• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Duke's schedule

Is there really any question that we played a much tougher schedule in 2006? Come on! The 30-0 win at FSU and the win at Md were among the best wins in school history.

Duke has beaten better teams than that this year -- VT and Miami. They were great wins because of their significance, but that was the worst FSU team in the last 30 years and Maryland was nothing special

I probably would rather see FSU win the ACC championship game instead of Duke, if only to give the ACC a shot at the NT.

Is there really any question that we played a much tougher schedule in 2006? Come on! The 30-0 win at FSU and the win at Md were among the best wins in school history.

Jeff Bowden was forced to resign after they lost to Wake. FSU was terrible that year.

Duke has beaten better teams than that this year -- VT and Miami. They were great wins because of their significance, but that was the worst FSU team in the last 30 years and Maryland was nothing special

Miami had to beat us in the last minute to avoid losing 4 straight and VT also lost to Maryland at home in addition to Duke in a game with 8 Ints

Maryland in 2006 is the best team out of those 4.

Miami had to beat us in the last minute to avoid losing 4 straight and VT also lost to Maryland at home in addition to Duke in a game with 8 Ints

Yeah, I knew that already.

BC '06 would be the better argument -- though even then Ryan was very gimpy that game, something something planets aligning, and Tom O'Brien Tom O'Briened.

But clearly 22's '06 memories are clouded by his massive Duke butthurtedness

Last edited:
To say that Maryland in 06 was on par with this year's BC team at best is just a silly statement. Maryland went 9-4 (all 4 losses to ranked teams) and beat two ranked teams.

We also beat a ranked BC team that year.

Duke's best win was either over a reeling Miami team or a VT team that has imploded.

Doesn't matter, Duke has beaten who they needed to beat, but none of those teams right now are even close to being ranked.

The only team that is receiving votes in either poll that Duke beat is Miami with 5 coaches poll votes.

Last edited:
To say that Maryland in 06 was on par with this year's BC team at best is just a silly statement. Maryland went 9-4 (all 4 losses to ranked teams) and beat two ranked teams.

Forgive me, but I don't see anyone that Maryland team beat ranked in the final top 25 in '06.

Who between @ USC, vs #2 FSU (who BC was competitive with for a half), @ top 10 Clemson (who BC was competitive with the entire game) and @ UNC (during the Heels' five-game win streak) would that Maryland team have beaten?

I'll help you out -- NO ONE

Maryland won at Clemson that year and they couldn't have beaten this UNC team on the road. LOL. whatever. Or against USC in between losing to Washington State and beating Utah State at home by 3?

Seems you have as much of an agenda here as the poster you are criticizing.

Last edited:
You can disagree with me, but I hardly think it's a silly comparison.

Do you really think the ACC 2006 was on par with where the conference is at today?

I think FSU and Clemson are clearly better than anybody in the ACC in 2006 but that the league was much deeper in 2006. So if you don't have to play either team, you are playing a much easier conference slate.

The Coastal Division is absolute crap this year.

VT loses to sub .500 Atlantic team Maryland at home, 4-3 BC on the road and Miami barely beats us at home and then loses 3 straight games by 18 points or more. The 2006 Wake team would bitchslap the 2013 Wake team up and down the field.

Last edited:
VT loses to sub .500 Atlantic team Maryland at home, 4-3 BC on the road and Miami barely beats us at home and then loses 3 straight games by 18 points or more. The 2006 Wake team would bitchslap the 2013 Wake team up and down the field.

Of course, the same is true in reverse for several teams -- Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC.

The ACC could still easily have 11 bowl eligible teams this year (versus 8 of 12 in '06) -- in a year where Clemson and FSU have lost to no one but each other. So if you're saying it was deeper in '06 that's pretty subjective, and is an argument I would not agree with.

It's all subjective, but I think the ACC is pretty weak after the big 2. BC, Maryland, Clemson and FSU in 2006 were all better than the 3rd best team in the Atlantic this year (BC???) and the Coastal was stronger in 2006 as well.

IIRC, a W meant absolutely nothing for WF @ VT in '06.

The ACC title hunt would come down to the final week, regardless, because of H2H records and the dynamic created by a potential 3-way tie. Wake had every reason to prepare for MD the following week & not VT.

Ironically, it was that game that made people in Blacksburg question the legitamacy of the crown that year.

if only the school in Blacksburg wasn't stomped by Georgia Tech at home that year.

Thank goodness Calvin went off that day and we got the Jackets instead of the Hokies in Jville.

BC, Maryland, Clemson and FSU in 2006 were all better than the 3rd best team in the Atlantic this year (BC???) and the Coastal was stronger in 2006 as well.

The first part is arguable (except for FSU, they were baaaaad), but the second part just isn't. A 5-7 UVa team was the 3rd best team in that division that year. Duke went 0-12 and UNC was a dumpster fire.

Oh, and the division winner had REGGIE F'IN BALL at QB. Not sure anything else really needed to be said

Last edited:
Just looked at the final sagarin ratings for the Atlantic . 5 of the 6 teams were rated in the top 40 in 2006-2007. FSU was 33rd.

This year, only 2 teams are rated top 40. BC is 56, Cuse is 68, Maryland is 72 we are 90th and state is 100th.

Actually, there is very little to support that argument that FSU in 2006 wasn't clearly better than the 3rd place Atlantic team this year. They mostly lost a bunch of close games to really good teams with the exception of the trashing we gave them.

And they went out to Cali and crushed a mid level Pac 12 team in their bowl game.

Last edited:
The top 5 teams in the Coastal are all Sagarin Top 45 this year.

Which is really my whole point. We shouldn't act like we beat a bunch of titans while Duke has completely lucked their way to the title game (if they make it). There are way more commonalities than differences

Last edited:
In fairness, the Sagarin is showing that the coastal is stronger this year than in 06-07, but still with only 3 top 40 teams.

The top 5 teams in the Coastal are all Sagarin Top 45 this year.

Which is really my whole point. We shouldn't act like we beat a bunch of titans while Duke has completely lucked their way to the title game (if they make it). There are way more commonalities than differences

Our division was more competitive and we had to play the best team in the other division in the regular season. Our schedule was harder. I don't think Duke has lucked into anything. The best teams in their division have slumped at the end of the year and they took advantage of it. They still had to win the games.

But overall, we played a more difficult conference schedule than they did.

Last edited:
Back