 BC on the road and Miami barely beats us at home and then loses 3 straight games by 18 points or more. The 2006 Wake team would bitchslap the 2013 Wake team up and down the field.

Yes

Lots of closet Dookies on this board. Won't matter, because Dook won't beat UNC and would have no chance against FSU.

Neither would 2006 Wake (though I think we'd have at least a slightly better chance than this Duke team)

Wake 2006 Reg Season schedule - opponents' reg season records
Syracuse 4 8
Duke 0 12
U Conn 4 8
Ole Miss 4 8
Liberty 6 5
Clemson 8 4
NCSU 3 9
UNC 3 9
BC 9 3
FSU 6 6
Va Tech 10 2
MD 8 4
Combined Record 65-78 = 0.455

Duke 2013 Reg Season schedule - opponents' records through 11 games
NCCU 5 7
Memphis 3 7
Ga Tech 7 4
Pitt 6 5
Troy 5 6
Navy 7 4
UVA 2 9
Va Tech 7 4
NCSU 3 8
Miami 8 3
WFU 4 7
UNC 6 5
Combined Record 63-69 = 0.477

It's a joke- we should schedule NCCU next year also- although maybe not in basketball!:tard:

We had Presbyterian on the schedule along with La Monroe & Army. Doesn't get much easier than that.

Beat ULM and Cuse or any team with a winning record beside MD and we go to a bowl. That's a low bar for success.

Wake 2006 Reg Season schedule - opponents' reg season records
Syracuse 4 8
Duke 0 12
U Conn 4 8
Ole Miss 4 8
Liberty 6 5
Clemson 8 4
NCSU 3 9
UNC 3 9
BC 9 3
FSU 6 6
Va Tech 10 2
MD 8 4
Combined Record 65-78 = 0.455

Duke 2013 Reg Season schedule - opponents' records through 11 games
NCCU 5 7
Memphis 3 7
Ga Tech 7 4
Pitt 6 5
Troy 5 6
Navy 7 4
UVA 2 9
Va Tech 7 4
NCSU 3 8
Miami 8 3
WFU 4 7
UNC 6 5
Combined Record 63-69 = 0.477

we almost went 6-6 vs that schedule...

The difference is the coaching. Against Miami, Duke ran a hurry up run offense. It took a while to have make progress, but by the 2nd qtr it proved to be effective, and by the 4th qtr, Miami could barely tackle. Just simple, smart coaching. Noel goes out with an injury, and the next play Duke goes deep for the first time in weeks - and gets a 56 yard TD.

But we DID almost go 6-6. In that year many of our opponents -- Duke, NCSU, UNC, BC and Georgia Tech to name them -- had opportunities to engineer game-winning or tying drives at the very end of each game, but their QBs were so bad -- and our defense made plays -- so we won those games.

A few years later, we still played a ton of close games but we lost them all to better QBs and with a defense that made fewer plays.

Now, we aren't even in the games to begin with.

Please don't try to ruin my memories of 2006 . I'm a lifelong WFU fan and it's all I gave to cherish other than 1979 .

Not my intention. If anything, pulling out all those close games makes it more remarkable and special.

I'll love that team forever and for always. I'm glad we were good when we were, versus the Dukes of the world having to potentially go up against Jameis & co. nowadays

Swank and that stellar defense made great memories that for one special year Lobo's offense couldn't ruin.

But we DID almost go 6-6. In that year many of our opponents -- Duke, NCSU, UNC, BC and Georgia Tech to name them -- had opportunities to engineer game-winning or tying drives at the very end of each game, but their QBs were so bad -- and our defense made plays -- so we won those games.

A few years later, we still played a ton of close games but we lost them all to better QBs and with a defense that made fewer plays.

Now, we aren't even in the games to begin with.

Maryland was also a pretty amazing win as I recall, right?

Last edited:
Maryland was also a pretty amazing win as I recall, right?

It was certainly an awesome game to attend. The offense was pretty much coming off a bye and was healthy/clicking on all cylinders.

Here's the game story

and one tidbit I either missed or had completely forgotten:

Wake Forest became the first team in ACC history to go 6-0 on the road.

OK, so I have this game confused with another. I was thinking of one where Alphonso intercepted a pass in or near the endzone.

Happened deep in the fourth quarter, and I think the game was in Winston.

Please don't try to ruin my memories of 2006 . I'm a lifelong WFU fan and it's all I gave to cherish other than 1979 .

1992 was a pretty memorable year too. After we barely beat App St in the first or second game, I told a friend that we would be lucky to win another game. How wrong I was.

Back