• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eli

I always thought he was a wus until halfway through this year. In previous seasons, it always seemed like he was playing not to get hurt. Afterall, he had a lot of antiquing to do in the off-season.

But

This year he has just been a monster. Forget the 8 comeback drives. Forget the 40something TDs. Forget that he was teaching Victor Cruz how to be a receiver throughout the season (Cruz often makes the wrong read and cuts the wrong way, more so earlier in the year). His offensive line this year is average at best. He got pummeled, particularly late in the year. Maybe he was lucky he didn't land on his shoulder or take a big hit to his knee, but jesus green bay and San Franciso pounded him. Several of those hits were uncalled roughing the passer. Dallas tried but simply couldn't catch him. This year, he has just been awesome at sliding around in the pocket and he has not shied away from contact. Pretty amazing to me considering how fragile he seemed or at least seemed to me up until this season.

He's still the fourth best QB in the league at best, and that's only because his brother is hurt.

He's still the fourth best QB in the league at best, and that's only because his brother is hurt.

You say that like it's a bad thing to be ranked behind 2 sure fire HOFers (Brady and Brees) and one very likely HOFer (Rodgers).

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...proves-clutch-athletes-york-article-1.1017795

Go find another quarterback who brought his team from behind twice in the last minute of a championship game like this. Oh, you get to do it once, the way Montana did against the Bengals in Miami one time. You do it the way Ben Roethlisberger did to the Cardinals in Tampa. You’re not supposed to do it twice. Only now Eli Manning, who takes his place right now with Lawrence Taylor as one of the two Giants who will be remembered best.

“Maybe there is something in his DNA,” Giants co-owner John Mara said. “Because the bigger the pressure, the cooler he is.”

Mo Rivera closed out all those October games. Eli is a different kind of closer. He closes by coming from behind in the Super Bowl. Twice.

Other quarterbacks have more Super Bowls. Give him time. By now we know he doesn’t need much. As great a clutch athlete as we’ve ever had here. Not just an elite quarterback Sunday night.

Best in the world.

You say that like it's a bad thing to be ranked behind 2 sure fire HOFers (Brady and Brees) and one very likely HOFer (Rodgers).

No, its a great thing to be #4. Its apparent though that for the next week (at least), we're going to be hearing how Eli is possibly the best QB in the game, which is simply ridiculous.

Edit to add: And, as if on cue, Moon's above post proves my point to a tee.

No, its a great thing to be #4. Its apparent though that for the next week (at least), we're going to be hearing how Eli is possibly the best QB in the game, which is simply ridiculous.

Not one single person is claiming he's the best in the game. Anyone that does so should be mocked endlessly.

He just meant for last night.

I think a healthy Roethlisberger's right there to make the debate interesting. His ability to get out of trouble and buy time has won the Steelers a lot of games.

It's not an insult to say Eli is one of the top 5 qb's in the league. You can debate the order but he's there.

Last edited:
I don't get this thread. I feel like Giants fans hate him more than anyone. At least he gets an off season of peace before they start ripping on him again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/02/06/superbowl46/index.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- I still can't get over that throw from Eli Manning to Mario Manningham. As much as I respect the catch (it will be the greatest of Manningham's career, no matter how long he plays), I am in awe of the throw. How did Manning make that throw? Why make that throw? Why did he pick the target of the guy with a corner in coverage and a safety flying over to crush Manningham? The 38-yard throw -- which began an 88-yard, Super Bowl-winning touchdown drive that Bill Belichick will see in his nightmares -- is just one more reason to never, ever question how good Eli Manning is. He will have some crappy games the rest of his career, because two or three times a year he stinks. But I ask you: What quarterback alive do you want with the ball in his hands in the last two minutes of a big game?

Thought so. Eli Manning.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/02/06/superbowl46/index.html

INDIANAPOLIS -- I still can't get over that throw from Eli Manning to Mario Manningham. As much as I respect the catch (it will be the greatest of Manningham's career, no matter how long he plays), I am in awe of the throw. How did Manning make that throw? Why make that throw? Why did he pick the target of the guy with a corner in coverage and a safety flying over to crush Manningham? The 38-yard throw -- which began an 88-yard, Super Bowl-winning touchdown drive that Bill Belichick will see in his nightmares -- is just one more reason to never, ever question how good Eli Manning is. He will have some crappy games the rest of his career, because two or three times a year he stinks. But I ask you: What quarterback alive do you want with the ball in his hands in the last two minutes of a big game?

Thought so. Eli Manning.

Actually, my answer would not be Eli Manning. But, whatever. Hyperbole at its finest. Keep in mind that Giants D held the Pats to their second lowest points total all year. He does not get a chance without them. Eli is good, but enough is enough.

Eli and company had a little something to do with that massive TOP advantage too.

Baby Eli is all grown up.

swingers.jpg

It's not an insult to say Eli is one of the top 5 qb's in the league. You can debate the order but he's there.

Make it a top 6 and I agree with you:

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
P. Manning
Roethlisberger
E. Manning

Tough to argue with Eli knocking any of the above out of a ranking of the top 5.

Make it a top 6 and I agree with you:

Rodgers
Brees
Brady
P. Manning
Roethlisberger
E. Manning

Tough to argue with Eli knocking any of the above out of a ranking of the top 5.

I will take Eli seven days a week and twice on Sunday before I take Rapesbuger. Keep that tool in Shitsburg.

Yup. Eli over Big Ben. Hard to argue about the top three, but there are 28 NFL teams out there that I'm guessing wouldn't mind having Eli.

Back