• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eric Cantor about to lose his primary

This. The Republican Party is cannibalizing itself. It is rapidly becoming a political party that is no longer capable of winning a national election, given current and future demographic trends. It remains to be seen if that, in the long run, will be a good thing for the country....but I tend to doubt that it will be.

This is correct but as an Independent who remains unconvinced on "common sense/comprehensive"immigration reform the Democrats have done nothing but whine about the House since passing the Senate bill. The House just became more conservative and less likely to compromise.

The President/ Dems will still have to make one more new legislative attempt even if there's no hope. The unilateral presidency can be a dicy thing to defend.

cantor was one of those most responsible for the gridlocked, shitiness in the house. replacing him with a junior shithead with less allies makes the republican house weaker. i'm fine with that.

numbers, I think you're missing a key factor here. Cantor doesn't just suck as a conservative. He doesn't just suck as a leading House Republican. Cantor sucks as a person.

I don't know anything about Dave Brat but I can't imagine that I'm going to agree with much of anything an economics professor at Randolph Macon with a graduate degree in theology and self proclaimed tea partier brings to the table as far as policy or ideology goes.

Maybe he's nicer than cantor but it don't personally vote on niceness unless the candidates are relatively similar.

cantor was one of those most responsible for the gridlocked, shitiness in the house. replacing him with a junior shithead with less allies makes the republican house weaker. i'm fine with that.

There are people lined up to take Cantor's place with more polished tea party and obstructionist viewpoints than Cantor I would wager. We shall see. Who is likely to replace him?

couldn't agree more. it's redic. let's burn this mother down.

@bkf

couldn't agree more. it's redic. let's burn this mother down.

@bkf

Yep agree with that too. Gerrymandering, the house of representatives' structure, and increasing political polarization are a fatal combination for an effective governing body.

The damage being done to this country by gerrymandered congressional districting cannnot be overstated. Dave Brat got about 35,000 votes today. 35,000 votes.... in a nation of more than 300,000,000 people. When you have 80-90% of the 435 congressional districts constructed in such a way that winning low turnout primaries is tantamount to winning the election, you have candidates who are primarily concerned with appealing to the most fringe elements of their political party....because they are the voters most motivated and most likely to vote in primary elections. Compromise and "working across the aisle" are unpardonable sins to these fringe voters. The result is that you get a congress which is totally uninterested in working together to solve the nation's problems.

Well said, bkf. Cantor got almost 223K votes in 2012. Less than two years later, he gets defeated in a primary by someone with 35K.

The narrative was that the Tea Party was finished only 8 days ago. I don't remember hearing anything about Cantor being in danger.

The damage being done to this country by gerrymandered congressional districting cannnot be overstated. Dave Brat got about 35,000 votes today. 35,000 votes.... in a nation of more than 300,000,000 people. When you have 80-90% of the 435 congressional districts constructed in such a way that winning low turnout primaries is tantamount to winning the election, you have candidates who are primarily concerned with appealing to the most fringe elements of their political party....because they are the voters most motivated and most likely to vote in primary elections. Compromise and "working across the aisle" are unpardonable sins to these fringe voters. The result is that you get a congress which is totally uninterested in working together to solve the nation's problems.

Gerrymandering, IMO, is the absolute biggest threat to the democratic process today. The will of the people is pointless if your party can't lose.

this is the type of result that will lead to the republican party's separation from these nuts. at some point you can't keep trying to out-crazy crazy.

He was up 52-39 in polls three days ago. Bigger turnout in the primary this year than last year already and only around 75% of ballots are in.

this is the type of result that will lead to the republican party's separation from these nuts. at some point you can't keep trying to out-crazy crazy.

Hahaha. Hell no. "These nuts" are the Republican base.

They're the ones they can count on to show up at the polls, for better or for worse.

Hahaha. Hell no. "These nuts" are the Republican base.

They're the ones they can count on to show up at the polls, for better or for worse.

dude, that's the point. if they want to appeal to that crowd then any of their time is limited as long as they can be painted as too washington. hell, who could have guessed you could beat cantor of all people that way? being in the repub leadership then turns in to a kiss of death. that is not good for the party.

Eric used to be a pretty good guy. I hated that he became a Wingnut. It's simply amazing that he is getting his ass kicked by a guy who has to be an even bigger dickhead.

Today's Republican Party really sucks.

You guys whine about gerrymandering like it's some recent invention.

yes we only whine about brand new issues facing this country like gerrymandering, racism, gun violence, etc., etc.

Cantor's completely hosed-won't be Speaker and has no shot at Senator or Governor. If he can't beat a nobody in the primaries because he's not conservative enough, good luck winning a nomination (via ballot or convention) for higher office after Cooch and EW Jackson were on the ballot last year. At least Boehner can retire, but Cantor still needs to work and his value as a lobbyist took a huge hit tonight. Since he still needs a job, Boehner and Cantor can't go Thelma and Louise and force an immigration vote on the way out the door. Yahoos may want to vote against any kind of immigration reform, but that would be another disaster for the party nationally.

Ryan's got a logjam in WI behind Walker and Johnson, but if truly thinks he's got a shot at President down the line he wants no part of Speaker with this collection of yahoos. Some Tea Party clown will be the next Speaker. Maximum number of votes the GOP will have in the Senate is 54, so nothing will get done for the next two years. No chance of impeachment, but there will be a lot of kooky votes coming out of the House.

Back