• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Elko DOES leave Notre Dame to take DC spot at A&M

Weird how our economy has market forces to figure out how people in all kinds of jobs should get paid yet we can’t figure out how to apply that to college athletes.

What you and the others advocating large increases to player compensation are purposely leaving out is that 99% of female college athletes would have to pay to play college sports in a true "market" model.

Weird how our economy has market forces to figure out how people in all kinds of jobs should get paid yet we can’t figure out how to apply that to college athletes.

Except that extracurricular activities, which sports are and have always been along with band and cheerleading etc., AREN'T JOBS.

Except that extracurricular activities, which sports are and have always been along with band and cheerleading etc., AREN'T JOBS.

They may not be jobs, but they sure produce revenue for their company

What you and the others advocating large increases to player compensation are purposely leaving out is that 99% of female college athletes would have to pay to play college sports in a true "market" model.

I’m advocating for stipends on par with grad student stipends. I’m saying figuring out how to pay people isn’t rocket science.

Here is how it rolls. Either start paying the athletes or the whole money laundering scheme is going to collapse.

ND fans really think Elko did them dirty because apparently he verbally accepted an offer for $1.5M from ND and then TAMU came back with more money after Aranda turned them down for good. I agree that isn't exactly the way you want it to go down, but if I haven't put pen to paper and someone comes back with 20% more money of course I am going to take the money. But, they think it means he's a disloyal prick who only cares about money. I mean, it's a job, of course money matters. And, he owed Clawson a hell of a lot more loyalty than he owed Notre Dame, and I don't think any of us (or Clawson for that matter) were bothered about him leaving Wake.

ND fans really think Elko did them dirty because apparently he verbally accepted an offer for $1.5M from ND and then TAMU came back with more money after Aranda turned them down for good. I agree that isn't exactly the way you want it to go down, but if I haven't put pen to paper and someone comes back with 20% more money of course I am going to take the money. But, they think it means he's a disloyal prick who only cares about money. I mean, it's a job, of course money matters. And, he owed Clawson a hell of a lot more loyalty than he owed Notre Dame, and I don't think any of us (or Clawson for that matter) were bothered about him leaving Wake.

I think we were all disappointed he left because we wanted him to stay. But yes we all understood his opportunity and didn't begrudge him taking it.

No one will acknowledge this

I’m advocating for stipends on par with grad student stipends. I’m saying figuring out how to pay people isn’t rocket science.

Many graduate programs do not offer stipends, including medical school, law school, business school, dental school, etc. Graduate stipends in other fields at Wake vary between $6000 and $23,000 per year. Not all grad students have full tuition coverage. The stipends do not cover room, board, etc. So the best financial package for grad students at Wake is $38,000 tuition + $23,000 stipend = $61,000 per year.

Athletic scholarships at Wake cover room, board, books, etc. There is also ~$3000 given to each student athlete for "cost of attendance." Athletes at Wake get tuition/room/board/etc $69,000 + cost of attendance $3000 = $72,000. So athletes on full scholarship are already receiving more than the absolute best graduate student packages, and this doesn't even include the training table, clothes, other gear, sports med, etc that athletes receive.

Elko DOES leave Notre Dame to take DC spot at A&M

Point taken, Rafi, but i wouldn't call any of medical, law, business, dental, etc. "graduate programs". They are Professional degrees.

Point taken, Rafi, but i wouldn't call any of medical, law, business, dental, etc. "graduate programs". They are Professional degrees.

OK.

Are graduate stipends taxable?

I’m glad you understood his point. I didn’t. No one is comparing compensation across the university. People love shitcloud these discussions without realizing models already exist for compensating students.

I do agree with you Ph that compensation model issues don't foreclose payments. It's one of the weakest arguments. But, as I maintain, that point never should be reached. I deny your basic premise as you know.

They already compensate student athletes. You just disagree with the extent.

Back