• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

DUNE Mafia -Game over, CIVS WIN

Credit to Knight for making me squirm (as I am still always doing as mafia) on Day 2. I really was at a baseball tournament and forgot the game was starting Monday morning. I got back just in time to submit my investigation but did not want to drive by vote and look shady. Then I was on the road as I mentioned and had my phone but I am not Eagles (as a player, or driving player) so when I pulled into the driveway and got to the laptop I was in a tie for the lead. I had found Raise and was getting an investigation each night for House Corrino. I was hoping to basically turn into a cop-like role without saying so much. Then Knight threatened his vig hit (d'oh by me) and I bought it like a child and dropped that claim. IF that hit was blockable, I look very good to the Civ cause, mafia loses it's 4th player in Corrino and we get rid of a BG. Toogs would have figured me out soon enough anyway and I thought when we got GS we were going to be in great shape because he's a solid player, but I really handcuffed my team. Good work by the Civs and sorry to both mafias for taking some of the competitiveness out of the game.

Definitely think we go standard next time around to see how everyone's style changes without trying to figure out role claims and storylines from the theme, and just reading people, etc.

Thanks Redwing and SLT. Sorry WFU, Hist, GS....and, um, Smiley?

I can't explain why my claim came back as not true, but assuming that Kanhoji is telling the truth, the places to look for mafia 1 are:

-Historicus
-Dadeacs
-Bentley

This post.

He did it another time late in the game too saying at least one of Diego, damo, historicus is mafia, right around the time Diego hinted at being the BG but didn't outright say it. So, diego =/ mafia, damo I thought was a civ, leaving just you.

Rule of 3 is basically if you're mafia you throw out two civs who you think might be mafia and throw a teammate in that mix. Allows you to say you said xyz might be mafia even when its a teammate, but gives you other civs to lynch in the meantime in case no one takes that bait.

Since I thought 03 was mafia, and the other two names he threw out were people who were civs, it made it somewhat likely you were mafia. Until then I hadn't really considered you as much as Da/Bentley.

totally up for a standard game next time around. (angel, cop, mafia)

yeah i like theme games, and I enjoy running them more than vanilla games, but too often it comes down to roleclaims at the end, rather than how people have played.

I've got a Hockey themed one I've been mulling over for months, and now that I've got one game under my belt, I'll probably get working on it. I won't bring it out until January or February, though... maybe even hold it until May for the playoffs...

themes can be fine, but we should have a game where, even if there's a theme, the roles are posted, and most people just get standard vanilla civ roles. meaning mafia could have a specific person in a theme, and so can the cop, bodyguard etc, but most roles are just 'you are a civ'.

YAY I WIN TOO. SANDWORMZZZZZZZ.

I wasn't around the first night to search for Paul/kill someone, so they random auto-picked someone for me, so TECHNICALLY I got Paul on my first try. I was sweating there though, way to go civs.

Why on earth did mafia not hit QT immediately?

regarding themes: what about just not letting people claim names, but free to claim any role?

Good game, mods. Still didn't understand jack shit about the story, but good job.

I know most dont like it, but I still love really simple games, where the Cop is a cop and the mafia is a mafia who kills people. For some reason, I love the simplicity.

Still a fun game.

Good game, mods. Still didn't understand jack shit about the story, but good job.

I know most dont like it, but I still love really simple games, where the Cop is a cop and the mafia is a mafia who kills people. For some reason, I love the simplicity.

Still a fun game.

3 weeks a month, straight games with 12-15 or whoever will play. One monthly big theme where everybody plays. That's the golden ratio.

Why on earth did mafia not hit QT immediately?

regarding themes: what about just not letting people claim names, but free to claim any role?

We had the first hit and IIRC, we worried that she would be protecting herself. With only 4 members and so many people in the game, we decided the risks weren't worth it.

Also "4" is generous, considering smiley wasn't, um, active.

I think a Prohibition-era mafia game would be fun. Capone, police, crooked cops, bootleggers, but still a pretty straight-forward mafia/cop/angel/civs game.

And with super complicated games, sometimes claiming anything (without knowing what the exact roles are specifically where --aka the athletes game that Eagles ran where there were literally hundreds of roles that "could" be claimed) is fine, but sometimes it's better to just make the rule that you can't claim ANYTHING unless you're "cop," etc.

I don't remember the exact phrasing on the rules when I ran those games, but it helped from getting too complicated. I remember The Decision mafia game worked out that way and it ended up being pretty successful.

If I am ever guaranteed to be on a computer for more than 20 hours a week, I might run a game again.

should have sent smiley to do the hit. Suiciding at BG is almost always the right play. And BG's can almost never protect themselves.

Knight straight up gives me a run for his money with his batshit crazy posting. I might need to step my game up/hustle harder.

The game I had pegged the best was the Fraggle Rock game during the Quadlympics. I remember there were so many restrictions on characters (only post on odd/even days, only post a certain # of times per day, only talk to certain other people, etc) that I made a spreadsheet and slowly cancelled each character out. That only works on games with TONS of rules, though.

And with super complicated games, sometimes claiming anything (without knowing what the exact roles are specifically where --aka the athletes game that Eagles ran where there were literally hundreds of roles that "could" be claimed) is fine, but sometimes it's better to just make the rule that you can't claim ANYTHING unless you're "cop," etc.

I don't remember the exact phrasing on the rules when I ran those games, but it helped from getting too complicated. I remember The Decision mafia game worked out that way and it ended up being pretty successful.

If I am ever guaranteed to be on a computer for more than 20 hours a week, I might run a game again.

yeah claiming in a game as wide open as that, especially where roles don't necessarily matchup with conceptions (you were T.O. if I remember and the angel) is alright.

my problem with theme games where everyone has a role but you can't claim is it puts a lot of onus on the mod to make decisions about who to kill based on hinting etc. can be pretty tedious.

i think the ratio of standardish games with roles posted etc and then mixing in a bigger fun theme game once a month or so would be good.

Back